Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Popcorn and No Water

• 26-09-2005 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Heya all, This is kind of a rant/moan and i'm not sure i'm even in the right thread so mods feel free to move me.

I was in the Ormonde Cinema in Stillorgan the other night to watch the 40 year old Virgin. Anyway I paid my money for the ticket (€6) and went to buy popcorn and a drink. Seeing as I only had €10 because I wasn't planning to go to the cinema I bought a large popcorn (€4) and asked for a large water.
    They gave me the popcorn, charged me for it, and then told me that they didn't serve water anymore because "the management says we aren't to give out cups".
    About to point out that not serving water was illegal, they offered me a picnic size cup full of water - around a shot glass.

Disgusted I declined and vowed never to go to such a cheap and greedy (I mean ffs the cups cost max 5c and they quite possibly get them for free anyway from Pepsi), cinema ever again.

Am I right or should I get off my high horse? I was also surprised by their actions becaue if I was allergic to carbonated drinks then I think it would be a different story altogether.

Cheers, I'm just looking for opinions or if this has happened to anyone else.

Patzer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't think you should get off your high horse, because that's just not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

patzer117 wrote:
    About to point out that not serving water was illegal, they offered me a picnic size cup full of water - around a shot glass.
    Where is this in Irish law?
    I know it's been bantered about in relation to pubs and where alcohol is involved, more so probably as good practice, but I very much doubt cinemas are legally obliged to provide water (for free) to their patrons.
    Where was the water provided from the time you went? Do they have a tap there?
    Bottled water was probably for sale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

whiskeyman wrote:
    Where is this in Irish statute law?
    I know it's been bantered about in relation to pubs and where alcohol is involved, more so probably as good practice, but I very much doubt cinemas are legally obliged to provide water for free to their patrons.
    Where was the water provided from the time you went? Do they have a tap there?
    Bottled water was probably for sale...

As far as I know, restaurants are also, or anywhere that serves food, such as coffee shops or the such, and in that sense the snacks counter at a cinema should also fall under such law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Regardless whether it is law or not they could of obliged and I suppose they did as you say the staff offered it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

tbh, unless they're legally obliged, dont expect anything for free.
    Companies are striving to cut costs and corners any way they can. And they'll probably try and push to sell the bottled water instead.
    I guess I was unaware of people asking for glasses of free tap water in cinemas.
    Most snack booths I've come across just have the racks of sweets, pepsi/coke taps and popcorn units... I've never seen a drinking water tab before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement