Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Graphics Card

Options
  • 27-09-2005 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm sorting myself out with some form of gaming lan at home, I've 8 P3 800Mhz sff pc's that need to be equipped with graphics cards but as they don't have any AGP ports I'm stuck using PCI.

I've tested a few games with an fx5200 PCI card which worked very well but when I look to try and buy these online they're very expensive.

Is there a cheaper ATI PCI card that's any use? Is the bottleneck the PC anyway so I wouldn't really be getting the most from an fx5200?
    Anyone know where I'd get FX5200's any cheaper?

Games to be played:
    Trackmania Sunrise
    Medal of honour (first one)
    Quake 3 Arena
    Unreal Tournament 2003 (maybe bit sluggish with 5200)
    Red Alert 2 (3d intensive I know)

Anything else people can suggest that's good for multiplayer

Any Advice at all? :eek:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

pm me i have a fx5200 pci card going for 60euro if your interested not in box but brand new..just upgraded to new pc 2 weeks after buying card...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think there's a pci Radeon 7000, should cost about 20 euro second hand or maybe new, 64mb, runs all those games at more or less top res with details on.

The fx5200 would not be worth it on a 800mhz pc....unless you somehow got them for dirt cheap :D

ACtually, theres someone on the FS forum selling an fx5200 for 25 euro...

Post a thread on the FS wanted thread looking for decent pci cards....should get some responses

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

I think there's a pci Radeon 7000, should cost about 20 euro second hand or maybe new, 64mb, runs all those games at more or less top res with details on.

The fx5200 would not be worth it on a 800mhz pc....unless you somehow got them for dirt cheap :D

ACtually, theres someone on the FS forum selling an fx5200 for 25 euro...

Post a thread on the FS wanted thread looking for decent pci cards....should get some responses

Thanks for that are there any other good games that would run on these PC's that anyone can think of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 comphreak

What about Counterstrike??? ya can play the older versions like Condition Zero....

Yeah I thought about that and probably will go ahead with it, but after playing CS:Source it might be a bit fugly :oP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Games:

Counter Strike
    Battlefield 1942
    Soldier of Fortune II
    Global Operations
    Unreal Tournament
    Quake III
    Delta Force 1/2/3/etc
    Medal of Honor
    Mobile Forces
    Operation Flashpoint
    Serious Sam
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Command and Conquer Renegade
    Kingpin
    Day of Defeat 1.0
    Project IGI

Those are the FPS I can think of that will run perfectly on an 800mhz machine with a decent card.

btw - UT 2k3 will run like a dog on 800mhz....

Games:

Counter Strike
    Battlefield 1942
    Soldier of Fortune II
    Global Operations
    Unreal Tournament
    Quake III
    Delta Force 1/2/3/etc
    Medal of Honor
    Mobile Forces
    Operation Flashpoint
    Serious Sam
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Command and Conquer Renegade
    Kingpin
    Day of Defeat 1.0
    Project IGI

Those are the FPS I can think of that will run perfectly on an 800mhz machine with a decent card.

btw - UT 2k3 will run like a dog on 800mhz....

Mate yer a legend and your findings for UT 2k3 are spot on, isn't totally dog but it's pretty much unplayable if yer anyway competitive ;)

Advertisement