Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband

• 26-09-2005 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

just a few questions help would be very appreicated
    i know everyone says satellite is crap and all that but i live in the middle of nowere (hospital,co.limerick) so its my only choice.
    Who are the best?
    and i know everyone says upload speed are terrible but how fast are they exactly and would they be faster than isdn upload speeds

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brad_boy

well, i guess u have no choice...

and it doesnt suck that bad, hehe...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hospital got a GBS project approved in the first call for funding, way back when.

Ironically, it's a satellite project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I am in a similar position, satellite is my only option....I have been using Central Point for a couple of years until recently (www.cpsat.co.uk) it appears they are having some problems... so may not be an option for you ...
    Keep well clear of Silvermead (www.silvermead.net) No support, no contact and a complete pain to deal with.
    There is also AVC broadband (www.avcbroadband.com), But i have not had much joy in getting any sort of correspondence from them..
    There is also E3Broadband (www.e3broadband.ie) but i have not had much response from them either.
    These are all Astra providers ie; Using your existing sky minidish with a quad LNB to provide your one-way broadband needs)

There are other providers that use different satellites etc and do 2-way also..
    Perhaps some other people here can give an idea or views on other satellite providers...as i am too loking for an alternative now ... :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

on astra

www.netsystem.com
    www.cpsat.com

not on astra

www.europeonline.com

google for opinions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Try Skydsl i use it and it is a brilliant service. it is a one-way download only system, whatever you downlaod comes via a satellite dish and whatever you upload goes via dial-up/ISDN, You have to dial-up to use this service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Robxxx7 wrote:
    These are all Astra providers ie; Using your existing sky minidish with a quad LNB to provide your one-way broadband needs)

There are other providers that use different satellites etc and do 2-way also.

Can someone clarify for me? what is the difference between a 1-way and 2-way satellite system? I presume 2-way allows one to upload? And is a phone line needed for this?

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smonkmaster

1 way means that your downloads come via the satalite and your uploads go via a phone line which you have to pay for. 2 way means that both up and downloads go via the satalite, no phone line needed. Check out this website for all broadband providers in Ireland
    http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/ServiceListWF.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Basically as Smonkmaster said .... 2-way is very costly, whereas 1 way (if you already have an existing sky dish)will be a whole lot cheaper..
    You will need to replace the existing LNB with a quad one (easy enough to change) then run a cable to the PC and attach it to your Sat card (Skystar2)
    Download some small software from the provider..set up the connection on the PC and away you go ...
    Just remember for 1 way Phone line for upload ..satellite for download.

I did have a 1mbit Satellite BB until recently and generally got abou 110-120kbit download speeds .... Its no use for on-line ga,ing etc as the delay (latency) is too much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

this shower http://www.broadband4ireland.net/ dont use astra for their one way system , they use Telecom 2D-K10 (8º West) or eBird A2 (33º East) instead .

NOR do they publish install charges so beware .

their t and c page was lifted off a 2 way provider ....bad sign that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Keep on topic please, off topic posts have been pruned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement