Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP router/firewall with IPsec support?

• 27-09-2005 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

Title kinda says it all. I'm looking for a VoIP router that will do it all for me, including client-side IPsec VPN support. I don't think Linksys offers that combo, for instance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Blaster99 wrote:
    Title kinda says it all. I'm looking for a VoIP router that will do it all for me, including client-side IPsec VPN support. I don't think Linksys offers that combo, for instance.
    Both the Linksys RT31P2, and WRT54GP2 routers support VPN passthrough, and VoIP:

Security > VPN Passthrough >
    "This Router supports IPSec, PPTP, and PPPoE Passthrough. You can select either Enable or Disable for these options."

From the user guide:
    "Is IPSec Pass-Through supported by the Router?
    Yes, it is a built-in feature that the Router automatically enables."

hth,
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'm not looking for pass-through, I'm looking for IPsec termination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Blaster99 wrote:
    I'm not looking for pass-through, I'm looking for IPsec termination.

If it all needs to be in the one box then maybe you'll find something at :

http://www.draytek.co.uk

Has anyone used any of those Draytek's? I recognise the name for some reason so I presume they're not a mickey mouse outfit?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Blaster99 wrote:
    Has anyone used any of those Draytek's? I recognise the name for some reason so I presume they're not a mickey mouse outfit?

I looked into buying one a couple of months back, their expensive but they appear to be very good indeed.
    Only place I could find that sells them is overclockers.co.uk

• Advertisement

I'm not that price sensitive. It's for a commercial application so quality is the main requirement. There are a few places that sell them in the UK. The one that meets my requirements is about £170.

I believe my VoIP requirement means I can't get a cheap-ass VoIP router and a simple ATA, as the router would not have VoIP Qos built-in, which is another requirement. Hence, something like a DrayTek it is...

I'm sitting here playing around with a Draytek Vigor2900VG. I've signed up with Blueface and it's working fine. I will muck around with the VPN end of things now. The documentation didn't match the management interface when it comes to the VoIP setup, but it was obvious enough. I haven't tried anything particularly advanced, mind.

Advertisement