Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Wrestler of All Time!!

• 26-09-2005 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Was wondering who people think is the greatest of all time?

My pick would be the Nature Boy!

You just have to watch Unforgiven to see that he still has it and he's not afraid to make fun of himself either!

Plus he is always putting young guys over unlike Hogan. The only way Hogan would put Cena over at Wrestlemania XXII was to be promised a win over HBK at Summerslam 2005!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 corpus

If Hogan puts Cena over at Mania 22 (which I think it should be Austin) I will go outside and shoot my self!

o by the way the greatest ever was Bruno Sammartino, how many people do u know that holds a world title for seven years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Kurt Angle is the greatest "wrestler" that has been in pro-wrestling. If you're talking showmanship, then Hulk Hogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Yeah, Angle is the Greatest in my opinion.
    Amazing wrestler, great intensity and ring presence, great on the mic and he can be really entertaining - remember when he sang "Jimmy Crack Corn, and I don't care" when he was running buddies with Austin & McMahon (Gog I miss those days :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Greatest wrestler of all time or greatest fan pleaser?

If it's pure wrestler, you have to look at Terry Gordy, Bret Hart, Inoki, Mike Marino, Angle, Keiji Muto, Bob Backlund, to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Goldberg...just kidding. Either Bret Hart or Kurt Angle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ric_Flair

Who else could I pick other than Flair...

I genuinly belive theres no-one even close to him. I could watch his dvd time and time again, and see more about the man, and thats just his dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'll go for Stone Cold, even though I'm more a mick foley fan. Kurt Angle is a fantastic wrestler, and a great heel, and I loved him as a face back in 2001, but he seems (to me) to be just a step below what Austin was.

I probably never saw most wrestlers in their prime, such as Flair, except for his brief time with wwf back in the early nineties, and that wasn't overly impressive.

The same with pretty much every other wrestler, except for Hogan and The Rock. And when it comes down to these three, it's always Austin that has to come out on top.

Now that said I'm pretty ignorant of a lot of wrestling, having never (or rarely seen) any WCW, or indy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Austin for me too. I think to be the greatest wrestler means not only the most skills in the ring, but the most charisma, mic skills and look (all in all Austin has the most of these attributes combined).

Obviously people like Angle, Bret Hart and HBK were much better in the ring than Austin, plus Hogan fans could argue he is/was over with the fans than him, but I don't think anyone ever had the "total package" (nothing to do with Luger) in terms of the attributes I mentioned above as good as Austin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

yeah Nature Boy aswell without a doubt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BlackOps

My pick would be the Million Dollar Man, what a fantastic heel him and Virgil where a great act back in the day, feuds against the Macho man and the Big Boss Man where cool, he was the man in charge of austins arrival in WWF as the ringmaster and the million dollar belt, okay so i might be getting a little nostalic. Ill agree Austin and Angle are both outstanding remember Austin against Booker fighting in the shopping center, Angle and kissing Stephaine(both great little promos and skits). Million Dollar Man for me though..

(Anyone remember Angle doing the moonsault of the cage??)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

For me it's too close to call between Flair and Angle so I'd like to give half of my vote to each.

Oh alright then - Flair it is, even though Angle is a better wrestler I have too much admiration for Flair and his legacy to vote for anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

D-FENS wrote:
    Austin for me too. I think to be the greatest wrestler means not only the most skills in the ring, but the most charisma, mic skills and look (all in all Austin has the most of these attributes combined).

Obviously people like Angle, Bret Hart and HBK were much better in the ring than Austin, plus Hogan fans could argue he is/was over with the fans than him, but I don't think anyone ever had the "total package" (nothing to do with Luger) in terms of the attributes I mentioned above as good as Austin.

EXACTLY what he said!! Just in from work and too tired to contribute :D:D But all il say is i kinda gave up on wrestling from WM 11 until just before WM14 (see doink the clown, lawrence taylor etc for this happening) until when flicking through the channels on a saturday morning and seeing some bald guy wreckin the gaff big time!! LEGEND.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It's Jeff Jarrett, no contest. Now close this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Big Daddy!

Professional_Wrestler_Big_Daddy.png

I take it you guys are talking about the American stuff?

I used to watch Big Daddy & Co when i was a kid. I don't think UK wrestling was ever shown on RTE was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Nah, Big Daddy was on World of Sport on ITV. Big Daddy was really crap though and it's a pity he's what people remembered from that show by most people. I cringed when I see his matches with Giant Haystacks. You can still see World of Sport on the Wrestling Channel if you have Sky Digital. I got to see two of the WOS guys wrestle in November in Coventry. It was a great match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

It has to be Bret Hart for me or at a push the nature boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Moogle

corpus wrote:
    If Hogan puts Cena over at Mania 22 (which I think it should be Austin) I will go outside and shoot my self!

o by the way the greatest ever was Bruno Sammartino, how many people do u know that holds a world title for seven years!

If that logic holds the greatest wrestler would be Bob Backlund because he held the world title for the longest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mick Foley = legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ric_Flair

I think Jake the Snake deserves an honourable mention..

Not for what he has become, but on his day he was exactly what any heel aspires to be, had ring pshychology down to a t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The Ultimate Warrior or Ricky The Dragon Steamboat. Pure quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Foley is God. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Moogle wrote:
    If that logic holds the greatest wrestler would be Bob Backlund because he held the world title for the longest.

No, Backlund was champ for just under 6 years alright, but Samartino's first title reign was from '63 to '71

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

Ultimate Warrior - Lex Luger - Stone Cold... all legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Sifo wrote:
    Ultimate Warrior - Lex Luger - Stone Cold... all legends

A Looney, a stoner and a women beater? All tarnished legends.

The Rock is still the best entertainer of them all but Angle is the best wrestler.

Ric_Flair wrote:
    I think Jake the Snake deserves an honourable mention..

Not for what he has become, but on his day he was exactly what any heel aspires to be, had ring pshychology down to a t

I think WWE should hire him to teach the new guys about psychology e.g. Cena knows sweet fa about it.

I'm looking forward to his DVD. Hopefully it'll include his rivalry with the Macho Man. That one was nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Moogle wrote:
    I think WWE should hire him to teach the new guys about psychology e.g. Cena knows sweet fa about it.

I'm looking forward to his DVD. Hopefully it'll include his rivalry with the Macho Man. That one was nasty.

I hope that dvd has a heap load of his interviews. They were just sooo good.

According to Jake, his technique was to speak softly in parts so people would listen more carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Superfly Snukka!!

Fav tag team: Midnight Express

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Yeah, Angle is the Greatest in my opinion.
    Amazing wrestler, great intensity and ring presence, great on the mic and he can be really entertaining - remember when he sang "Jimmy Crack Corn, and I don't care" when he was running buddies with Austin & McMahon (Gog I miss those days :()

And then the rap on Smackdown with Cena, brilliant, probably the best "wrestler" but my personal favourite is Flair WOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Kurt Angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 WweHardyV2

Best ''wrestler'' definately Kurt Angle.Best entertainer Stone Cold although The Rock deserves a mention! Best resent entertainer Jericho!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Kurt Angle or Curt Hennig for me. Very close call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 markhyland1

macho man randy savage. ohhh yeahhhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I can't believe nobody mentioned Benoit at all! Not quite as much speed in the ring as Angle, but his stifness and intensity gives him the edge in my book. The way he growls while doing those chops, and the nasty looking German suplexes are fantastic; really believable.

For entertainers, I'd go with the Rock over Hogan or Austin. He had more charisma than anyone I have ever seen, with the possible exception of Muhammed (sp?) Ali. Plus, his selling was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

wrestler benoit or hart
    total package jericho reason underrated wrestler & great entertainer [either heel or face]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

THE SHOWSTOPPA

H.B.K :cool:

Advertisement