Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning the flute

Options
  • 26-09-2005 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've wanted to learn the flute for some time but haven't been able to find a teacher / afford lessons, but my boyfriend enrolled me for lessons as a 30th birthday present.

however - he's enrolled me for classical flute.

i dont wanna cause hassle by trying to change it - they made an exception & fitted me in as a late enrolment because it was a surprise present.

i presume that since i havent played before, classical flute will be a good basis to learn the instrument & i can switch to trad lessons later? or should i really try to change tutors?

any thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I think you should just go for it with the classical flute. It will be a good learning experience. You can always switch to traditional later on. I know I'm a bit late in replying, but whatever you choose, I hope you're happy with!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭pinkyirl

i ended up swopping to the trad class cos my practice flute is a trad flute (i had forgotten that the classical has keys & mine only has 6 holes!!)

first lesson last week, it's gonna be a tough one but looking forward to getting stuck in

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good for you, hope you enjoy it.
    And the bf shouldn't be miffed, it's the thought that counts and sure he must know it's well appreciated. All good so long as he's not hoping you'll become a snake charmer. Watch him in case he's building a wicker basket or going down the pet shop.

Seriously though, I know a guy who plays trad flute and it is just amazing. It's the bendy notes (particularly with reverb acoustics) that give the haunting mood, like the lonesome boatman by Mr Furey, I've aways thought that such music is popular because it can express profound grief in a way that is enchanting, nuanced, and delicate yet powerful, whereas someone bawling their head off is just a downer.

Another one I like is Mna na hEireann by na Connerys. Wish I had the attention span to stick with learning an instrument, the reward is so great on so many levels.

I hope you enjoy your lessons! Tell us how you're progressing!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

would smoking have much effect on playing the flute? at the the moment im just starting and it feels like my lungs gonna collapse. So not really too sure if its smoking or I'm playing wrong?

(Sorry to thieve your thread btw :P)

• Advertisement

would smoking have much effect on playing the flute? at the the moment im just starting and it feels like my lungs gonna collapse. So not really too sure if its smoking or I'm playing wrong?

(Sorry to thieve your thread btw :P)

It could be the smoking (as that would have an effect on any kind of breathing activity including singing and playing musical instruments). It could also be because you're a beginner and you haven't got a feel for the breathing yet. Just give it some time. You might want to try not smoking and see if it helps. Much luck...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭pinkyirl

have had 3 lessons sofar & I am really enjoying learning a new instrument. hard enough to get time to practice, am only averaging about 3 hours a week & i need more time. the first 2 weeks were very infuriating - couldnt get a sound of the flute half the time, but its improving. trying to hold it properly was tough aswell - trying not to pick up bad habits...but i'm getting there slowly but surely!

i've learnt 'britches full of stitches' (can get a good tone on this now but still playing it painfully slowly!), 'the battering ram' (disaster with the high notes in the centre) 'frank o'neill's jig' (alrightish) and my new one for this week is 'rolling in the rye grass'

my teacher is inspiring, dunno how i'll EVER be able to play a tune to his standard - (probably never) and he has lots of patience listening to me struggling through what he probably thinks are simple tunes...but i suppose everyone has to start somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good for you, sounds like fun.

I guess the saying "life is a journey, not a destination" only goes so far when you want to play like a pro asap. But the practice you're doing is developing muscle memory, so it's like you're laying the foundations of future performances. You'll be getting a payback on that investment for years to come, and so will your audience, all good! :)

Advertisement