Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned

Options
  • 26-09-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

I was banned from the soccer forum and i accept this so not here to argue that point now the reason i was banned was due to a person i sponsored making a very muppettry comment , now my fault i sponsored him , as everyone on boards knows im not a spam merchant or a muppett with a keyboard its my favorite forum and ive never been banned anywhere before so what i wanna say is i want to know do i get to take my sponsorship back on this guy ? i will never sponsor anyone again unless i know them

stephen / Sarge^
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

You knew the system. You sponsored the guy who was banned. You've just got to grin and bear it.

You've already learned from the experience. So you'll think about who you sponsor in future. Therefore there is less chance of a similar muppety incident involving someone you sponsor in future. Thus the soccer forum is a more pleasant place for all involved.

The system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Amz wrote:
    You knew the system. You sponsored the guy who was banned. You've just got to grin and bear it.

You've already learned from the experience. So you'll think about who you sponsor in future. Therefore there is less chance of a similar muppety incident involving someone you sponsor in future. Thus the soccer forum is a more pleasant place for all involved.

The system works.

For a started did you read my post , i know the system i accepted teh ban no one is debating that apart from you , my post was basically looking for feedback on clafication whether i am sponsorer of this guy after the ban ? i think its a great system and i agree it does work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ill sponsor sarge to get back in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

To quote the Access Requests charter:
    For existing Soccer Board members who are sponsoring someone bear in mind if that person is banned permanently within 3 months of being granted membership you will be banned for a month. If a second user you nominated is banned then you will be banned permanently. Be sure of the person you nominate. If a user is temporarily banned within the 3 months of obtaining access, the sponsors will also be temporarily banned. 25/10/2004

That should clear up what you want to know?

I'll sponser Sarge back in too if it helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks im only after reading it again, thanks so looks like im stuck with this guy Baz_ :) hope he doesnt mess up again ,

to blahblah06 and Papa Smut : id have no problem with sponsorship if i needed too , thanks bt im banned for just a week ill be back updating the eircom league thread with my nonsese talk about the glories that be in dundalk Fc , Thanks lads

I can see all the other soccer posters prasing the day they dont have to listen about dundalk Fc , only a week lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm not suggesting that Sarge's ban be lifted. He should serve it as per regs.
    Same for the other guy.

But consider this.

Can Sarge withdraw his sponsorship of the aforementioned muppet and force him to look for a new sponsor?

This would put the troublemaker out of the forum until he can convince someone that he is reformed enough for them to sponsor him.

Hagar wrote:
    Same for the other guy.

But consider this.

Can Sarge withdraw his sponsorship of the aforementioned muppet and force him to look for a new sponsor?

This would put the troublemaker out of the forum until he can convince someone that he is reformed enough for them to sponsor him.

That is a great idea , and gets my full backing !

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I agree fully.

If Sarge is stuck with this guy then the rules need changing and quick too.

A few weeks back I had to post and basically beg for 2 sponsors to access the soccer forum. Thankfully 2 guys did sponsor me but I dont know them and they dont know me.

In all honesty I only know 1 person who is a memeber of the boards and he is not on the soccer forum. So I had to rely entirely on the trust of 2 strangers and vice versa.

Thats a really really STUPID way of getting on the soccer forum

So change the rules a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hagar wrote:
    Same for the other guy.

But consider this.

Thats not a bad Idea and it would have the added bonus of keeping the forum fresh with new contributors as existing users would be more likely to sponsor someone if they knew they could revoke it if the new user acted the errm Muppet,

It would be extra work for the the moderators though in what is already a busy forum to mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I cant find where it says it, but you afaik, you can withdraw sponsorship.

Just fyi Sarge, a good way of making sure this doesnt happen, is check the sponsorees previous posts. Its a good way of seeing whether the person is a twit or not.

gimmick wrote:
    I cant find where it says it, but you afaik, you can withdraw sponsorship.

Just fyi Sarge, a good way of making sure this doesnt happen, is check the sponsorees previous posts. Its a good way of seeing whether the person is a twit or not.

I know that and i always check the guy i sponsored has been a member of boards since day 1 Baz_ and is a nice guy.Who did apolgies to me , just in fture i want to be given the option on if i want to continue my sponsorship of aperson.If its more work for the mods id be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gimmick wrote:
    I cant find where it says it, but you afaik, you can withdraw sponsorship..

The ability to withdraw sponsorship was brought in temporarily a few months back but as far as I can recall it was only available for a week or so
    gimmick wrote:

Thats always wise but it's no guarantee of not getting a ban. The user I sponsored that got me banned was a well established boards user with no previous. The soccer forum braught the devil out in him, It can do that to you. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hagar wrote:
    But consider this.

But consider this.

what happens if the first member removes their sponsorship of the second one ?

ye olde domino effect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The Muppet wrote:
    Thats always wise but it's no guarantee of not getting a ban. The user I sponsored that got me banned was a well established boards user with no previous. The soccer forum braught the devil out in him, It can do that to you

I'd definitely agree with this, arguments can get flamed, especially after someone's team has just been beaten. Sometimes allowances can be made from the mods for this. I think it's run pretty well actually.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

surely the guy sarge sponsored is now permanently banned so he can't get sarge in trouble again....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Hagar wrote:
    Same for the other guy.

But consider this.

I'm all for this system. I know no-one on Boards and wouldn't be in the soccer forum if it weren't for Sarge who sponsored me, so being able to withdraw sponsorship is a good idea because it can kick out muppets with-out the need for perma-bans, and it means Sarge or someone else could be willing to sponsor someone else, as opposed to not in-case of getting perma-banned in the 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

But consider this.

what happens if the first member removes their sponsorship of the second one ?

ye olde domino effect :D

Too right Capt'n. There is no way of revoking a sponsorship. If you did not like somebodys views for example you could say, "Revoke", if somebody disagreed with you "Revoke" and if somebody slagged off your team in a constructive manner "Revoke" get the idea.

As has been said repeatedly by the people who use the boards, the system works, in the most case people will check previous posts and make an informed decision if they can, if somebody only has one post then I for one would not sponsor them, but that is just me.

As Sarge has already said, he has no problems with his ban and he will prob think more about his sponsoring of other users, after three months his association with the user will be no more, so here's hoping all goes well until then.
    muffler wrote:
    I agree fully.

If Sarge is stuck with this guy then the rules need changing and quick too.

A few weeks back I had to post and basically beg for 2 sponsors to access the soccer forum. Thankfully 2 guys did sponsor me but I dont know them and they dont know me.

In all honesty I only know 1 person who is a memeber of the boards and he is not on the soccer forum. So I had to rely entirely on the trust of 2 strangers and vice versa.

Thats a really really STUPID way of getting on the soccer forum

So change the rules a little.

As has already been explained to you in the mod forum, there are different rules in different forums for a reason, and as you already admitted, you are only new here and trying to get a feel for what is acceptable. If somebody comes up with a usable solution then it would be considered but ad hoc removal of sponsorship is not one. As for STUPID, please think about what you are saying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The following two lines from the Access Requests charter will still apply to you Sarge.
    For existing Soccer Board members who are sponsoring someone bear in mind if that person is banned permanently within 3 months of being granted membership you will be banned for a month. If a second user you nominated is banned then you will be banned permanently.
    If the other guy gets back in, then another ban for him will be permanent, so scenario 1 applies, and you get a months' ban.

As for STUPID, please think about what you are saying. :rolleyes:

I was referring to the method and not the person. So what are you saying - I'm not entitled to an opinion.

Yes I am at a disadvantage in that I have not been a mod or been on the soccer forum for too long but unless I am banned I think I am entitled to post my opinions here without being "ticked off"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The method is there for a reason, reasons that you continue to be unaware of and yet with that lack of info, you name the system that was brought in to combat these problems as STUPID. So please explain why you think it is stupid or quit slating a system that has worked for a long time, and which people only complain about when they get banned.

So please explain why you think it is stupid or quit slating a system that has worked for a long time, and which people only complain about when they get banned.

Does that mean Im banned :D

I already explained why I thought it was stupid using my own acceptance to the soccer forum as an example.

2 people who I do not know and worse, they dont me, have vouched for me and that is the only way I could get on board.

I could be the biggest ******** around for all they know and if I were to post something offensive then they suffer as well as me. Thats whats crazy about it.

The golf clubs use the same method for new members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

As T4TF has already said, once you sponsor a person you are stuck with them for 3 months. We did temporarirly bring a chance where you could revoke sponsorship a while back after there was a complete outbreak of muppetry and we hoped people would take the sponsordhip thing more seriously.
    However the majority of people still go by the ridiculous rule of person supports team x, so we'll sponsor them. TBH if thats the way people are going to look into sponsoring someone they deserved to be banned for their sponsorship when the person they sponsored got banned.
    I'm not saying this is the method the OP used as his criteria for sponsorship, but people only take the whole sponsorship thing seriously when they themselves getr banned for someone they sponsored.

seamus wrote:
    The following two lines from the Access Requests charter will still apply to you Sarge.

If the other guy gets back in, then another ban for him will be permanent, so scenario 1 applies, and you get a months' ban.

No , No i got a one week ban not a month ban. As clearly stated by the mod on the forum.

Another thing , i always look into who i sponsor. Altogether ive only ever sponsored 3 people since the start up. I dont sponsor people over their teams i research their previous posts and look into who im getting assicotated with.The guy i sponsored made a mistake i accept that and maybe he will accept it as well. But i think i should be entitled to withdraw my sponsorship and this guys forced to look for another sponsor this is a system that could and will work . like i said if its too much work for the mods id be more then willing to help.

What would be the point of the sponsorship system if people could withdraw sponsorship just because it suits them i.e. the person they sponsored gets banned?

You know as well as I do that people would only withdraw sponsorship of a poster if it meant avoiding a banning themselves.

That would make a mockery of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The system is slightly flawed also given the fact everybody thinks Pigheads a tosser.Poor Pigheads tried and tried in vain to get sponsored but invariably gets blanked or taunted.Surely a system could be put in place where posters who have kept there nose clean for say 6 months automatically get entry into the forum.I feel as though i have enough knowledge on the beautiful game to be a worthwhile contributor.Sadly however it looks like the Pig will never enter the Forum of Dreams

And the only person to blame for the situation Pighead finds himself in is Pighead.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"2 people who I do not know and worse, they dont me, have vouched for me and that is the only way I could get on board.

I could be the biggest ******** around for all they know and if I were to post something offensive then they suffer as well as me. Thats whats crazy about it."

They are very foolish then. Just as Sarge was foolish.

We got sick of the rows coming from the soccer forum and this has worked very well.
    Sarge was foolish to support someone he didnt know and others will be less foolish if they see what happens when one is foolish. He's on a month ban from the forum as a smack on the wrist. I am presuming that the user he sponsored is on a permanent ban. If so the problem doesnt arise as he no longer has to worry about that user saying naughty things on Soccer. If thats not the case then I'd consider allowing him to retract his sponsorship (AFTER his month ban is up) and make the offender seek a new sponsor before he is allowed back.
    I leave all this with the footie mods who are doing a great job from my pov.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Maybe if someone you sponsor gets banned you can revoke sponsorship, but you still take your ban? It's hardly fair that if someone you sponsor turns out to be a muppet and you're both temp banned, you have to just hope he doesn't do it again.

If that makes sense

Edit: And Dev says it better than me, and before me. That must be why he's an admin.

Advertisement