Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

manhole cover - in garden

• 27-09-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

We have a manhole cover in our back garden made from concrete.
    It is rectangular with angled corners (like a long octagon).

Anyway I suspect this is the manhole to the sewage/water waste.
    I lifted it up (is very heavy) a couple of times and there is a hefty drop down.

My problem is that its fairly worn away and cracked and am worried someone it is going to eventually end up down the hole.

Any idea how I should or who should replace this ? I suspect that its going to be me thats responsible for the upkeep of waterworks/sewage type pipes/covers on my own land ?

Any ideas ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

there's a lot of small companies make concrete products they might make a replacement if you bring it to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

If its a manhole cover i suspect its up to your local council to up keep it as its not strictly yours.
    I'd get onto the drainage division and find out because if somebody fell down it i doubt you'd be liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How about lowering it altogether and covering with topsoil and then grass to remove it from sight. I'd hate to have one of them in my garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

FX Meister wrote:
    How about lowering it altogether and covering with topsoil and then grass to remove it from sight. I'd hate to have one of them in my garden.
    i don't think he should do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If it's never used then why not? Keep track of where it is and if there's any problem you can always dig it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I believe it is the council’s responsibility to maintain it, give them a call. It may take a few weeks for them to get to it though. We had an issue at my parent’s house, but it was covered over and no one knew it was there until it collapsed last winter when they were extending the house when the builder was digging the foundations. Council rebuilt the manhole but parents had to modify the plans shortening the extension by 3ft as it was in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cybo

I think you should first find out exactly why it is there. Is it covering your sceptic tank? Is it covering something that belongs to the Town Council? Visit them and find out. Ask the previous owners of your house if it is covering your sceptic tank. By the way, if this is your sceptic tank, it should be emptied every ten years or so. When the house was bought, the structural surveyor would have noted it down and probably also its use.

If you find it does belong to the town, then ask them to replace it fast. As soon as that is done, cover the stone with some huge pots, or else grow some large shrubs around the manhole which will quickly hide it completely and prevent anyone from falling in.

Our sceptic tank is completely covered with a gigantic ceanothus, which kindly puts on a stunning show of blue flowers every year. We have left a tiny entry to the manhole itself for maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Break it some more, take a few photos & write to them enclosing photos & say you are sending a copy to the relevent safety authority. I rekon that would speed up the process. As regards covering it up I think they would object to that. I small shape made out of some decking might cover it up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Thanks for ideas.

Its the manhole to the mains sewage. The survey pointed this out when we bought the house - and is fairly common to have these outlets in an end house of a terrace apparently.

I will contact council and see how I get on with them. (I firmly expect them to shrug their shoulders and look confused tbh. They lost the plans for the house when they moved buildings so not sure if they will have any record of this manhole/outlet!) But will give them a go.

Asking previous owners is not an option. They were right arseholes (they wouldn't even give us the code for the burglar alarm out of sheer spite. All because we wouldn't offer anymore money for the house !)

I dont mind the idea of covering it over but prob not an option (assuming council would let us do this) it would be a huge amount of work as the path around the house and up the garden has this manhole built in. (we would have to secure before sinking in any case).

I'd be happy enough to just get a new cover for it - as a few more winters etc and I'm sure it will be fairly unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micandre

is there any guidelines that the council produces to highlight who is responsible?

From what I understand is that council's approve private houses to be built with the sewer manhole covers located off the road. This allows the council to deny responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance as they are on private land?

If I am responsible what sort of manhole covers are suitable and are there regulations surrounding the safety of the cover. The one located in my garden has a bit of spring in it and I've 2 small children.

Many thanks for any feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

there has to be manholes,some on private land for repairs, to unblock pipes etc you can ask the council for a new cover ,if the old one is cracked or dangerous .

Advertisement