Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router for Satellite Broadband?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a good router? I've just ordered satellite broadband and would be interested in any opinions on a broadband router with 8 ports and a decent firewall. I want to set up an internet connection and file sharing network.
    Anybody have any experience of these?
    Binka

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Well unless you've ordered some particular space on a geo-stationary satellite, you're not actually looking for a "satellite" router par-se, just simply an ethernet router.

Digiweb (or Eircon) will present to you a downconvertor and proxy box with an ethernet interface on it. This interface will be assigned a public IP address and you simply NAT and route from this.

As for options for this device you could get 1. a dedicated cable modem box with integrated firewall, nat, etc or you could get 2. a PC and load on Clarkconnect. The advantage with

1. Integrated device is that it's that
    2. More flexible (will support VPNs, etc)

Disadvantage

1. Limited availability in Ireland and functionalilty
    2. Need a PC and a hub (but an old PC will do).

Personally, I would take the PC route, but that's me.

I assume you know that beyond HTTP you should expect poor bandwidth performance. Other protocols such as FTP, POP3, etc all performe very poorly on such lines. Bet you the ISP didn't tell you that! :rolleyes: (I know this as I've been there)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Thanks for your reply Jayok. It's a plain old digiweb 1024 connection i'm getting and no, they didn't warn me about any difficulties with FTp or POP. Why doesn't that surprise me. But i really don't have any other option at present as the likelyhood of any other broadband being available in this part of Mayo in the forseeable future is zilch. It could be years.
    The digiweb package will leave me with a single port modem to which i will have to add an ethernet router/firewall. I have 8 pc's to connect and today i was recommended the Multitech RF560, so i am looking into that.
    So now you have given me another option to consider.
    Thanks again and i'll let you know how i get on.

Advertisement