Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Winter - Pre-training in Wicklow - Anyone interested?

• 27-09-2005 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering a break to Scotland for a week in late January or early February next year. The biggest obstacle would be my level of fitness and I can't really improve on it without doing some cardio training (which I can do in the Gym) combined with some endurance walking in the hills.

Most of my friends are couch jockeys and lan-party addicts and wouldn't consider exposing themselves to a soaking on the way back from the off-license, let alone a weekend on the hills in Wicklow. So I'm putting a shout out on boards to see if anyone else is interested in doing some longer distance hill-walking over the coming months?

I'm living in Dundrum, South Dublin and would ideally be looking for people based locally so we can get out on the hills early enough to have a full day or two down around rural Wicklow over the weekends.

Not to worry if you're living further afield though - I have transport so if you're living outside the pale I can pick you up at Heuston/Connolly/Bus Áras etc. on a Friday night for example and offer a floor to sleep on in my house.

My idea would be to do a couple of stages of the Wicklow Way as a starter - It's fairly easy going and doesn't involve a great deal of navigational skills but you'd need good kit as some parts are boggy and others very exposed.

Anyone interested? Could work as a good catalyst for regular 'Outdoor Pursuits' weekend activities Phil? Also, if anyone's interested in the Scotland thing give me a shout too or else I'll be going on my own!

Gil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Sounds like a good plan.
    I'm around every couple of weekends... had planned doin a few long hikes as the weather gets worse. Any particular routes/areas in mind??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Good stuff - I like to hear of others who enjoy getting out when the weathers getting messy! :D I reckon the easiest one day trip to get started with would be Marley down to Knockree and back via Enniskerry on the bus - It's easy from a logistical point of view. This could be stretched out to two days with a stay in Knockree hostel and then down to Roundwood and jump St. Kevin's Bus back to the city centre. I can sort out lifts too if required from wherever we'd end up.

If you're thinking of something a little further afield then out around Mullaghcleevaun east & west and back over to Sally Gap via Duff Hill, Gravale, Tonduff and War Hill is a good long offroad route - Can get VERY mucky up around there but it's rewarding I guess. You'll often see a herd of wild deer up around there too.

Let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions too on routes if anyone knows of anything worth trying.

Gil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm off to Tralee this weekend and I'm bouldering most dry weekends but I'll keep an eye on the weather and let you know if I can make it (no promises).

I've been told that this is going to be a very cold winter :D, anyone else hear these rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Rough weather always sounds good.... keeps the wendies off the mountains ;-)

Hopefully a bad winter... definitely temperature dropping the last few weeks, I've been running up around 3 rock the last few Sundays and you notice it.

Did Lugnaquilla last year when it snowed...started at 10 at night...mountain gear sleeping bag + gortex cover , slept out on top and up and off the mountain for 9 am

Ha ha - Wendies. Amusing moniker for the wellie brigade. I'm off down to Carrauntoohil the weekend after next and hopefully the weather won't be *that* bad....The ladder is a nucking fightmare when it's piddling down.

Let us know what the craic is Phil - Drop me a PM with your number and I'll give ye a heads-up if I'm heading out anytime soon. Same to you McGuiver - Bring your penknife mate.

Gil

• Advertisement

I would be up for some winter climbing in Kerry if we should get the weather. I'll be there this weekend anyway, I'm the non-descript guy of average height and build :D

Never been climbing. I know, I know. Not into the whole club thing though and as I said before, my friends aren't the type.

Gil

Yeah, clubs can be very political.

Who are you doing the course with?

Advertisement