Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIS10020: Early Medieval World 300-1000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I didn't have the tutorial from that class yet and I didn't know about that essay. When is it due and how does it affect your final grade?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

100 words is less than an A4 page - welcome to real world kids! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I know it is, it's not the length, it's just that I don't know what I have to write about... I kinda do now, though.

Ruskie4Rent: It's not an essay, just 2 short pieces. It counts for 10% I think, and it's due for Thursday @ 4pm, I think. 10% for this, 20% for an argument analysis that we'll be given some time after this, and then 20% for an essay. I presume then the final exam will be the other 50%...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is that Elva Johnston's course?

Don't summarise, you're not in secondary school anymore. Whatever you write, put your own viewpoint in it. Personally, I'd probably focus on whatever slant one of the sources put on one of the figures. Those sources will always have some sort of bias in their telling about people and events - decide what you think it might be (or not, maybe you think it is accurate) and decide what you think the figure in question might really have been like.

It sounds like you've been given plenty of scope, and 100 words isn't exactly taxing, you won't need or be able to dig too deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

DaveMcG wrote:
    Ruskie4Rent: It's not an essay, just 2 short pieces. It counts for 10% I think, and it's due for Thursday @ 4pm,
    In for Thursday?? :eek: I'm almost positive that my first class won't be untill Friday!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Different tutors set different work Ruskie, so dont worry, you'll find out whatever yours wants you to do in your own tutorial!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its fairly Easy. Its only 200 words in total and it has to be handed into the office on Thursday (i think) . Its only Who they are , what they did and how they affected the political status quo of the time. ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for the help folks.

Still some problems though:

1. I've written one of the pieces, but it came to 226 words altogether... She said 100 words, so does that mean at least 100? Or maybe 75-125? Is 226 too many? I could try cut it down, but it'd take alot of work, lol.

2. How do I lay it out? As it stands, it's just...

Theodoric the Great

main body of text

Obviously that's just a provisional layout :p But what information do I have to put on it? Name, course, tutor, date...? What else?

3. Where do I hand it in? I know, the History department, but whereabouts in there? Is there just an obvious box somewhere that I drop it into? I think one of my friends said something about having to get a certain folder or something to put the pieces in before submitting it... I forgot to ask them though, woops! Anybody got any clues on this? Do I just drop it in as is?

Thanks and sorry for the long-windedness and ignorance :o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

1. If she said 100 words she probably wants you to keep it around that to show that you can write within guidelines. 226? There's only one person who can tell you if that is too much. Why don't you go ask her what she's looking for?

2. Layout-wise, I'm not sure how many different ways you can lay out 100 words... :p

3. Your essays are handed in (2 copies) to the secretary with their coversheet. As for this, again, why don't you just ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

IS that due in Thursday or Friday? Which tutorial class are you in Dave? Might be in the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Things have changed a lot over the summer, and to be honest, while people here giving you advice is lovely, the only people who can really help you is either your tutor or a fellow first year. Things have changed a lot from how second and third years remember them. So, so I realise this is a bit late, but I haven't been able to post for a while.

If you have any questions, e-mail your tutor. They like people to get involved, and e-mailing them shows that you are. Plus, they get payed for it, so why not?!? Plus, they might give you hints as to what they're looking for exactly through the way they phrase what they're saying to you.

Best of luck!

Advertisement