Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veronica Mars on Living

• 27-09-2005 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

Living are finally starting UPN's "Veronica Mars" next week. In typical Living fashion, they're burning it off 5 days a week @ 6.05pm á la "Joan of Arcadia" and "Everwood".

I was considering getting the DVD set in October, but now Living'll fly through S1 in no time :D

"Veronica Mars" begins Monday October 3rd On Living, Channel 112

Monday-Friday @ 6.05pm.

*edit, I just noticed it was mentioned on the 'Joss Whedon/VM thread, but it bears repeating* :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I only have one thing to say: Watch this show!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Did anyone see Kristen Bell doing 'Fame' during one of the 'showtunes' interludes on the Emmys last week? She can sing and dance and look hot with the best of them :D

Ye I saw that,she was by far the best! Donald Trump??? Come on! lol She looked hot and she is a very good singer as well :D

Will this be released on DVD (region 2) anytime soon? I don't want to watch it on Living because that would suck.

Will this be released on DVD (region 2) anytime soon? I don't want to watch it on Living because that would suck.

No R2 release scheduled yet -- doesn't make much sense to release it when it's not been on TV in the UK yet.

The R1 set is out in October, though why watching it on Living would suck is beyond me. I wouldn't be likely to watch them quicker on DVD than Living will be showing them :confused:

• Advertisement

Just watched the first three episodes tonight -- crazy Friday night ;)

Anyway, 'Veronica Mars' is really really good! Kristen Bell is great in the lead role, very natural and believable. The series is perhaps a little darker in style than I was expecting, but that's only a plus in my book. The pilot was extremely slick and hooked me immediately. I just had to watch more!

I'd be tempted to get the R1 DVD set just to rush even faster through S1 than Living's 5-day-a-week slot.

Definitely a huge highlight of the recent US output (including most of the new shows just starting).

Is anyone else watching on Living?

*edit* the R1 S1 DVD set is on CDWOW for €45.99 (just ordered mine) :D

Veronica Mars Season 1 DVD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Yeah, I saw the first 3 or 4 when it started in America and then stopped watching it.

People here said that it got better throughout the season so I've started watching it on Living.

Great show. Implausible but believable :)

Does anyone know if it's being edited due to it's timeslot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I'm hooked already! I was weary before it began though because so many people had made it out to be absoultly fabulous and I'm pleased to say I'm not dissapointed! The only thing I wish is if Living could play it once a week because it takes up a lot of homework/study time!!

Does anyone know if it's being edited due to it's timeslot?

They do seem to keep giving a disclaimer about unsuitable content @ the start of each episode, but I'm not sure if they're editing it. If they are, it doesn't appear to be noticeable so far? I'll have a look @ the DVD episodes and see if there's anything that Living didn't show.

I don't *think* they're editing it though.
    The only thing I wish is if Living could play it once a week because it takes up a lot of homework/study time!!

I want to catch up and get stuck into S2, so I'm glad they're showing it 5 days a week :) They'll probably do a catch-up w/e or something soon if you miss any. With 'Joan of Arcadia', they show S2 5 days a week, and then when it finished, they showed one episode a week on Tuesday after that, so they'll probably do the same with VM -- assuming you can wait til the season is over though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

TCamen wrote:
    I don't *think* they're editing it though.
    There's really not that much to edit in the show (no bad language, no "adult situations"), but it'll be interesting to see how they deal with the second to last episode (those who've seen it before know what I'm talking about, no need to discuss it here)

• Advertisement

There's really not that much to edit in the show (no bad language, no "adult situations")
    Well the dead best friend is quite bloody for 6pm, and the date-rape thing from the pilot was adult enough. Thankfully they haven't seemed to cut it

This isn't a spoiler about the penultimate episode, incase anyone's worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

TCamen wrote:
    Well the dead best friend is quite bloody for 6pm, and the date-rape thing from the pilot was adult enough. Thankfully they haven't seemed to cut it

This isn't a spoiler about the penultimate episode, incase anyone's worried.

I bet they will down the line though. There are some shots of Lilly in ghost-form bloody make-up which are pretty gross for 6pm and may frighten channel-hopping kids. Not to mention the rape storyline which is pretty heavy when it crops up again.

Certainly, I know from Sky that they were trigger-happy with scissors on lots of programmes pre-9pm (and sometimes even afterwards!), so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Veronica is affected in such an early timeslot.

I bet they will down the line though. There are some shots of Lilly in ghost-form bloody make-up which are pretty gross for 6pm and may frighten channel-hopping kids. Not to mention the rape storyline which is pretty heavy when it crops up again.

I thought the bit with Lilly when Duncan stopped taking his anti-depressants was pretty graphic for 6pm alright.

I hate watching edited programmes, either for content or running time, and 'Veronica Mars' is so good, I just don't want to think about missing bits! I'll hopefully be graduating to the DVDs this week, so I hope Living are good in the meantime. :)

Well there is a season two discussion so i thought perhaps we could discuss season one here? Is anyone else like me and just startin to watch it?? I love it so much!! Fridays eppy was great!

It's probably safer to keep this thread to S1 Living airings alright -- spoilers for anything Lily Kane related would suck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Well I am just after finishing the first season, I have to say that it was a very good show, would give it about 8/10 maybe even 8.5/10. The ending was brilliant, I think I might just start watching season 2 now!!

Does anyone think Living will automatically reume season two once season one is over? How long has season two been on for over in the U.S. One thing is for sure Veronica Mars kicks the o.c. and one tree hills asses! Only hardly anyone I know, no wait know one I know, knows about this show!

Season 2 has only been on since the end of September (only 4 episodes have aired so far) so there's no possible way Living can run S2 in the current 5 days a week slot. They won't start S2 even once a week @ this early stage either, because they'd have to take breaks during the run which generally channels over here don't like to do.

Living can be really good with some of their shows and start them early enough in the new year, but they do let some shows slide until the summer or later. I guess it'll depend on how many people are watching S1 @ the moment as to what they do with S2 next year.

For example -- They usually leave 'Everwood' until June/July and then run it 5 days a week, but they still haven't started S3 and it's over a year since they aired S2. Other shows like 'Will & Grace', 'The L Word', 'Charmed' & 'CSI' they try and get new episodes on as soon as they can (but always with a decent lag-time to the US airings).

I've started in with the S1 DVDs -- should finish tomorrow, I can't wait to find out what happens!! If there's an evil cliffhanger I'll just have to get my cousins to send over S2 asap.

• Advertisement

d4gurl wrote:
    One thing is for sure Veronica Mars kicks the o.c. and one tree hills asses! Only hardly anyone I know, no wait know one I know, knows about this show!

It is so much better than The O.C and OTH -- both of which are mediocre @ best most of the time. I had to give up on OTH in S2 because it was just so bad!

It's a shame Veronica Mars doesn't have as wide a profile as the other teen shows. I'm sure that'll change if an Irish channel decides to air it, but who knows...

Tg4 should really think of getting Veronica Mars! hmm im off now to write an email to the folks at tg4!

Just finished S1 -- wow, what a great show! :D

No spoilers, but I really really enjoyed the finale. I've asked my cousins to send S2 eps tonight :p
    Tg4 should really think of getting Veronica Mars!

I'd pay them to replace OTH with Veronica Mars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I was just sitting idly at my desk and began thinking about the name Abel. And then Kane of course. Abel Koontz. Kane software. Cain and Able.

How the hell did I not spot that earlier?

Neptune and Mars? :D

Well, I always made the planetary connection, but I forgot that Neptune and Mars were Roman gods as well.

Is there any story where the two clash?

I am so annoyed! I recorded Veronica Mars tonight on sky plus and stupid thing didnt record it because are signal went! I really wanted to see tonights episode - doesnt look as if Living will be repeating the episode either grrrr!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I can't! I don't know what to download of and those programmes don't work on my computer anyway! I can only use Kazaa Lite Resurecction which isn't downloading the episode! Oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I had already acquired two episodes of the new season from my cousins and realized I had yet to watch any of the first season either. I thought "Ah sure, I may as well watch it, see what the fuss is about."

It's a couple of weeks later and now I'm done on season one :) I was trying to limit myself to one a day but just had to watch the final three in a row. All-in-all very satisfied with the finale and how things resolve.

One thing I really like about the show is I like all the characters - very hard for a show to accomplish. I can't think of another show where I enjoy everyone's character in the light I'm supposed to (and yes that includes "Lost"). Veronica herself reminds me somewhat of a mix of Buffy (before she was a bitch) and Chloe from "Smallville" and was likeable immediately but it's Logan who grew the most in my opinion. Some smashing acting all round.

Now onwards to S2 - and next time I'll know to listen when people rave aboue a show despite what its premise might seem to suggest (i.e. another OC - which it so very much isn't).

After tonights episode all I can say is wtf is up with the camera in Logans room? Freaky stuff! Plus the whol rape issue is resolved I thought the out come was predictable tbh! Loved this episode!! Love this show!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

ixoy wrote:
    Veronica herself reminds me somewhat of a mix of Buffy (before she was a bitch) and Chloe from "Smallville"

well it is regarded as the new buffy, especially by Joss Whedon himself!
    both him and Kevin Smith are huge fans.
    and funnily enough Kristen Bell did audition for the part of Chloe, and her and Allison Mack are really good friends.

this show is definitely my new tv obsession, it did take a few weeks to get into(i originally hated the first 2 episodes, but looking back they're great!)
    still though the first season does have some serious flaws about it(which thankfully without getting into details, do for the most part get ironed out in season 2), the way they handled certain characters and scenes, but the good FAR outweighs the bad,
    and top of that list is definitely the relationship between Veronica and Keith, which is just so amazing! seriously Keith for all his flaws is such an amazing Father.
    The great thing about this show is that you know by the end of each respective season all the a-plot mystery is going to be solved, it fully delivers on all its promises with surprising yet plausible results(for the most part).
    But the shows strongest point ? a certain Logan Echolls, i hated the guy with a passion in the beggining of season 1, he was the most arrogant prick of the the kings and queens of Arrogance, the 09'ers.
    but, his link with Lily(who i could literally write an essay about) and hence Veronica transforms him into one of the most sympathetic characters on the show, and his shining moment for me, the one that defines his character is that scene from 'Weapons of class destruction'.

i could seriously write tons more on this show, from everything to Mac to Weevil and even Lamb...but i better stop.

judging from what d4gurl say's the next new episode you'll see on living is the season finale.....yay!!

still though the first season does have some serious flaws about it(which thankfully without getting into details, do for the most part get ironed out in season 2)

I've just started S2 (watched the premiere, and have the next ones waiting), though I'd love to know what the flaws in S1 that you mention are -- not to sound all rabid fan about it - I might even agree, if in a less 'serious flaw' way :)
    But the shows strongest point? a certain Logan Echolls

It was quite impressive the turn-around with Logan, because it was so believable despite the relative speed of it all (and even faster when you watch multiple episodes a night! ;) )

I think one thing that really stands out for me is that, while new problem kids of the week continue to surface, the show is filled with lots of interesting recurring characters that appear every now and then, and make the world of VM that bit more believable e.g Mac, Meg, Leo, Casey, Madison. I loved in the penultimate episode of S1 that virtually every recurring student we'd seen all season made an appearance.
    judging from what d4gurl say's the next new episode you'll see on living is the season finale.....yay!!

Yup, it's the S1 finale tonight -- After that Living will probably do their usual once-a-week repeat of the season, Tuesdays @ 8pm.
    Neptune and Mars?

And in 'Mars Vs Mars', there were the 3 central characters with the surnames - Bishop, Knight & Rooks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

d4gurl wrote:
    Plus the whol rape issue is resolved I thought the out come was predictable tbh! Loved this episode!! Love this show!!!:D
    Predictable? Wow, I'm impressed if you were able to predict that! Any chance of getting next Saturday's lotto numbers?

Wow what a finale!! That is what you call great T.V.! I really want to know who is at the door hmmm my money is on Duncan or Wallace!! I can't wait for season2!! Plus her mum took their 50G that was mean!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

d4gurl wrote:
    Tg4 should really think of getting Veronica Mars!

Last Sunday's Tribune said that RTE will be showing it. can't remember the date though, maybe they didn't mention one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

ixoy wrote:
    ..but it's Logan who grew the most in my opinion. Some smashing acting all round.

Agree - you have to respect the character depth they gave Logan by season's end which I could never have foreseen back at the beginning. Somewhere in the middle, you began to wonder if he was just decent guy who was misunderstood, then reconsidered an thought he was just a jerk and then were forced to reconsider again!
    ixoy wrote:
    Now onwards to S2 - and next time I'll know to listen when people rave aboue a show despite what its premise might seem to suggest (i.e. another OC - which it so very much isn't).

I think, thankfully, the public fascination with The OC has/is reaching its peak. Veronica on the other hand deserves an audience and critical praise. What's the bet something decent loses out while The OC gets watched and raved about? But yes, next time listen to us sooner!!! (Have to admit, it took a few people praising Prison Break during the summer for me to give that a go - hokey premise, maybe, but it's a fun journey.)
    Fence wrote:
    Last Sunday's Tribune said that RTE will be showing it. can't remember the date though, maybe they didn't mention one.

Purely curious, but in what context was it mentioned? New RTE programmes? New programmes in general? Or was it talking about the show being on Living and saying it was coming to Irish TV in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

d4gurl wrote:
    Wow what a finale!! That is what you call great T.V.! I really want to know who is at the door hmmm my money is on Duncan or Wallace!! I can't wait for season2!! Plus her mum took their 50G that was mean!!

I was thinking it was either gonna be Logan or Weevil.

I am eager to find out what Weevil did to Logan too. Loved this show & can not wait for the next one!!!!

Faye
    Mrs Bond

I was thinking it would be Wallace. Duncan's a possibility.

Logan or Weevil though? I think they might be otherwise occupied.

Agree with Herobear that the relationship between Veronica and Keith is one of the most compelling and original I've seen unfold on screen. Not sure what you mean by Keith's many flaws though, he's a bit too perfect at times.

So i emailed tg4 here is what i got back (Regarding them showing Veronica Mars!)

Thanks for your message. We have seen 'Veronica Mars' and like the show a lot.
    Unfortunately, I believe that the show has been acquired by another broadcaster
    in Ireland - I am not sure which one.

Thanks again for your interest in TG4's schedules.

Best wishes,

Persoanlly i hate RTe and love Tg4 just because I don't know! But its great to know people will finally get to watch this great show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Just finished watching the first season on DVD. I am in love with this show! :D

I think I can safely quote Joss Whedon when I say: Best. Show. Ever.
    I'm surprised the ratings aren't higher. But I guess any blurb about the show would turn people off it. It's not the easiest sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

doh.ie wrote:
    Purely curious, but in what context was it mentioned? New RTE programmes? New programmes in general? Or was it talking about the show being on Living and saying it was coming to Irish TV in the future?

They had a feature on Lost season two, didn't read, full of spoilers, but they also had a list of shows that RTE would be getting. The big one I noticed was Veronica Mars as have heard so much good stuff about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Daelus wrote:
    I'm surprised the ratings aren't higher. But I guess any blurb about the show would turn people off it. It's not the easiest sell.
    That's the thing. I told my friend the description of it and he gave a sort of dismissive "okay.." to it. Sure I did the same when I heard it originally. You really have to sit down and watch a couple of episodes to see past the blurb of a high-school detective..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A bit of a slow one this week.. just feel i'm not being suprised or intrigued by the plot developments anymore.

PS - Teddy Dunn (aka Duncan) made an appearance in 'Grey's Anatomy' this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

is it back on, and if so, since when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

julep wrote:
    is it back on, and if so, since when?
    First episode since February 8th last Wednesday night..

I say this to everyone but this site needs to be in your bookmarks - they show the days / dates that a new episode of a popular show is on.

So you can find out if you've only one page to go to to see if there's a new episode of Lost / 24 / VM (etc) this week.

Advertisement