Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squad for Cyprus & Switzerland

• 27-09-2005 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Shay Given
    Paddy Kenny
    Nicky Colgan

Kenny Cunningham
    Gary Breen
    Andy O’Brien
    Richard Dunne
    John O’Shea
    Stephen Carr
    Ian Harte
    Steve Finnan

Andy Reid
    Steven Reid
    Liam Miller
    Matt Holland
    Graham Kavanagh
    Kevin Kilbane
    Damien Duff

David Connolly
    Gary Doherty
    Stephen Elliott
    Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane
    Clinton Morrison

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I still cant fathom why he includes:

Gary Breen
    Liam Miller
    Gary Doherty

I didnt look him up, but who is Kevin Doyle again?

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

eirebhoy wrote:
    Shay Given
    Paddy Kenny
    Nicky Colgan

Kenny Cunningham
    Gary Breen
    Andy O’Brien
    Richard Dunne
    John O’Shea
    Stephen Carr
    Ian Harte
    Steve Finnan

Andy Reid
    Steven Reid
    Liam Miller
    Matt Holland
    Graham Kavanagh
    Kevin Kilbane
    Damien Duff

David Connolly
    Gary Doherty
    Stephen Elliott
    Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane
    Clinton Morrison

Surely Doyler should be 3rd choice here. he is a better player than Morrison, Dohert and Connolly.

Im absolutely delighted that Cork Citys own Kevin Doyle got his call up. Though I am somewhat perplexed by it all. he only moved to Reading in June, and has since scored 3 goals, and by all accounts playing very well. Has he improved so much in 3 months to warrant a call up, when his name wasnt even mentioned while he was still at City? Sure, he is improving, but surely if he is good enough now, he was good enough 4 months ago, while he was banging them in for City? Amazingly, he wasnt even first choice for the U21s then!

Is this the Irish management showing major double standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gimmick wrote:

I reckon so..he hasnt become a completley new player since signing for reading.. it just shows how the FAI percieve the standard of the best eL players..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

gimmick wrote:
    Surely Doyler should be 3rd choice here. he is a better player than Morrison, Dohert and Connolly.

Im absolutely delighted that Cork Citys own Kevin Doyle got his call up. Though I am somewhat perplexed by it all. he only moved to Reading in June, and has since scored 3 goals, and by all accounts playing very well. Has he improved so much in 3 months to warrant a call up, when his name wasnt even mentioned while he was still at City? Sure, he is improving, but surely if he is good enough now, he was good enough 4 months ago, while he was banging them in for City? Amazingly, he wasnt even first choice for the U21s then!

A bit silly and shows your bias to say that he is better than Morrison, a top level player who has scored a lot of goals in his career and it is the same for Connolly, even though I am not his biggest fan.

Doyle has been impressive for Reading and now that he has experience in a higher level than the eL, in front of larger crowds and against more organised defences, he deserves the call up.

It will be good experience and will help his development further.

Maybe you should realise that Kerr knows more about football than you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

redspider wrote:

Gary Breen
    Liam Miller
    Gary Doherty

redspider
    i understand what you mean, but who would you pick ahead of each one considering international experience does count for a good bit at times like this. Still though, why is Aidan McGeady not in this sqyad!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

redspider wrote:

Gary Breen
    Liam Miller
    Gary Doherty

redspider

Who should he bring in instead then? Breen has been in fine form for West Ham this season and has played a big part in their great start to the season - he's in there on merrit alone. The others are squad players who will feature only if there's a bizarre list of injuries or when Kerr runs out of ideas up front and sticks on the ginger Pelé.

Doyle's only in there to give him a taste of life in the squad and will never and should never be considered above of seasoned internationals like Morrison and Connolly.

Draupnir wrote:

A bit silly and shows your bias to say that he is better than Morrison,

a top level player who has scored a lot of goals in his career and it is the same for Connolly, even though I am not his biggest fan.

Having seen all 3 play, I have no doubt that Doyle is a better, more complete player than both of the above, and at that, I would be a fan of Morrisson.
    Draupnir wrote:
    Doyle has been impressive for Reading and now that he has experience in a higher level than the eL, in front of larger crowds and against more organised defences, he deserves the call up.

To be fair, he has only been at Reading since June 11th. Im not doubting that he has stepped up a level. he is playing in better grounds, and training in better facilities, though I would question about better defences, as i reckon the bottom half of the Championship is not much, if at all, better than the eL.
    Draupnir wrote:
    It will be good experience and will help his development further.

Maybe you should realise that Kerr knows more about football than you?

Sarcasm, the last resort :rolleyes: . If you read what I said, I merely questioned the fact that 4 months ago, Dolye was nowhere near full international recognition. Do you not find it somewhat odd, that all of a sudden he is now 'ready'? I am not doubting Kerrs knowledge etc, just a bit perplexed as to how this has happened?

Who should he bring in instead then? Breen has been in fine form for West Ham this season and has played a big part in their great start to the season - he's in there on merrit alone. The others are squad players who will feature only if there's a bizarre list of injuries or when Kerr runs out of ideas up front and sticks on the ginger Pelé.

Doyle's only in there to give him a taste of life in the squad and will never and should never be considered above of seasoned internationals like Morrison and Connolly.

Gary Breen plays for Sunderland. I stopped reading your post after you said he played for West Ham.

gimmick wrote:
    Sarcasm, the last resort :rolleyes: . If you read what I said, I merely questioned the fact that 4 months ago, Dolye was nowhere near full international recognition. Do you not find it somewhat odd, that all of a sudden he is now 'ready'? I am not doubting Kerrs knowledge etc, just a bit perplexed as to how this has happened?

That was sarcasm. I dont think its sarcastic to assume Brian Kerr knows more than you.

I think you are overestimating Doyle's inclusion, he wont play imo, he is in there for the experience and that is Kerr's idea. To get Doyle the experience to allow him to build on his season so far and hopefully bring him to the level where he starts national games.

In all fairness, you cant play a player in international games who is being marked by part timers week in week out in most of his club games in the eL. The change in standard is just too severe. Thats why Doyle wasnt called up when he was "banging them in for Cork".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tauren wrote:
    Still though, why is Aidan McGeady not in this sqyad!?
    Because he hasn't been getting his game for Celtic and when he has he has been poor. Hasn't been on good form for a while.

Don Givens is not calling up players to the U21 squad if they aren't eligible for then European Championships. Doyle will not be eligible so there's no harm in him been in the full squad to gain experience. Plus the fact that he is the only fairly tall striker in the squad that can actually play football (since Morrison is not available to play Cyprus).

• Advertisement

McGeady on his chances, also mentions Miller:

“I’d love to go to the World Cup. It’s the dream of every player, but I know I have to be playing first-team football here (at Celtic) to even stand a chance. Brian Kerr has made it clear that he won’t pick me if I’m on the bench every week and I understand that.

“Obviously he’s made exceptions to that rule, like with Liam Miller, but Miller is a top quality player who he knows well, whereas I’m still a young lad just coming through. He has just told me to stay positive, because my time will come again soon enough. Hopefully he’s right.

“All I’m trying to do is get back in the team here, and to do that I’m just going to get my head down, work away really hard, and make it as hard as possible for the manager to leave me out. And, if I get a chance, I know I’ll have to take it.”

He got 5 goals and 11 assists in 25 starts last season so is not just flicks and tricks. Hopefully its just a blip.

Draupnir wrote:

In all fairness, you cant play a player in international games who is being marked by part timers week in week out in most of his club games in the eL. The change in standard is just too severe. Thats why Doyle wasnt called up when he was "banging them in for Cork".

There arent many part timers left in the eL. We are not going to agree on this, so no point on going on about it ad nauseum, but my final thought on the ,matter is this - it doesnt matter how well you are playing, its got more to do with where you are playing.

I wish Kev Doyle all the best. He may not play this time round, but he will be a regular very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Meh. The Doyle thing confuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

eirebhoy wrote:
    David Connolly
    I, for one, am overjoyed :D
    I really hope he is picked on the team and does all his talking with his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who should he bring in instead then? Breen has been in fine form for West Ham this season and has played a big part in their great start to the season - he's in there on merrit alone.

Thats a funny read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:

Im absolutely delighted that Cork Citys own Kevin Doyle got his call up.

Ahhh Cork Citys lad from wexford who they signed from St Pats...that Kevin Doyle? Or is there another one from Cork?

Cant see him getting a game and dont see the 3 goals or more we need in that squad to get us into a plyoff :(

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

gimmick wrote:
    it doesnt matter how well you are playing, its got more to do with where you are playing.

This does have alot to do with it and rightly so but obviously it also depends on how well you are playing. Lee Trundle is far and away the best player in League 2. He scores countless goals and has lots of assists and basically runs rings around defenders in that division. Saying that its a poor level of football and so he doesnt deserve to be in it. By and large the Eircom league is a poor standard (with the exception of maybe the top 4) so you are never going to be recognised playing there. You need to be playing in a recognised league. I will agree though that he couldnt possibly have progressed that much in 4 months but again he has proven he can do it in a recognised league so now is the time to give him the experience of being in an Irish squad.

That said he wont play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

disgraceful!!! why is one cap wonder jon macken not in the squad :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats a funny read.

yep , I don't know if we can ever take take him seriously again :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Big Ears wrote:
    yep , I don't know if we can ever take take him seriously again :D .

did we ever take him seriously? :p

but on the Kevin Doyle thing, you can't just pick a player playing in a really poor league just because he is scoring lots of goals.

The gulf in standards between the championship and the Eircom league is still huge (although the gap is closing slowly).

Doyle has now proved that he can play at a higher tempo, against some very experienced defenders (lots of past premiership defenders in championship).

Roy Keane would never have been picked for Ireland if he stayed playing for Cobh ramblers, yet the week he was signed he was thrown straight into the first team by Cluffy!

Fair play to him for playing well enough to be noticed. And hopefully he will go on to become a prolific scorer in England (and for Ireland too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Gary Breen
    Breen is well past his best before date. There must be some young centre-back playing somewhere that is reasonable and this is a perfect time to give some experience of the international scene. It is true that Breen could do a job for us if absolutely necessary, a sign of Kerr's over-cautiousness perhaps.

Liam Miller
    He should not be picked. If McGeady is fit, and it sounds like he is, then he should be in the squad. He had talent last season so there is no reason why he cant do it this season again, and an international call-up would surely help his confidence. Miller was given that call-up for the last match and now it only seems fair that McGeady gets a call-up. The wrong selection by Kerr imo.

Gary Doherty
    I'd prefer to have him out of the squad so that Kerr cant rely on him as some sort of super-sub for the long-ball game. Kerr likes him, because he can play both at the back and up front, but imo, he can do neither well. Like Breen, he could do a job for us if we are desperate for players, but we aren't. There must be a young forward somewhere. Even some of the older LOI players could do a reasonable job, Glen Crowe et al. Its time to de-select Gary I'm afraid.

Kevin Doyle
    Whilst it may seem that picking him in the squad now is a bit of kick in the teeth for the LOI, I think we should be happy for the lad to get into the squad whoever he's playing with. The debate will rage as to why Irish Managers dont pick players in LOI shirts. I think they should, but most of the recent management teams from Jack Charlton onwards have only been looking at players in England. They sort of consider it like an interview, a standard, if a player is good enough to play in England, then he has proved something. Its Ireland's loss that they do not get picked when in the LOI. The other factor is that the difference between the english premiership and the LOI has widened in the last 15 years. Gone are the days when Pierce O'Leary playing for Shamrock Rovers got a 1st team place for Ireland. Kerr has good links into the LOI though so you would think that if there was any player of note breaking through then he would spot him and get him in the squad asap.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

No place for our returning superstar Lee Carsley either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Carlseys injured atm.

I hope Doyle will do a job for us but I always feel a manager is bottling it when he starts introducing new players this late in a campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I hope Doyle will do a job for us but I always feel a manager is bottling it when he starts introducing new players this late in a campaign.

Hopefully someone can do a job for us. I don't care who it is. We need a good 3 or 4 goals and, by recent performances, I can't see us getting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

redspider wrote:
    Gary Breen
    Breen is well past his best before date. There must be some young centre-back playing somewhere that is reasonable and this is a perfect time to give some experience of the international scene. It is true that Breen could do a job for us if absolutely necessary, a sign of Kerr's over-cautiousness perhaps.
    While I'm not Breen's biggest fan, he has played very well for us at times before. I don't think the most crucial matches of our qualifying campaign are the most suitable time to be including "some young centre-back playing somewhere that is reasonable" at the expense of a veteran of the Irish panel that has been excellent for us at times previous.
    redspider wrote:
    Liam Miller
    He should not be picked. If McGeady is fit, and it sounds like he is, then he should be in the squad. He had talent last season so there is no reason why he cant do it this season again, and an international call-up would surely help his confidence. Miller was given that call-up for the last match and now it only seems fair that McGeady gets a call-up. The wrong selection by Kerr imo.
    Again, I don't like seeing Miller in the Irish team on current form. But how you could possibly be calling for McGeady's inclusion ahead of him is puzzling. McGeady is in the exact same position as Miller, on the bench and not playing well. At least Miller has more experience and has shown more glimpses of class at the top level over his career.
    redspider wrote:
    Gary Doherty
    I'd prefer to have him out of the squad so that Kerr cant rely on him as some sort of super-sub for the long-ball game. Kerr likes him, because he can play both at the back and up front, but imo, he can do neither well. Like Breen, he could do a job for us if we are desperate for players, but we aren't. There must be a young forward somewhere. Even some of the older LOI players could do a reasonable job, Glen Crowe et al. Its time to de-select Gary I'm afraid.
    Again while I don't jump for joy every time I see Doherty's number on the substitution board, I don't forget that he weighted in with some very important goals in the last qualifying campaign.

It may not be pretty but it can be effective at times, and on this he merits his inclusion given our alternative options available.
    redspider wrote:
    Kevin Doyle
    Whilst it may seem that picking him in the squad now is a bit of kick in the teeth for the LOI, I think we should be happy for the lad to get into the squad whoever he's playing with. The debate will rage as to why Irish Managers dont pick players in LOI shirts. I think they should, but most of the recent management teams from Jack Charlton onwards have only been looking at players in England. They sort of consider it like an interview, a standard, if a player is good enough to play in England, then he has proved something. Its Ireland's loss that they do not get picked when in the LOI. The other factor is that the difference between the english premiership and the LOI has widened in the last 15 years. Gone are the days when Pierce O'Leary playing for Shamrock Rovers got a 1st team place for Ireland. Kerr has good links into the LOI though so you would think that if there was any player of note breaking through then he would spot him and get him in the squad asap.
    I agree with other posters that his inclusion is more for experience rather than as a realistic option that Kerr will use. Hopefully this experience will mean that someday he is a viable option.

I don't see how this is a kick in the teeth for the LOI. I bet if Doyle hadn't bagged a couple of goals in the Championship that we wouldn't see him in the squad. He has shown that he can play at a higher level than the LOI, and unfortunately for us the Championship is a level good enough for inclusion in the Irish squad.

And not to open a can of worms, but I've been away for a number of weeks and am not up to speed yet. What is the story with Roy Keane? I heard he was injured but then managed to play against Livepool, and now he is injured again. Should we expect a miraculous return in time for the Swiss game?

What is the story with Roy Keane? I heard he was injured but then managed to play against Livepool, and now he is injured again.

He broke a bone in his foot against Liverpool.

Re Breen : If he is playing well, he deserves a call up. I for one always felt he did a very good job whenever he played for Ireland, see World Cup 2002 for a prime example.

gimmick wrote:
    He broke a bone in his foot against Liverpool.
    Grand, I didn't see the game. So he is definitely out of the Swiss match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I look at that team sheet and see only one name that as an opposing player might make me stop and think, Damien Duff. I look at the rest (besides shay given) and just think, "a thats grand". There is not one players except duff that ever troubles other players, of any skill and talent.

The Irish squad really is a mediocre poor side =/ for the talent that plays at schoolboy level that never make the national team, something is going wrong in there, the gap between schoolboy level and then club level. Breen, Doherty, like what the hell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to agree that now is not the time for bringing in inexperienced players so Gary Breen has to be included although judging by Sunderlands form so far this season he cant be playing particularily well. Liam Miller is absolutely useless and he has always been like that. He is a below average player who I wouldnt even like to see playing in the championship with Leeds because he wouldnt be good enough but then again there is nobody else at the moment who has any international experience who could replace him. Neither of those two wll get near the pitch anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Liam Miller should have listend to Martin O'Neill, and his career wouldn't be in the toilet - perminantly!

But he took his chances as a promising player for celtic, took his big pay day, and when oppertunitys arose in the united team he was over awed every time and blew it!

Most recently in the League cup in England against some second division team afaik he was staggeringly poor, and played off the park. (last season i think), and then his last apperance for Ireland...the guy couldn't even controll the ball, he literally kicked it to the opposition every time...the only way I imagine you could ever see a player do worse in the green jersey would be if you played Richard Dunne as a lone striker against Brazil in a world cup final.

McGeady should be in the squad...massively talented player in need of some confidence, and maybe a break from glasgow. The next Damien Duff imo.

Doyle is a quality player, but anyone who believes a EL player can be considerd a full international is ridiculos...there are some shocking players playing at the bottom half clubs, he needed to be proved at an acceptable level.

Also if you think EL and english championship are of a simular standard you are dillousional, only 3 eircom league teams would have a hope of surviving in that league.

I think these two comments show how much you actually know about the Irish team.............
    DubGuy wrote:
    McGeady should be in the squad...massively talented player in need of some confidence, and maybe a break from glasgow. The next Damien Duff imo.
    Yes, of course. He is taking the Scottish league by storm this year.

Miller's career post-Celtic may not have been all roses, but at least he has gained some experience, McGeady on the other hand has continued to come short of the hype that surrounded him.
    DubGuy wrote:
    Doyle is a quality player, but anyone who believes a EL player can be considerd a full international is ridiculos...there are some shocking players playing at the bottom half clubs, he needed to be proved at an acceptable level.
    Doyle was an EL player 4 months ago, but you are right "anyone who believes an EL player can be considerd a full international is ridiculos", to be honest if you are good enough it doesn't matter who you play for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

McGeady is 19, and he is a lot better at 19 than almost any player in there irish squad was at his age by a long way.

Liam Miller is muck, I'd much prefer Colin Healey was fit and in the squad becuase when he has played for us he's done great.

Breen is in the squad because he is reliable, has never had a bad game for Ireland, international football suits him as its played at a slower pace, I reckon that in Germany of spain he'd play a lot better than he plays in england.

Ginger Pelé is absolute muck, I'd rather Alan Lee as our "Target man/Ah **** what do I do now Chris?" option for Kerr, scores goals for Cardiff in the Championship on a regular basis and is about the same height as Doc, he can also play football, something Doc cant.

Dolye doesn't deserve to be in the squad, don't care who you are, how long you've had your LOI Supporters kit our what team you supporet 3 goals in the championship and a few for cork doesnt prove your worth, i'd rather throw Lee in ahead of him aswell.

I'd have liked to see Macken in the squad as well, holds the ball up very well and makes a lot of goals for other players and he will score goals.

The only young defender I'd rick in the squad is "maybe" Paul McShane, I've watched him play at every youth level for both Ireland and Man Yoo (FA youth cup caption at 17) and he is immense, not the tallest but deffiently the smartest young defender this country has seen for years, will be an Ireland captian.

The squad (besides 3 players in Miller, Doc and Doyle) is about right but Kerr will still balls it up somehow.

Seaneh wrote:
    McGeady is 19, and he is a lot better at 19 than almost any player in there irish squad was at his age by a long way.

Liam Miller is muck, I'd much prefer Colin Healey was fit and in the squad becuase when he has played for us he's done great.
    I'd probably prefer Colin Healy as well, but he is not fit. Miller really annoys me for Ireland, but we don't have many other viable options.

And for all the talk about how good McGeady is, he isn't capable of playing regularly for Celtic, in a league that according to most people (and probably everyone calling for his inclusion) is a load of crap.
    Seaneh wrote:
    Ginger Pelé is absolute muck, I'd rather Alan Lee as our "Target man/Ah **** what do I do now Chris?" option for Kerr, scores goals for Cardiff in the Championship on a regular basis and is about the same height as Doc, he can also play football, something Doc cant.
    Scores goals in the Championship on a regular basis? That's why it's almost a year since he scored one?

I don't know what you would consider "regular", but for me 13 goals in all competitions since 2002 is not "regular".
    Seaneh wrote:
    Dolye doesn't deserve to be in the squad, don't care who you are, how long you've had your LOI Supporters kit our what team you supporet 3 goals in the championship and a few for cork doesnt prove your worth, i'd rather throw Lee in ahead of him aswell.
    Doyle is being taken on for the ride nothing else, perhaps in the hope that this may at one stage prove it.

Similar to the way all the players you listed (Lee/McGeady/Macken) got a chance without really proving anything.

Can you remember Damien Duff at 19? No? Neither can I to be honest, I'd heard of him, seen him in the youth world cup, saw his golden goal, but didn't think to my self "wow thats an excaptionally talented young man" but the first time I saw McGeady play he really impressed me.
    He has played very well in big games for celtic, should have been man of the match against Milan.
    When a defender like Nesta pick himself of fthe ground and aplauds you after you've skined him you know your doing somehting right!
    He's raw but he has a spark and thats what Ireland are missing, can do a job on both wings, in the middle and up front so he gives a lot of options.
    I really wish Healey was fit!

Seaneh wrote:
    Can you remember Damien Duff at 19? No? Neither can I to be honest, I'd heard of him, seen him in the youth world cup, saw his golden goal, but didn't think to my self "wow thats an excaptionally talented young man"
    He had a full season of Premier League football under his belt at 19. And an impressive one too.

I think McGeady could be great for us, but he is not playing well, and I wouldn't like to see him thrown on at a crucial time in the hope that he can do something. It could work out detrimental for the team as well as his confidence.

Maybe he should be included in the squad for the experience, but he is not our saviour like some people seem to think.

• Advertisement

Saviour he is not, option he is!
    I hope he either starts playing at celtic of gets a loan for Championship (or EPL) team.
    I really hope he's in thw WC squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Seaneh wrote:
    Saviour he is not, option he is!
    I hope he either starts playing at celtic of gets a loan for Championship (or EPL) team.
    I really hope he's in thw WC squad.

All the McGaedy talk would not be taking place if Kerr had used friendlies properly. i.e. give new young players a decent run out rather than putting them on for 10mins.

I think these two comments show how much you actually know about the Irish team.............

Miller's career post-Celtic may not have been all roses, but at least he has gained some experience, McGeady on the other hand has continued to come short of the hype that surrounded him.

I never said he was on form, infact i insinuated the complete opposite. I said he needs confidece and a break from Glasgow. I would take talent over expierience any day of the week. It's funny how a player who has a dip in form all of a sudden isn't a great player...watch the tapes of him last season, and remember Duff didn't start to become in any way a top winger untill he was 22... and showed simular promise as McGeady at 19, if anything, McGeady is better than Duff was at that age...Duff is now one of the best wingers in the world....Im not saying McGeady will be, Im just putting it into perspective.

By the way...Liam who?
    Doyle was an EL player 4 months ago, but you are right "anyone who believes an EL player can be considerd a full international is ridiculos", to be honest if you are good enough it doesn't matter who you play for.

Em, I'm not saying he has changed with any significance in 4 months, Im saying it is unrealistic for any player to be considerd capable of internationl football against the likes of switzerland and cyprus when they're playing against the local butcher, who also plays in goals for Finn Harps every week.

It's not about being good enough, it about being proven to be good enough at a acceptable level.

I think these two comments show you should properly read and understand posts before you share your views.............. :rolleyes:

Seaneh wrote:
    The only young defender I'd rick in the squad is "maybe" Paul McShane, I've watched him play at every youth level for both Ireland and Man Yoo (FA youth cup caption at 17) and he is immense, not the tallest but deffiently the smartest young defender this country has seen for years, will be an Ireland captian.

100% agree with this. McShane will be in the squad probably after the world cup campaign in a freindly international at least. Glen Whelan is also a player to look out for. He is doing vey well for Sheffield Wednesday. Also a big player to look out for is a player called Anthony Stokes who is playing for Arsenal reserves at teh moment. He is only just turned seventeen and has played with Arsenal reserves at the young age of 15 and scored goals for them as well. He is very highly rated at Arsenal and continues to bang in the goals for them He has trained with the first team on a number of occasions and is Irelands real hope for a future goal scorer.

Also on mcGeady no way he should be in the squad. He has been terrible recently and cant getnear the celtic side so its beyond me why people want him in the squad. he has to do it at club level first!

Kingp35 wrote:
    Also on mcGeady no way he should be in the squad. He has been terrible recently and cant getnear the celtic side so its beyond me why people want him in the squad. he has to do it at club level first!

I agree that only players playing consistantly at club level should be in the squad, but unfortuanatly, it's not always a luxury afforded to the Irish first team, let alonesquad. It's more of a discussion between McGeady Vs Miller for a place in the squad. Miller wouldn't get into a championship team if he got a move in January. I can see him ending up in Leauge one in a season or two. He may make one or two more appearances for utd. in leauge cup fixtures possibly.

But we should have players in the squad who show promise for the future...and I think Millers career is pretty much over as far as top flight football is concerned. Also, it's not as if either of them would play, but it would be nice for McGeady to get comfortable in the Irish set-up at this stage, so he'll more comfortable and used to it when he starts playing in pressure qualifyers reguarly, probably in the next campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

McShane is an incredible prospect for United and Ireland.
    He has played absolutely amazing at Brighton and has two MOM preformances.
    He also got a goal for them aswell, so a threat in the air from a defender isn't a bad thing.

The guy also has a lot of moxy.
    He said he was thinking about not rejoining Man Utd cause he wants to play football all the time from now until the end of his career as he said it.
    He's gona go far

McShane has got the highest rating by the fans in 70-80% of Brightons games. This is from an Irish Leicester supporter at the game on Tuesday night:
    but it was McShane who really impressed,his reading of it was spot on and the positions he constantly took up made it as difficult as possible for the leiscetser midfielders to pick out their runners along the ground.he was solid in the air and as leicester pushed in the last 15 he seemed to clear everything.

he got forward too and looked comfortable in possession and from one set piece,leicester half-cleared it and brighton rebuilt the move over several passes but he stayed forward,drifting around the box causing problems as the leicester defence tried to reorganise,he eventually popped up at the near post for the cross and headed narrowly wide.a fine game from him.
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=358899&postcount=421

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    ...This is from an Irish Leicester supporter at the game on Tuesday night:....
    Yeah, but sometimes football supporters don't know what they're talking about....

*cough*
    Breen has been in fine form for West Ham this season and has played a big part in their great start to the season - he's in there on merrit alone.
    *cough*

:p

I'm sorry! I couldn't resist!! I can see that quote be posted again and again just like MOTD keep on showing Newcastle's Taylor Oscar winning performance after he ghandled the ball in his own box. ;)

B.

DubGuy wrote:
    I never said he was on form, infact i insinuated the complete opposite. I said he needs confidece and a break from Glasgow. I would take talent over expierience any day of the week. It's funny how a player who has a dip in form all of a sudden isn't a great player...watch the tapes of him last season, and remember Duff didn't start to become in any way a top winger untill he was 22... and showed simular promise as McGeady at 19, if anything, McGeady is better than Duff was at that age...Duff is now one of the best wingers in the world....Im not saying McGeady will be, Im just putting it into perspective.
    Putting it into perspective by saying that McGeady is better than Duff was at that age? Right.

Just to reiterate again, Duff had a full season of Premiership football under his belt at 19, and was a shining light in the underage set up. McGeady is having trouble shinning in the Scottish League this year.

Look, Im exited by the prospect of McGeady, and I think that it may not have been a bad idea to include him in the squad for experience, but I dont think it's a travesty that he has not been, even at the expense of other players who have and are hardly top notch.

Personally I think it would be better to leave McGeady at home knuckling down with Celtic in an attempt to get his form back rather than have him trek across Europe for no reason other than a bit of experience.
    DubGuy wrote:
    By the way...Liam who?
    Miller. Not my favourite player when in green, but if Alex Ferguson sees something in him I won't argue with his inclusion unless there are better and fit alternatives.
    DubGuy wrote:
    Em, I'm not saying he has changed with any significance in 4 months, Im saying it is unrealistic for any player to be considerd capable of internationl football against the likes of switzerland and cyprus when they're playing against the local butcher, who also plays in goals for Finn Harps every week.

It's not about being good enough, it about being proven to be good enough at a acceptable level.
    Yet you are harping for the inclusion of McGeady, who apart from a few flashy tricks last year has "proven" very little. So little so that he is having trouble making the bench for some of Celtic's games this year.

Scottish reserve team football, it may not be the local butcher but its hardly Thierry Henry.

/edit

As regards the hype surrounding young Irish players, I met a Sheffield Wednesday fan while on holiday and asked him was this Glen Whelan lad any use. He said he was all right but hardly anything to be raving about yet. I feel some of us really get carried away with how good some of our young players actually are.

As regards the hype surrounding young Irish players, I met a Sheffield Wednesday fan while on holiday and asked him was this Glen Whelan lad any use. He said he was all right but hardly anything to be raving about yet. I feel some of us really get carried away with how good some of our young players actually are.

I follow Championship football more than any other league at the moment and I have seen him play quite a bit. Ill admit he is no star but he is a solid player who has put in some average, good and very good performances for Wednesday. He is still only a young lad and if he continues to progress in the way he has he will definitely be ony for the future but the main two to look out for are McShane and Stokes. Stokes will be breaking through next season ans you will see him playing. Has the potential to be an excellent player and he is at an excellent academy with top class coaches at Arsenal which will do him no harm at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

MGeady has only played one game (and one a sub) for Celtic his season.. thats a real stormer. :eek:

you might was well call up Noel Hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

I hope Kilbane is on the bench for this game, want Holland to start maybe with Millar?, it seemed Roy was playing by himself in midfield during the last game.

Lee Carsley seems also to have played his last game for Ireland.

I hope Kilbane is on the bench for this game, want Holland to start maybe with Millar?,

Haha you obviosly havent read the rest of this thread. Miller to start? You must be joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I'd like to see Paul Butler back in the Irish squad, i know he had a nightmare with his previous international performances but he's in top form for Leeds at the moment and all last season and is even their captain. Surely he's a better option than Breen who has been utter pants since his return to the PremierLeague with Sunderland. Everytime i see Breen playing my heart starts skipping beats.

(Derek O Riordain from Hibs, is he Irish or Scottish?)

I'd like to see Paul Butler back in the Irish squad, i know he had a nightmare with his previous international performances but he's in top form for Leeds at the moment and all last season and is even their captain. Surely he's a better option than Breen who has been utter pants since his return to the PremierLeague with Sunderland. Everytime i see Breen playing my heart starts skipping beats.

Yeah Butler has been playing very well this season and last and he has been one of Leeds best players but he is 33 now and no spring chicken. He is totally focused on getting Leeds promoted so I doubt he will make himelf available at this late stage. He is a very good player and yes he is better than Breen but Ureland judged him on one nightmare game and left him out from then on. Its a pity because he really has been excellent over the last 2 seasons. I think his time for international football may have come and gone

• Advertisement
Advertisement