Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Benfica. Pre match.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Just back from the game, just thought I'd say United were terrible in midfield. It is unbeliveable that SAF thinks that Smith is the next Roy Keane. His passing ability doesn't even come close to Keane's, his vision comes just as close. Fletcher is a waste of space, I think its time Miller got the chance to come in instead of him. Fletcher is good at one thing and one thing only... Giving the ball away. Scholes is not the player he once was, he seems to think he can have all the time in the world on the ball at the moment and loses possession too easily.

Ronaldo was quite poor I thought, I'm not going to be too hard on him considering he lost his dad a couple of weeks ago. But if he keeps performing like that he will be replaced sooner rather than later. Giggs done ok in the opening half, and then went hiding throughout the second half when United really needed him. Ruud was ok, but he was the best United player apart from Richardson and Bardsley. He got himself into good positions and nearly scored a screamer in the first half. His only downfall is his control and passing some of the time.

Richardson was my man of the match, he had a great game getting forward at every opportunity and then getting back and defending bravely. He linked up well with Giggs on several occasions, he put one sublime ball through to Giggs in the first half that nearly set up a goal but Giggs put it wide. He wasn't afraid to take on the Benfica players and cross the ball in and he done it well. Fair play to him. Bardsley had a very good game for his first real game in the Champions League, he defended very well and got up to support Ronaldo and he put in several dangerous balls that Benfica had to defend well for or they would have been certain goals. He hit a few bad passes and crosses but it looked like a few nerves to me, once he settles down I reckon he could make a real name for himself.

Van Der Sar was reliable as ever. There was nothing he could do to stop the goal, very good free kick.

I have to say the United fans were brilliant on the night, they spurred on the team after the equaliser. Great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The main problem I feel with the Smith in for Keane thing is that Smith is a replacement for the 34 year old Roy Keane we have today. The one that just sits in front of the back four, breaks up play and plays the simple ball.

The team will not go forward unless Keane is replaced by a player of similar hunger and ability to the 24 year old Roy Keane. Smith does not have anywhere near the energy or ability of this man (despite their similar age).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

He may not have that ability but he was def more improved against Benfica - he supported the front man far more-at the moment I would have him ahead of Fletcher. Remember he is stilllearing the role - there is vast improvement on his last performance vs the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

The main problem I feel with the Smith in for Keane thing is that Smith is a replacement for the 34 year old Roy Keane we have today. The one that just sits in front of the back four, breaks up play and plays the simple ball.

The team will not go forward unless Keane is replaced by a player of similar hunger and ability to the 24 year old Roy Keane. Smith does not have anywhere near the energy or ability of this man (despite their similar age).

i agree with this, but what i am worried about is that there is nobody on the planet who can fill keanes role,young or old. You will get players that have the ability of Keane, passing, tackling etc..but you ill never match his hunger or drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TheMonster wrote:
    He may not have that ability but he was def more improved against Benfica - he supported the front man far more-at the moment I would have him ahead of Fletcher. Remember he is stilllearing the role - there is vast improvement on his last performance vs the first game.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Smith here. He's done ok.

I'm just saying that Ferguson should not be trying to replicate the 34 year old Keane, he should be attempting to get someone in similar to the 24 year old Keane. Smith in midfield may at some point be able to immitate the Keane of now, but he will never ever be able to immitate Keane in his prime (which United had when they were winning things regularly).

I have to say i'd prefer to see him up front as back up for RVN, i thought he done well when he started his ManU career

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Problem is though, Smith on Tuesday's performance couldn't even play the simple ball you speak of. He gave the ball away far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Smith isn't good enough for United full stop.
    Couldn't make it as a striker as he is behind oh lets say at least 4 of them, RVN Rooney Saha and Ole, and prob Rossi.
    Only in midfield cause he is tough, and thus kinda looks like Keane.
    I think we need two young and hungry players. And then an experienced head to make the midfield strong again.

In January I'm hopeful the Man Utd midfield will look something like this

Fletcher - Ballack - Mikel
    With
    Keano playing whenever he can taking Mikel's place
    Scholes coming off the bench to take Ballacks place in a bad day.
    Although I doubt we'll get Ballack in January, but if he get him on a pre-contract Bayern might want to get some money for him.

Ballack is quality and would be a great signing, havent seen to much of that little git obi-mikael to be honest, whats he like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've only seen bits of him but he has looked impressive, especially in the world youth championships

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

This is from todays guardian:

United confident dossier will persuade Fifa to make Chelsea back off Mikel

Daniel Taylor
    Friday September 30, 2005
    The Guardian
    Manchester United's solicitors will today submit a comprehensive 40-page document to Fifa outlining their grievances against Chelsea in the protracted dispute over the signing of John Obi Mikel, the Nigerian teenager regarded by Sir Alex Ferguson as one of the most naturally gifted footballers he has seen.
    After three months of gathering evidence against the Premiership champions, United's lawyers will detail why they believe they have a watertight agreement with Mikel and the chain of events that, in the words of their assistant manager Carlos Queiroz, led to the 18-year-old being "almost kidnapped" and Chelsea taking "football into the jungle".

United declined to comment yesterday but the document is understood to include submissions from Ferguson, United's chief executive David Gill and the youth academy director Jim Ryan as well as a copy of the pre-contract agreement signed by Mikel in April when he agreed to join United from his Norwegian club Lyn Oslo. Chelsea had been convinced he had made a verbal agreement to sign a four-year contract at Stamford Bridge and, to the intense irritation of Ferguson, they have retained their interest in the player.
    United's legal team at James Chapman & Co solicitors in Manchester, fronted by the club director Maurice Watkins, has also spoken at length to the Lyn Oslo directors and the agent who originally represented Mikel, Daniel Fletcher. He is taking his own case to Fifa after Mikel suddenly dropped him and became involved with a Nigerian agent, John ****tu, who is understood to work alongside the London-based dealmaker Jerome Anderson.
    It is United's belief that ****tu and Anderson are working on Chelsea's behalf and that Mikel would otherwise have no reservations about moving to Old Trafford. Ferguson and Ryan travelled to Oslo a fortnight ago to see the teenager and received assurances that he wanted to fulfil his contract. However, in April Mikel reportedly received death threats from unknown sources after turning down Chelsea and, according to Fletcher, is "being intimidated and coerced into acting against his wishes".
    A letter Fletcher sent to the Premier League and the Football Association in May called for an official inquiry similar to that which saw Chelsea receive record punishments for their clandestine talks with Arsenal's Ashley Cole. Fletcher was the first man to recognise Mikel's ability, believing him to have "as much talent as Wayne Rooney and Freddy Adu", and wrote of his belief that Mikel "still wants to play for Manchester United".
    United want Fifa to ratify that Mikel is their player and, at the very least, instruct Chelsea to back off. They hope to persuade Mikel to sever his ties with ****tu, who is facing a possible smuggling charge. A routine check at Oslo's Gardermoen airport on Tuesday found that he had the equivalent of £22,109 in his possession - 10 times the amount allowed to be taken into Norway without being declared.
    "He had £19,000 in an envelope as well as euros, Danish kroner and other currency," said Paul Ask, a customs official. "He has been reported to the police for smuggling, as a matter of routine."
    ****tu paid an on-the-spot fine of £915 and his £8,000 watch was confiscated because it exceeded the £550 limit for duty-free imports. However, if he can get Mikel to Stamford Bridge he will be rich enough not to care.

Advertisement