Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Sync

• 27-09-2005 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Ok first I'll give my set up so there's no confusion;

UTV Click Silver Plus 2mb/s
    Creative Broadband Blaster Modem connected via ethernet
    A merrion alarm system

Well right to the problem,

At night time my DSL light keeps flashing and then will stay solid for about 1-5 seconds then start flashing again, this happens 60% of nights from usually 9pm-2am.

I have rang utv many many times and they're so f*cking hard to deal with most of the time and don't want to help at all.

Is this a result of having an alarm? or is it something else?

Thanks,

maiden

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

It could be the result of the alarm, but if it only drops between a certain time it would be a local issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

It goes at different times and UTV got some engineer to check it out and they said I'm too far away from the exchange and I have to change to 1mb/s.

I just wanted a better opinion from people who seem to actually know what their talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is it a monitored alarm system ?

I'd be suprised to see broadband & a monitored alarm living happily together as even Eircom Phonewatch wont work with Eircom broadband.....

Yea it's monitored

I just spoke to a cousin of mine who works (allegedly ;) ) for UTV IP...he reckons that's definitely the root of the problem as the alarm is trying to communicate with its host (Merrion). Alarm systems use a form of analog modem apparently that doesn't like the digital broadband line. He reckons they have this problem quite a bit & although some alarms will work, they throw out a general disclaimer saying that no alarms will work with the system. See: http://www.utvclicksilver.com/avail.asp

Not sure what the solution is, although he reckons you should ask your alarm company to do a loopback test, just to make sure that if your alarm does go off, it can still contact Merrion.....

As for being too far from the exchange, he reckons that a load of tosh...if you can get 1Mb, then you can get 2Mb.

Sorry i cant be more helpful.....

• Advertisement

Thanks very much appreciated :)

Merrion say it's not them and so do utv :(

I'll look into this more later.

Merrion say it's not them and so do utv :(

I'll look into this more later.

Lol - standard UTV policy (if you can get through to them)....Deny EVERYTHING !!!

Good luck - If I get any more info, I'll pm you with it

Thanks mate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Have a read of THIS THREAD . It describes in detail the process of getting your BB to work with a monitored alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Andip wrote:

As for being too far from the exchange, he reckons that a load of tosh...if you can get 1Mb, then you can get 2Mb.
    your friend is wrong, tell him to stick to dialup support :P

The technology is distance sensitive, the farther you are from the exchange the slower your speed with be.

To OP, yes that is a possibility, you're line may not be capable of sustaining a 2mb connection, the contention in the area may be high, so at peak times you loose connection. It may work better on 1mb.

// I assume they when tru the usual stuff, main phone point, without splitter etc?
    Also updating your routers firmware may help.

• Advertisement

azezil wrote:
    // I assume they when tru the usual stuff, main phone point, without splitter etc?
    Also updating your routers firmware may help.

Yeah did that and I've updated my firmware

Advertisement