Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed --quickest to set up?

• 26-09-2005 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm returning to Dublin next week after being in the states for a few years.

I need wireless internet access more or less as soon as I arrive. So, I'm wondering, which company will get service set up for me the quickest?

Ideally, I'd like to order service this week so that it's ready and waiting when I arrive next Monday.

Thanks!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Good luck! thats all i can say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

clearwire www.clearwire.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The wireless guys will send by courier. You will need to be present to receive the equipment. Or have someone you know ready to sign for it. The time for sign-up to dispatch can be a bit funny.

More importantly it just might not plain work. This is the usual effect with the wireless broadband.

I have been talking about non-LOS products like RipWave and the other pseudo and actual WiMax product offerings.

For an LOS service that requires mast mounting, 2 visits are required. For the LoS test someone will need to be there, and for the equipment install, you really really really want to be there, to do your own network quality tests before they leave.

Welcome to ireland and our 20th century broadband infrastructure.

There is no realistic possibility of having broadband as soon as you arrive. My advice is to get in touch with someone who is a customer of one of the non-LOS services, and arrange to borrow their modem to do your own signal quality tests. For the LOS based services see if you can see the high-sites from your residence.

Basically raise your confidence that the service will work in advance of ever contacting them.

Advertisement