Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Poker Society

• 27-09-2005 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a poker society in UL?
    Saw some posts on ulsu but they are months old.
    Got any info then let me know :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I don't think there is a poker soc per sé. but there was a few poker nights (every wednesday night?) in the scolars before the end of last semester.

pity its closed down now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There was a big clampdown on 'poker nights' - not just in UL, but in all pubs that operated them throughout ireland, because theyve become pretty popular lately. Reason being that there was a law passed sometime in the 50s, banning any gambling events (or anything recognised as gambling) from taking place in any premises where alcohol was being sold.

Apparently until that law was passed, people would get pissed, play poker, and then bet their houses, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Can't say for sure about UL, but I know we tried to set one up in UCC and we were not allowed. Apparently they do not allow CLubs/Socs that promote gambling!!

Tbh I'd say you are out of luck, 'cept for whatever private games are going on!

oops sorry! Apparently Wrixon gave the go ahead last year in UCC... we begged for four years and noone listened... so maybe you could pull off the same here in UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

there used to be a tournament in the lodge (not the niteclub obviously) every tuesday
    as far as i remember
    that seems to be gone now too
    goddammit i need a credit card
    world series of poker watch ur ass then i tell u !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

If there is a poker club I havent heard of it but I would definatly be interested in joining if one was set up

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

440Hz wrote:
    Can't say for sure about UL, but I know we tried to set one up in UCC and we were not allowed. Apparently they do not allow CLubs/Socs that promote gambling!!

Our house tbh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:
    440Hz wrote:

...cept when i play. Damn lack of understanding :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Peteee wrote:

Yes, yes , I pwn all your chips!!!

To the OP, wander over to the SU and have a chat with em.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

seen a flyer wth holdem poker night at the arena starting from week 2 on monday nites cant remember wat time its starting though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭doc71

every tuesday boylesports poker in south court dealers tables etc

wats the entry and reg for the southcourt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭doc71

50 + 15 on rebuy or top up 50 + 10. Yes it is expensive but worth a look, but seems to be the only "legal" game in town...the city is crying out for a card club

check out www.pokerevents.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

The Southcourt is well worth checking out, very well run with dealers. In the first issue of poker player ire it said there was a soc starting this year, and i heard it one or two other places too!
    When is the thing in the cateen on - where all the clubs have their stands set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Apparently it was on tuesday and wednesday or something. I found out about it after it was over. Fecking typical.

Well i emailed paul lee head of the clubs and societies in the su
    will see what he says
    until then it looks like its the internet
    cause at the moment southcourt is too expensive for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

GSoc is hoping to host a few Poker Nights this year. log onto our website and inquire.

www.gsoc.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

But poker isnt a game! its a way of life... :D

did anyone else see dat flyer with poker at the arena on monday nite want to no the time its on.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

kodute wrote:
    But poker isnt a game! its a way of life... :D

life is just a game. :P

by the way. who liked my camoflague gear on Wednesday night :)

• Advertisement

anybody want to share a taxi to this tomoro nite.

Venue :South Court Hotel
    Address :Limerick
    Limerick
    Date : Tuesday 04th of October 2005
    Registration Time : 19:30
    Game Start Time : 20:00
    Estimated Finish Time : Not Specified

Prize Pool : EUR 10 000 e s t
    Buy In : EUR 50
    Reg Fee : EUR 15
    Additional Info : One re-buy only@50plus10
    http://www.poker.ie/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=403&Itemid=127

Hi Mike,

nothing that I aware of re a poker club, if you want to set it up you will need to call in to me with one or two others who are willing to set this up and I'll go through what is expected from a students union point of view.
    Regards,

Paul

Just got that from students union
    Now id love to have a society BUT im heading on holidays soon so i can help
    out but im wondering if there was anyone interested with some time on their
    hands to help get this up and running
    Just an idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

I'm more of a moan from the sidelines kinda guy. But someone should go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ghost-snot

we dont want to be members of no poindexter club, we want a poker club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ghost-snot

do they have a poker club now just notice this thread is 2 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yes. It's currently headed by Stephen Carmody. They've been running stuff all through the year on Mondays and they ran an intervarsity at the end of April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

sceptre wrote:
    Yes. It's currently headed by Stephen Carmody. They've been running stuff all through the year on Mondays and they ran an intervarsity at the end of April.

REALLY?? Ya coulda fooled me - i've emailed em twice recently and they havent even had the courtesy to reply!!!:mad:

Pity we dont have a set-up like they have up in DIT or in UCC, from what i've heard they have a real poker soc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dK1NG wrote:
    REALLY?? Ya coulda fooled me - i've emailed em twice recently and they havent even had the courtesy to reply!!!:mad:
    Well, their contact details may be set up incorrectly. Did you use the contact form on the UL clubs and socs page (it's there that the details may be wrong, though they should be the most current)? Or maybe they're not good at answering emails.

edit: turns out they have a bebo page which includes contact details.

dK1NG wrote:
    Pity we dont have a set-up like they have up in DIT or in UCC, from what i've heard they have a real poker soc!

After a hell of a lot of work yeah... when i was in UCC we tried for 4 years to set up a Poker soc but we were not allowed as it was seen as promoting gambling. I think it was the year after I left that the lads who stayed on to do the a masters there managed to get it, and that was only cos one of their mates had the final say at the time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

cooperguy wrote:
    If there is a poker club I havent heard of it but I would definatly be interested in joining if one was set up

Now that's a blast from the past!! Iv since discovered the poker society and joined it. Then realized the weekly games are badly structured and ran and dont go to them anymore. They are only good for the nights where you can qualify for intervarsities. If you want a good weekly tournament go to the one at Groody bar at 20:00 on a Monday. Im a regular there!! (and no I dont run it:D) It will be back next semester.

Advertisement