Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoD2 Playable Demo: Verdict?

• 27-09-2005 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

graphics are great! Loved em, sucks there is no yellow burning effect on mg42 shots though(remember when you'd shoot at a wall?)

the sounds, they are ok,

I like the feel of the game's menus

I like that mouse sensitivity in options now has numbers beside it, but unfortunatelly, now way to type in(or adjust) the exact numbers

I like the new console

My complaints so far:

Bren looks and sounds very odd, didn't like it
    No way to change firerate of a machine gun
    No Sprint
    Can't just hold a nade, be it a smoke or a frag
    you can't have 2 guns and a pistol, one gun is replaced by a pistol, so 1 gun and 1 pistol
    When reloading a weapon, screen kinda shakes when you lock the clip, didn't like it
    nades aren't cookable
    you STAY and can shoot in ironsight, when you jump!!!

played it on the Veteran level, finished it in like 8 minutes, what AI? what flanking? enemy wasn't any different than in UO or CoD

I re-played a level on UO and then played CoD2, I'm sorry to say buy I enjoyed UO more :( smoother, there is no annoying red screen, better, response, feels better :(

I'm so dissapointed that I'm dissapointed

oh btw, just in case anyone is wondering how to use scroll wheel to change weapons, go to options, shoot, Switch Weapon, click on it, move scroll wheel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Dude,... CoD was like the bestest FPS ever. Well, it was up there. Even though the AI was scripted it was still good the first time through. So CoD2 ain't all that?... crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

It was a great demo,ran really smooth.They also made smgs more reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I haven't played it so I can't really comment so far but I'm just hoping you dislike the game because of problems that will be resolved before the launch! :(

I don't want to be disappointed like I was with UO!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

any screen shots of actual game play please!!

post them if you can !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

shot00015qs.th.jpg
    shot00024yz.th.jpg
    shot00036ks.th.jpg
    shot00066fi.th.jpg
    shot00081aw.th.jpg
    shot00128yf.th.jpg
    shot00097cp.th.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks good to me! Can't wait to give it a bash this evening! The crosshair looks a little too "arcady" for me though...

Thanks for these in-game screenshots Mr. "Breaking News" CyberGhost! :p

class !!

lol you're welcome Steff :D

bad news step our clan forum has COD2 = COD UO extended !

but I stand to be corrected !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I have to say I liked it, a lot of the small problems that CyberGhost mentioned I think (Hope) will be ironed out before release. The one major thing I didn't like was that they changed the ironsights on the Kar. Anyway thought it was enjoyable as demo's go

• Advertisement

couple of things I forgot to add.

Rifles sway now in ironsight
    MG42, doesn't overheat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Havent played any cod games in a while so i thought i'd give the demo a go. I'm not dissapointed but not really impressed either. Graphics were mediocre and gameplay hasnt changed much from earlier versions, all in all nothing that really makes want to go and buy the actual game. Anyway it'll be interesting to see what kind of reviews it receives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I saw the demo was up for download on xfire this morning.

The timing is intresting of it all. They release the Demo 1 day after DOD source came out. Are the COD crew trying to knock the STEAM out of DOD source. Is DOD any good any one played it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its pretty decent, but like I think EVERY SINGLE WWII game, the African campaign levels are the worst by far. Even the screenshots of the Normandy section of the game look better in terms of visuals and gameplay.

None the less, its decent, graphics not as good as I had imaged, but as a bonus, the game works pretty well on older systems from what I'm hearing, which is a nice relief to people unable to Pay Doom III and Battlefield 2 very well. I have a 128mb card, and could run this demo at the highest res my monitor supports with all options on, which I was pleasantly surprised with. I think to be honest I'd need a second demo from another theatre of war to sway me fully; as I said, the worst levels in most WWII games are always the African ones.

Still though, I liked it alot more then I didn't like it, should be great fun with a final version released....

Well, that's it... I played it... And I loved it! I really did! I'm actually surprised I feel positive right now! :eek:

I really feel it is an improvement on CoD and UO. It feels better I think. Sound and graphics were very good I thought (except the bombing on the sea front which I found a little sh*t to be honest...). My PC handled it pretty well even with everything boosted to the max (a few slow downs in frame rate when another soldier was on the MG or when a frag grenade went off but nothing major).

I found the weapons better (hate the fat looking cross hair though) and the rifle sights are much bigger now so it's easier to see what you're aiming at (I hate the Garand and Brent in CoD because of the tiny sights!).

Finished it 3 times in a row in Veteran mode thanks to my extensive skill I've managed to develop playing CoD and UO :p I think it's going to be pretty easy to switch to CoD 2 as everything feels the same. Moving and aiming is practically like in the previous editions of the game.

Pity I didn't find a sniper rifle lying around... Can't wait to have to start "holding my breath" by holding down the Shift key to aim accurately! :)

All in all, I'm a happy camper. And my expectations are so low that I'm actually pleasantly surprised! :D So far so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The demo looks great, gameplay is good, if a little linear (just in SP though).
    guns and physics are great, like the new aiming system.

The real test will be in the multiplayer gameplay tbh.
    Will it stand up to the great game that is CoD?
    I mean, will people be able to play the same level 3 times in a row up to 50 frags without getting bored at lans?
    We'll definetly get in a good few games of this at the next midlan.
    CoD is probably the favorite game of midlanners collectively, I just hope the sequel is as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

mean, will people be able to play the same level 3 times in a row up to 50 frags without getting bored at lans?

Good point, proof shall be in the pudding.

Even if the gameplay changes arent major ( i personnally would be happy with just a graphics upgrade!! ), i still think that it will be successful, and played by people at lans, espec. since its not too demanding on your rig. They probably had that in mind, seeing as how bf2 is a bo**ix of a yolk.

Downloaded it last night and hope to play t at the weekend as I'm away on business for the rest of the week!

Looking forward to it.

Off the point had a look at DOD last night ! I really think Valave have repackaged and charged us for COD 1 with the german front MOD................... hummmm was not overly impressed with it!!

a few nice addtions but VERY like CS with WW2 weapons

What ever happened between you and CS Drapper??? :confused: You're always criticising games that in your opinion look/feel like CS! :eek:

CS is a First Person Shooter. So are CoD, DoD, BF, SoF... You're obviously going to get similarities at some stage! And it's not necessarily a bad thing... :cool:

What ever happened between you and CS Drapper??? :confused: You're always criticising games that in your opinion look/feel like CS! :eek:

CS is a First Person Shooter. So are CoD, DoD, BF, SoF... You're obviously going to get similarities at some stage! And it's not necessarily a bad thing... :cool:

ME =CSS = Crap Player = Sitting Around waiting to Respawn = BORING

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    ME =CSS = Crap Player = Sitting Around waiting to Respawn = BORING
    Ok... Well, that explains it I guess! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

plus the fact that so many kids or really childish people play it.
    example: You kill 3 people in a round, and you have half the server saying"j00 ha><x" etc between sips of their mi-wadi.
    "d00ds, I gtg, My mam is callin me 4 dinner nd I gtg do my homework 4 school 2"

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hi guys, I though it wasn't bad at all...for me it is a "enhanced" COD:UO minus the sprint option :D

Let's see what the multiplayer will feel like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

With a few tweaks it ran ok on the 9700pro I just acquired. Always impressed when a game scales well. Thought it was fun. Much like MOHAA or COD. Though I still prefer games like OFP and H&D. Dunno whats not to like about the bren. Close in its awsome. Pity the Lee Enfield isn't more powerful. Not a lot of incentive to use it is there. I reckon like MOHAA and COD that it will have some classic levels, and some that you just blast though. Nothing new in terms of gameplay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i had a quick look at the demo. dont like the grenade thing. nothing really special.

dont like not having a health bar. when you get hurt all you have to do is run and hide and recover and you dont know exactly how much health you have.

dont like the fact that the ammo numbers only appear when you are shooting.

The only new AI thing i saw was that 2 enemy soilders jumped up from behind the sandbags at the same time and shot the place up then hid again.

Nothing special really. Dissappointed. Im wondering what the multiplayer will be like.

plyed and now waiting for MORTE MORE MORE !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

You should try playing it on the highest level, it's pretty easy. I think it's very like Cod, nothing really new stands out at all so I can't see myself playing the multi player at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I havent bothered with the demo at all. Im just gona hold out for the full game. After reading down through all the opinions on this thread I have no idea what to expect. No one seems to agree. I think the full game will be far better seeing as its not out for a while yet I dont think they demo will do the full game justice. Im just gona wait and but the new game on spec. It is cod after all it cant be bad and I dont need a demo to convince me of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

dont like not having a health bar. when you get hurt all you have to do is run and hide and recover and you dont know exactly how much health you have.

You can change this in the config file to suit your preferances.You'll find the config file in the "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 2 Demo\Main\players\default" folder.Open it with a text editor such as Word or even notepad will do.The lines i think your looking for are :
    seta cg_drawHealth "0"

Change the 0 health to 1 to turn on the health bar.

Personally i thought the demo was fantastic.I don't care if it hasn't changed much in terms of gameplay as the first was so good anyway.The only thing that dissapointed me a little was the graphics, which were lacking detail.Hopefully the full game will have higher resolution textures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

Played the demo a few days ago, it's great as demos go. Was able to run is perfectly on my system with 4xAA and 8xAF on, the graphics in the full version will be better than the demo obviously, there were missing and incomplete textures, and the graphics levels in options did not go into 'High' and 'Extra' like they will in the finial release. The level of action is higher again than in CoD1, combined with the improved graphics, it'll be a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

CyberGhost wrote:

I like that mouse sensitivity in options now has numbers beside it, but unfortunatelly, now way to type in(or adjust) the exact numbers
    `

yes there is, the console command /sensitivity is what you use, it was the same way in cod.

/bind m sensitivity 2.9 ----> thats what i use if i have rifle or mg in hand for more accuracy

/bind n sensitivity 5
    > for when using an smg, so i can spin around fast.

holy cow, where were you before?

oh man I had so much trouble adjusting that damn lever in CoD, I had to remember it's positions and use all kinds of "visual marks" to set it right after the re-install

what is the default sensitivity? 5.0?

btw, there isn't a way to assign mouse button 4 and mouse button 5 to commands is there?

Thanks a lot Fionn! :)

CyberGhost wrote:
    holy cow, where were you before?

oh man I had so much trouble adjusting that damn lever in CoD, I had to remember it's positions and use all kinds of "visual marks" to set it right after the re-install

That's hilarious CyberGhost! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I have to say i think the weapon sounds/models are way better in DOD:s. The source mg42 puts cod2's to shame

• Advertisement

Deadwing wrote:
    I have to say i think the weapon sounds/models are way better in DOD:s. The source mg42 puts cod2's to shame

Is DoD that good? Could anybody who has both please compare the two (full versions - not the CoD2 Demo)?

You cant really compare them tbh, as dod is MP only, and only has 4 maps, and cod is a singleplayer experience with plenty of levels really. like comparing bf1942 with cod 1 really, chalk and cheese. But the weapon models are far better in dod, easily.

Well, I downloaded the playable demo of BF2 to see what it looked like. Verdict: sh*t. (Don't get updet if you like it. This is my opinion). I wasn't surprised really considering it's an EA game...

I'll stick to my CoD thank you very much :D

post should be locked this is a COD thread not Bf2 !!!

I'm reporting you to a moderator !!!

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Well, I downloaded the playable demo of BF2 to see what it looked like. Verdict: sh*t. (Don't get updet if you like it. This is my opinion). I wasn't surprised really considering it's an EA game...

? :confused:

• Advertisement

What were you playing it on, a P3??

Deadwing wrote:
    What were you playing it on, a P3??

I didn't like the game itself. Nothing wrong with the graphics or frame rate... I found it extremelly hard to just start playing (having never played a "BF" game). I had to apply to become a squad leader or something then choose my spawn point but I didn't know how to do that (and I still don't)... Anyway I did manage to play a bit somehow.

It was a CTF type game in Syria or something (I'm sure most of you have played the demo). I really didn't get into it. It took 58 bullets (slight exageration obviously) to kill one single soldier and everybody was talking, looking for lifts or a mechanic or something... I didn't really understand what I had to do so I was just going up to the flags all by myself which turned out to be quite a bad idea...

I think my main problem here is that I don't like managing other soldiers or playing as a team with AI. I don't like it when it becomes tactical within the game itself (tactics should be on TeamSpeak only IMO - You shouldn't have to follow orders or request ammo or a medic...). I don't want to worry about other soldiers...

I know the above is negative but again, it is my opinion and I'm not trying to force anybody to think like me here. If you love BF2, I think that's great! You have 2 games to play when you get home! ;) I only have the one...

Drapper wrote:
    post should be locked this is a COD thread not Bf2 !!!

I'm reporting you to a moderator !!!

;-)
    lol Drapper :D

You bored in work again mate or what? :p

Stick with it man..seriously. one of the best online experiences going. Its not really CTF in the real meaning of like Q3 ctf, youre just capturing control points. Get yourself into a black hawk gunners seat with a good pilot, ripping people apart with the gatling and tearing around capping flags, cant be beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Right , played it twice since yesterday , and yeah , once again it was the same old COD , but prettier . I like this game , quick action and good fun and without a doubt the best graphics within a WW2 game .

if I had one negative it would be the strain it put on my pc , p4 2.2 ati 9800 pro and she struggled with this one , nearly more so than BF2 , so that was dissapointing .

jonski wrote:
    Right , played it twice since yesterday , and yeah , once again it was the same old COD , but prettier . I like this game , quick action and good fun and without a doubt the best graphics within a WW2 game .

if I had one negative it would be the strain it put on my pc , p4 2.2 ati 9800 pro and she struggled with this one , nearly more so than BF2 , so that was dissapointing .
    Your PC struggled with it??? :confused: Mine didn't and it's not as good as yours! Well I have a P4 with 2.4GHz rather than 2.2GHz, but my graphics card is only a 9500 PRO... How much memory do you have?

This is weird... I read everywhere Call of Duty 2 wasn't as demanding as BF2...

Deadwing wrote:
    Stick with it man..seriously. one of the best online experiences going. Its not really CTF in the real meaning of like Q3 ctf, youre just capturing control points. Get yourself into a black hawk gunners seat with a good pilot, ripping people apart with the gatling and tearing around capping flags, cant be beaten.
    Well, I'll patiently await the release of CoD2 and if I'm not happy with that, or get bored with it, I'll give BF2 a proper try!
    But in all honesty I don't see that happening :p

Advertisement