Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availability map/directory?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm not a member of IOffl (reckon if my region is anything to go by there's no need) so you might not take this seriously.

But I think what would be a good idea is if IOFFL compiled, or attempted to compile, a map of broadband exchanges of all types in Ireland as well as areas served by each service point.

I don't mean just Eircom ADSL switchpoints but also ALL Cable services, and ALL currently live wireless base stations AND who operates them - probably a lot of ppl live near live exhanges or services of some kind and dont know it. This map, perhaps to be accompanied by figures relating to failed phone lines, PABX usage, would make some interesting reading and would be most helpful to a lot of people.

That's just my view anyway.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is more or less up to date , maybe 20 missing . The circles are probably a bit large too, they should be smaller.

dsl_coverage_map_medium.jpg

Link to original

http://www.comwreck.com/images/blog_images2/dsl_coverage_map_medium.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I love that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

SeanW wrote:
    I don't mean just Eircom ADSL switchpoints but also ALL Cable services, and ALL currently live wireless base stations AND who operates them - probably a lot of ppl live near live exhanges or services of some kind and dont know it. This map, perhaps to be accompanied by figures relating to failed phone lines, PABX usage, would make some interesting reading and would be most helpful to a lot of people.

That's just my view anyway.

Good view, and I'm sure we'd all like to have something like that. However, a lot of that info isn't available (failure rates are considered Commercially Sensitive data.. don't ask me why! .. national FWA sites aren't published.. not sure what PABX usage you want to report on, but getting that info seems next to impossible). It's on the cards, but it takes time, and that's only for the info we can get!

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Blaster99 wrote:
    I love that map.
    There's a bigger (370kb) version of it here
    P.

Advertisement