Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record pike

Options
  • 27-09-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭

From todays Irish Independent

Catch leaves angler happy as Larry

AN ANGLER claims to have landed the biggest pike caught in Irish waters.

Larry Kelly (34) said he landed a 42lb 12oz pike early last Sunday morning, breaking a record that has stood since the 18th century.

Yesterday, he said, the Central Fisheries Board told him that his pike - caught at a Co Westmeath trout lake and later returned to it - was officially the biggest ever landed in Irish waters. The previous rod-caught record for an Irish lough pike was 39lbs 3ozs.

"The Central Fisheries Board tell me it is a record," Larry, a plumber from Trim, Co Meath, said. "It was put back the same night, certified scales were used to confirm it and we had photographs taken."

Paul Melia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

wow, thats quite big, anyone got any pics.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

sheesh
    42lb? holy god.
    i wonder, it must have been owel, ennel or deravaragh.
    my money is on ennel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Ye, i thought Ennell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

It was caught on a 2 and a half pound dead bait, so he was after a biggy!

where though???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nodisco

Heres the pic

http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/fishing-pike.htm

The angler in question fishes Derravaragh and Lough Glore quite a lot. Glore has had a lot of low thirties caught in it, but hasn't got much bank access as the pic depicts. Am sure everyone will know soon enough

Fair play to him - he puts in the hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Piker007

2 and a half pound bait, how ever did he cast that out, its one fat hen alright, would be great to see more fish like that, the stories of years ago like the 92lb on the shannon and divers running scared from the bottom of lough neagh, and other lakes from the monster they have seen, one diver said that a massive fish turned a sunken tree under water about 20 foot from him and didnt move at the sight of the diver! If only pike lived as long as carp.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

This fish was caught in a private trout lake owned by the guys family.He's probably been fattening it up himself.Doesn't count IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Rumour has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sparks-

so in light of the record pike, whats all your record pikes?
    mines:29lbs 14oz on certified scales

BE HONEST!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mine is 20lb something...can't remember the exact ounces. Incidentally caught in the River Shannon, Banagher, Co Offaly.
    Is there good pike to be caught in Dublin and surrounding?

22lb * 2
    both from ballyhoe 1

Advertisement