Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House values and broadband

Options
  • 26-09-2005 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Would you rent or buy a property that didn't or couldn't have broadband access? I'm a bit surprised this isn't more of an issue with a lot of people moving out to satellite towns and into estates that are outside of towns and would skirt the ADSL coverage as defined by Eircom. I'm incidently in a marginal area for ADSL but I can get it plus a few other options.

I think the lack of broadband would negatively affect the value of a house. I was toying around with buying a house a bit further out in the sticks to get a bit more space, but once you start looking at a semi-rural location you can kiss broadband goodbye or certainly any form of choice. I would personally not buy a house that wasn't broadband enabled.

Would you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would prefer not to. However, I like most people, would not let this concern me. "Hmmm, the house is probably the best I can get in my price range but no broadband? You just lost yourself a sale" Seems unlikely.

There is obviously a greater demand for housing than BB and I would be amazed if it affected house prices at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wrong. About 5% of contracts involving second hand houses have questions on BB

In Galway there was a noticeable difference in house prices between parts of Knocknacarra based on BB not reaching west Knocknacarra until early this year. This levelled off once NTL arrived about March.

Some of those asking about BB were really using it as leverage to get money off from the vendor , not because they cared :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Wrong. About 5% of contracts involving second hand houses have questions on BB

Questions on BB, not were sold on provision of BB. I had questions on ability to travel to the moon for my place. :D

I would be amazed if people were told no BB and then turned down the house because of no availability, unless they needed it for work or similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thems the 5% who ask head :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It would concern me. When I moved to Letterkenny 10 weeks ago, one of the main reasons for choosing this place over others was the phoneline was already in, and it passed the DSL line test.

Of course, when I buy a house in the hopefully not too distant future, sure the whole country will have BB access! Yeah, right! :(

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Blaster99 wrote:
    Would you rent or buy a property that didn't or couldn't have broadband access?
    Not on your life.

I know I'm in a minority, but it's a growing minority. I've also had it confirmed - by an auctioneer - that the value of my house is increased by the fact that it has broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, if anyones looking for somewhere to move to on the basis of having good Broadband, come to Co. Longford. Our county has Five ADSL enabled exchanges which cover the vast bulk of the county including many rural areas (like where I am) and PABXs, while I believe common, are not prevelant.

If the five exhanges aren't good enough for ya', Lastmile Broadband also has one wireless base station at Edgeworthstown and there is a plan for up to 4 more, including one which I would have a line of sight to - if I didn't already have ADSL :D

Longford Town has a DSL exchange (obviously) and what appears to be an extensive MAN/cable setup, by Crossan Cable It's mad, we have what appears to be a whole inventory of BB services ...

From what I've been reading, Co. Longford is an anomoly nationally :mad: Which is a real bummer. I guess you guys have your work cut out for you.

Advertisement