Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless setup help needed

• 27-09-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I have received my Eircom Wireless kit.

I have a static IP address (?)

I got all the cables and the "Netopia" Wirelss modem thing.

Now i can;t get home to set it up and my girlfriend wants to do it for me.

Can you guys give me instructions to give her on how to set it up.

The phone socket is behind our TV, and the PC is in the living room.

Simple instructions would be great as to be honest, i don't even really know how to do it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Erm.... from memory the only way to connect via wireless is to connect via a LAN cable first and edit the wireless configuration as the new Netopia wireless has WAP enabled by default and you wont know the key.

1. Plug the DSL noise filter into your phone socket looks something like this:
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009JGJCA.01-A38M5MWFO1KP4F._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    2. Plug your phone into one side and the purple cable that came with the router into the other.
    3. Plug the other end of the purple cable into the DSL port on the Netopia Box.
    4. Plug one of the yellow LAN cables into port 1 the netopia router and plug the other end into your PC's lan card.
    5. Ensure your PC's lan card is setup for DHCP.
    6. Swith on the Netopia and wait a min or so for your pc to get an ipaddress.
    7. on your PC select RUN from your start menu and type: CMD and press return
    8. in the command box type: IPCONFIG and press return
    9. take note of your default gateway it should be 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.1.254
    10. open a browser and http to that location.
    11. You can now configure the netopia settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Or you could just run the disk you get with the pack, which has animated instructions on what to do and sets up the wireless encryption automatically :)

in all fairness who reads the manual ... ever.. ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Ok. so are you saying that even though it's wireless. there will still be a cable running from my PC's Lan card into the "Wireless" modem? Or will i be able to have them in seperate rooms?

well the way i explained it you can remove the wire to your pc after you have configured the wireless settings. im not sure about the setup with the CD that azezil suggusted

• Advertisement

shouldn't i have a little wireless receiver thing that i can put on top of my PC? so it can communicate between the PC and the Wireless modem? (External)

well you can have an internal one aswell.. did you buy one? eircom dont supply them i think

i dunno! surely they wouldn't offer you wireless internet without giving you the full kit?

well i did not get any wireless cards with mine.. but i had my own..

ok. do you know that if i don't have this, will i be able to connect anyway with a hard line?

or is the modem only for wireless?

• Advertisement

the modem has 4 lan ports on the back .. youll have no problems networking up to 4 pc's using normal lan cables and shareing the internet connection

the cables you get would never be long enough for me to be able to stretch them from one room, through the hall and into another oom then would they? unless it's completely wireless then i'm screwed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

No eircom dont supply(last time i checked at least) the network adapter thing but they do sell them on the online shop thing i think but you can go to any computer store and get the same. Its not too much and its really the best solution if the wires wont stretch. You could buy a really big cable and run it through the hall but its messy and since you're all set up for wireless anyway you might as well take advantage.
    So once you have it wired up as described above and in the manual you just put in the cd and that should get you through the rest. Once thats done you can plug out the wire from the computer and just put it on a table or whatever near the phone outlet.
    It wont take long to do id say, good luck

ok, so if i was to get this thing for the PC. what am i looking for?

a wireless network card and antenna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There are loads available, computer stores, Argos, Soundstore will all do them. Just ask for a wireless adapter

Depending on the distance involved (the longer the distance, the better the antenna required) you could get anything from a pci card to a usb key - I purchased a usb key last week for one of my pc's from Soundstore for €29.99 & its literally plug & play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Yeah a network card or a network adapter. As far as i know network cards involve opening the computer and installing them inside so maybe its easier just to get a thing that plugs into a usb port but whatever you prefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Don't buy from argos! they only have sh1te cards.

If its a desktop PC I'd recommend this if u don't mind opening case and slotting it into a PCI slot.

If thats too much for you then get this and just plug it into the usb port on your pc.

If its a laptop get either the second card above or get this for a more compact option.

Linksys are very good, easy to set up, reliable in my opinon. And elara will prob give u the one best prices around. I've used them many times before.

Advertisement