Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gps Maps?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Any of our outdoor crew using gps.
    (Ok by now I realise Evil Phil and I are the outdoor crew... the other members are automated boards.ie generated responses)

I have one around 6 years and have used it with maps in europe/usa but I haven't found any Irish gps maps online(Prefably free). (I.E. to hook up to laptop and plot waypoints etc.)

Anyone else using them......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If you can hook it up to your PC then it might be worth looking at Google's Earth and Maps services.....I've been toying around with Google Earth Plus today and it looks like it has full GPS integration for Magellan and Garmin GPS units....

Pity mine's such an old Mag 310 - Doesn't even have PC connectivity!

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

I have a basic eTrex and I use GPS utility with it ( www.gpsu.co.uk ) - The free version handles up to 10 waypoints and small/medium sized scanned maps. I recommend you purchase the full version.

You simply ...
    > Get your OS map and scan in your chosen area.
    > Start gpsu, point to your scan, and set up two gpsu calibration references using grid intersections.
    > Mark your waypoints & route on the screen.
    > Save your data and upload it to your gps device.
    > Enjoy your trek and return safely.
    > Connect your gps device again and download your track log and any new waypoints you have marked. The entire route you took will be clearly visible on the screen.

I'd be happy to provide further help if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Thanks for that..it looks promising.
    I'll play with it over the weekend if I get a chance.

Cheers

To help anyone understand how GPSU works, I have attached a map with our walk of the Derrybawn ridge. There are 14 waypoints. The planned route is the blue/green line with arrows. The actual route taken is indicated by the purple/blue dots.

We joined a road/path at the "s" of "Giants Cut". From there you can see the line is less jagged . This path is not on the OS map so this new piece of mapping. (This path also continues to the left of our entry point but we did not map that section).

If you do decide to do this walk, do not follow our route from the road alongside the river to "TRAK 1". The terrain is very very difficult. Instead, go up the laneway as indicated in David Herman's Hill strollers Wicklow. Just cut left through trees at the top of the lane before you arrive at private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another option, which I use, is OziExplorer, and together with my Garmin etrex Venture, I've been using this for about 3 years now in Ireland, and always take it along to record my tracks and also for planning any walks I lead.

The big problem here in Ireland is getting decent maps in electronic format (although that is changing, see http://www.osi.ie/mapping/other/newProducts.shtml) and the general quality and lack of detail (especially paths and tracks, but also important information like the location of crags etc.). At a pinch you can scan and calibrate sections of OSi 1:50k maps, but I much prefer the Harvey's Wicklow map at 1:30k. I managed to persuade Harvey's to sell me an electronic version of their Wicklow map which I imported into OziExplorer and which I use almost exclusively unless it's an area off the map (mainly SW of Lugnaquillia and hills like Kirikee that are just off the edge).

Here's a sample of the same area eirman gave to give an idea of the difference. You'll see that all the tracks he followed are on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flagpole

hi,
    i bought Trailmaster East directly from the OSI , recieved it on Friday.my first impression is that its an excellent piece of software, user friendly, works well with my GPS ETC. The 3d mapping is fantastic, really gives you a feel for a route before you do it.

Just ordered mine ... there's no way that I can see to order this particular item directly via the website, so I had to resort to phoning them ... how primitive :) I'm intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flagpole

yeah, i had the same problem. in fact their website says that Trailmaster should have been available since 23 sept, which obviously wasnt the case (neither easons nor the osi office in cork had it up to last week).
    to give them their due they are very fast once ordered, i ordered trailmaster south today and should have it tomorrow.

East west mapping have them listed in their current catalogue

http://homepage.tinet.ie/%7Eeastwest/order.html

I ordered mine by phone from OSi in Phoenix Park on Monday and it arrived yesterday!

I'm seriously underwhelmed by the software though, and if I can find any way of extracting the map, aerial photo and height data and importing it into OziExplorer, I will.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    I'm seriously underwhelmed by the software though, and if I can find any way of extracting the map, aerial photo and height data and importing it into OziExplorer, I will.

You could try a screen capture utility - Get one free from NONAGS - http://www.nonags.com/nonags/menu.html
    ==============================================
    How accurate is the mapping compared the OS & Harveys printed maps ?

eirman wrote:
    You could try a screen capture utility - Get one free from NONAGS - http://www.nonags.com/nonags/menu.html
    ==============================================
    How accurate is the mapping compared the OS & Harveys printed maps ?
    I could do that, but it'd take for ever. The maps appear to be a proprietary modification to the PNG format, with some kind of application level compression or encryption algorithm applied.

Anyway, as far as the mapping goes, it's just the standard OSi 1:50k stuff in raster form, nothing extra. I still prefer my Harvey's map, and the software itself is kludgy and slow compared to OziExplorer, and more importantly to commercially available packages like Memory Map or Fugawi. Quite why the OSi went to a company (Star Informatic in Belgium) that makes GIS software to create an application like this, rather than make their data available to a company with a proven track record in this type of software is beyond me.

Advertisement