Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crash and Insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

whippet wrote:
    once the insurance company payout on a write off they own the car, just like if you claimed for a stolen piece of jewlery and it was recovered .. the insurance company now own the jewlery.

That's not a fair comparison because the jewellery would be worth as much when it's recovered as when it was stolen. But on the other hand if the jewllery was damaged and would cost more to repair than it was worth. They wouldn't bother, would they? And if it cost a good few hundred quid to get the jewellery taken away then they'd probably be happy if somebody just took it off their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

whippet wrote:
    once the insurance company payout on a write off they own the car, just like if you claimed for a stolen piece of jewlery and it was recovered .. the insurance company now own the jewlery.
    A common option that insurance companies give is self-scrappage. That is, the insurance company will give you, say, €3500 to take the car off your hands, or they give you €3000, and you find a garage that will scrap it and give you €500.

A well-known scam is to find a friendly garage that tells the insurance company they'll scrap it, then they fix the car and take half the compensation - so the claimant comes out of it with their car intact and cash in their pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

seamus wrote:
    A common option that insurance companies give is self-scrappage. That is, the insurance company will give you, say, €3500 to take the car off your hands, or they give you €3000, and you find a garage that will scrap it and give you €500.

A well-known scam is to find a friendly garage that tells the insurance company they'll scrap it, then they fix the car and take half the compensation - so the claimant comes out of it with their car intact and cash in their pocket.

Now thats fraud!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

There's no fraud going on here, he's insured, full stop.

Jip wrote:
    There's no fraud going on here, he's insured, full stop.

Read the thread....the whole point is to find out if he is insured if on first provisional with no FLD with him! !

• Advertisement

And read my post, he IS insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

_raptor_ wrote:
    he's not disclosing full details (that he was breaking the law by not having a FLD with him) that counts as fraud as you can bet your bottom dollar that that info would change the outcome of the claim drastically

that would only be the case if he was at fault...he wasn't at fault , so it doesn't matter what licence he had....

by your logic , I could get drunk , steal a car and then crash into a L drive (with no FLD with them) and it would be their fault ?

jhegarty wrote:
    that would only be the case if he was at fault...he wasn't at fault , so it doesn't matter what licence he had....

by your logic , I could get drunk , steal a car and then crash into a L drive (with no FLD with them) and it would be their fault ?

your losing the point....she is a FLD....he isnt....its her fault but because he is on a first provisional license will his insurance cover him.....if not then because he has no insurance then it is his fault and he will get nothing and have to pay for her car.......in other words will the insurance company cover a driver who shouldnt be on the road without a FLD with him......this has already been mentioned on the thread!! read back before posting please!!

Using your terms....if I am a FLD and I go out locked and smash into someone, even if not my fault......it will be my fault because I am locked no matter how the crash occured!

Jip wrote:
    And read my post, he IS insured.

Explain then???

Big Nelly, do you having trouble seeing something that you don't want to see, the L Driver is insured.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote:
    Big Nelly, do you having trouble seeing something that you don't want to see, the L Driver is insured.

I not sure what you mean? I asked a question because I wasnt sure....every thread so far hasnt really convinced me that L drivers on there first provisional license is insured without a FLD....>I have asked you to back up your claim that they are......you havent backed this up....if you are so sure please explain how you know this....simply question!!! remember its my mate and I want to make sure he is if he trys to push for more money and hten gets oh you are not insured!!

Remember it is the law that a first provisional driver is supposed to have a FLD with them at all times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

His insurance might not cover him if he does not meet the conditions of his license which state that he must have a fully licensed driver with him. You can tell an insurance company whatever you like. I could say I've been driving for 25 years with a full license and they'll insure me but when I make a claim, they will check to see if what I said is true. In this case, he was not at fault but the other drivers insurance company could make the case that he should not have been on the road in the 1st place although I doubt they would be successful.

Big Nelly wrote:
    your losing the point....she is a FLD....he isnt....its her fault but because he is on a first provisional license will his insurance cover him.....if not then because he has no insurance then it is his fault and he will get nothing and have to pay for her car.......in other words will the insurance company cover a driver who shouldnt be on the road without a FLD with him......this has already been mentioned on the thread!! read back before posting please!!
    Yes, his insurance company will cover him, because the law says they must.
    Using your terms....if I am a FLD and I go out locked and smash into someone, even if not my fault......it will be my fault because I am locked no matter how the crash occured!
    Not true. You may be charged with driving under the influence, but it doesn't follow that you automatically assume blame.
    Just the same, an uninsured driver in a crash doesn't automatically assume blame.

Nelly, you never asked me to back anything up, just asked me to reread the thread. Anyway, I refer all future questions to Seamus, he has more patience than me.

Jip wrote:
    Nelly, you never asked me to back anything up, just asked me to reread the thread. Anyway, I refer all future questions to Seamus, he has more patience than me.

Sorry but just going "There's no fraud going on here, he's insured, full stop" with no explanation or any reasoning behind this statement got me confused....the original thread mentioned nothing about fraud......that why i asked to re-read the thread...

Then we get the next post "And read my post, he IS insured" again no explanation or any information on how you came to this conclusion.....so I ask "Explain then???" which you reply to: "Big Nelly, do you having trouble seeing something that you don't want to see, the L Driver is insured"...now sorry if I was missing at school that day but explain then in my language is asking for some sort of explanation as to how you have come to this conclusion.....but all you reply is "Nelly, you never asked me to back anything up, just asked me to reread the thread. Anyway, I refer all future questions to Seamus, he has more patience than me."

So do you have an explantion or just trolling through every thread and just adding in posts without any information/backup or explanation? if so can you stay away from any of my threads!! thanks

Thanks Seamus for the info!! just wanted to be sure the law would cover him for this!! will see what they get back to him today on!! hopefully will come to a good conculsion for all....will post updates in case this happens to anyone else

Also quick tip for everyone, and one I have told my mate......do your bloody test! lol!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I rang an insurance company once about this. You are insured if driving on the M50 on a provisional licence with no qualified passenger beside you.

You might get 2 points or whatever but you are still insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

I was always aware that the insurance company has to honour the 3rd party side of the insurance, no matter what grey areas you might be in. For example, driving with no FLD on a 1st provisional like in this thread scenario, and also in the example of driving on a motorway on a provisional.

However, what would the result be if that young lads car was a turbo and the turbo wasnt declared. Would he automatically assume blame even though it was the womans fault? Or how would non declaring of a turbo effect the outcome in the original posters scenario?
    Just out of interest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

However, what would the result be if that young lads car was a turbo and the turbo wasnt declared. Would he automatically assume blame even though it was the womans fault? Or how would non declaring of a turbo effect the outcome in the original posters scenario?
    Just out of interest :)
    AFAIK, the general principle in such cases is that they will pay out any claims to 3rd parties, but won't pay out any claim by the chancer who lied on his insurance form. They may also pursue the chancer legally for any costs incurred. Same applies to all the mummy's boys who are insured as named drivers on the car mummy has never driven, or the farm boys insured at their farm address while working/living in the big city.

RainyDay wrote:
    or the farm boys insured at their farm address while working/living in the big city.

Ok this is getting old.......with my insurance company(actual proper one not Quinn) it doesnt matter if I live in country or city, this has been phased out by them and most other proper companies....this just sound like sour grapes......get a proper insurance compnay and you will find this out!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok this is getting old.......with my insurance company(actual proper one not Quinn) it doesnt matter if I live in country or city, this has been phased out by them and most other proper companies....this just sound like sour grapes......get a proper insurance compnay and you will find this out!!!!

I guess you consider Hibernian to be 'not a proper insurance company' so. I just did a quick quote on their website for a 40 year old male accountant with 5 years NCB driving a 2001 Ford 1600cc value €15,000. When I select Dublin 16 area of use, cost for open driving is €790. When I select Mayo as area of use, cost for open driving is €652 - so it's a 21% increase for the Dublin address.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote:
    I guess you consider Hibernian to be 'not a proper insurance company' so. I just did a quick quote on their website for a 40 year old male accountant with 5 years NCB driving a 2001 Ford 1600cc value €15,000. When I select Dublin 16 area of use, cost for open driving is €790. When I select Mayo as area of use, cost for open driving is €652 - so it's a 21% increase for the Dublin address.

Go to FBD then!!! only proper insurance company around from all of them.....best policy and decent people to deal with....got new car and they where 100 euro more expensive than Quinn(was assured it would drop alot after first year of havign car) but went with FBD for peace of mind!!

All of the insurance companies load you for driving in Dublin, without exception.

seamus wrote:
    All of the insurance companies load you for driving in Dublin, without exception.

Again FBD dont

Big Nelly wrote:
    Again FBD dont
    Actually, you're right. They don't load you for living in Dublin, they load you for not living in Dublin :D

Did the quick quote thing on their site and was quoted more for Mayo and Donegal than for Dublin (I didn't check every county obviously).

seamus wrote:
    Actually, you're right. They don't load you for living in Dublin, they load you for not living in Dublin :D

Did the quick quote thing on their site and was quoted more for Mayo and Donegal than for Dublin (I didn't check every county obviously).

Well I signed my personal policy with them on new car in Feb.....asked the one I was talking to about if it mattered if I put down Dublin or Cavan.....she said it doesnt because they had changed there policies so it doesnt matter which county you are in.....I got same rate for Dublin as the rate I was original quoted when I said Cavan....oh yeah before I get all the crap....car was bought in Cavan and because they still had my address as cavan from other polices they just took it I was still living in Cavan!!

seamus wrote:

Mayo and Donegal? prob have to put on extra because they are all throwing turf at each other and sheep all over the place.....also in Donegal they are prob insuring the car as a 1 litre and they have a 3ltr car!! :D

Advertisement