Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding channels to Sky Digibox

• 27-09-2005 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if there was a list of channels that I can add to my Sky digibox?
    I saw the sticky which has all the BBC channels but i was wondering if there were more, currently I have none added, is it possible to add channel 4?

The search is disabled so I cannot go back through previous post(if there have been)

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not really, it is only usefull for adding channels that don't need a card and are not on the EPG.

UTV, C4 and Five need a card.

I don't think there is anything else at the moment. Radio Caroline was on Other Channels for a While.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

ah ok, I forgot about FTA cards, Isee that there are a lot of foreign channels on 19.2(I think Astra whicg i think is about the same where the sky dish is pointing, according to websites), I was just hoping there were a few more English channels to add

Thanks for reply

Sky Digital UK /Ireland "Platform"/Digibox uses several Astra satellites at 28.2E of Greenwich line above Equator.

The "Astra" that has mostly non-English channels is a bunch of satellites at 19.2E.

So the Astra with the foriegn channels is a different place in the sky, There are lots of Astra satellites beloging to SES-Astra, some are at 23 or 24 degrees, 28.2 and 19.2. You would have to move the dish to tune any 19.2E channel.

The Sky box also receives Eurobird at 28.5 for some channels as well as several Astra Satellites. The "foriegn channels" on that Satellite are on a separate beam pointed at Central Europe. These need a 90cm dish and are too weak on a Sky Mini Dish.

SES-Astra in fact launched to 28.2 before Eutelsat's Eurobird and effectively pinched a position reserved for Central Europe (To meet contract for Sky). SES-Astra had to pay millions in compensation to Eutelsat and agreee that some of the frequencies would be handed to Eutelsat for rent to Sky on Eurobird and also for Central Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dave-lew99

Re Other Channels

I have a sky digibox with a dish pointed at Sirius to pick up IRN and although ive added the channel (box detected and picked it up no problem) i cannot view (well listen it is radio) as it says 'Insert Viewing Card' when i go to the other channels menu. I am using the new EPG (fancy colour scheme) i understand it would normally ask for a PIN at this screen as protection - however i do not have a viewing card (or indeed the PIN)

Any ideas on how i can get around this? Or downgrade the software installed on the box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I no less than nothing about all this satellite stuff, but i do like lots of TV :D . I have sky with all the channels they offer. Is there a way i can get more ?? The one i would really like is Channel 4, why dont we get that in ireland, or can i ??
    Thanks for any help :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I no less than nothing about all this satellite stuff, but i do like lots of TV :D . I have sky with all the channels they offer. Is there a way i can get more ?? The one i would really like is Channel 4, why dont we get that in ireland, or can i ??
    Thanks for any help :).

Read the thread above

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

dave-lew99 wrote:
    Re Other Channels

I have a sky digibox with a dish pointed at Sirius to pick up IRN and although ive added the channel (box detected and picked it up no problem) i cannot view (well listen it is radio) as it says 'Insert Viewing Card' when i go to the other channels menu. I am using the new EPG (fancy colour scheme) i understand it would normally ask for a PIN at this screen as protection - however i do not have a viewing card (or indeed the PIN)

Any ideas on how i can get around this? Or downgrade the software installed on the box?

You can't downgrade the software.
    Indeed PIN is related to viewing card and does not work otherwise.

Buy a real FTA or card slot box. About 100 Euro
    Occasionally Lidl.
    Maplin has good size dish, LNB and box for €164
    www.satellite.ieabout €90 for box. Also other bits

Or PC card €80

The Sky box is fairly useless for anything other than Sky. Though I did wire relays to SCART on/off and RGB control so as to switch between three satellites with Remote. Non-Sky satellite also tends to "crash" the sky box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dave-lew99

Unfortunatly additional expenditure isn't an option. The original FTA box is broken (still waiting on nokia getting back to me on a repair) and i was given a sky box by a friend and i am trying to get it to work.

I repaired a Nokia Media Master 9800 last week with a small blow torch... Honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Is there anybody who can help me with this?

Last night I added the channels FIVER and FIVE USA to my sky box using the following codes:

H
    2/3

But any time I select these channels to view them,all that comes up on the screen is:

"This programme is not available".

Does anybody know why this is happening?I would appreciate any suggestions ye might have.
    Many thanks in advance.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

Seasan wrote: »
    Is there anybody who can help me with this?

Last night I added the channels FIVER and FIVE USA to my sky box using the following codes:

H
    2/3

But any time I select these channels to view them,all that comes up on the screen is:

"This programme is not available".

Does anybody know why this is happening?I would appreciate any suggestions ye might have.
    Many thanks in advance.

to get these chnls you need a uk address card . wont get them here till. if ever, they go fta (hope ive got that right)

This is a over 5 year old thread!!!

Those are payTV encrypted channels. They also work on a misnamed "freesat-from-sky" card that is only leased to UK Adresses for £26 for unknown length of time.

So unless they are on a Sky EPG already and you have a suitable viewing card, they don't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Thanks for the replies,they do make sense.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

Was looking around for itv2 hd and found a channel called "Men and Movies" (not movies4men). It's the same old rubbish that's on the other B Movie channels but it led me to wonder what other channels (excluding the BBC and ITV variations) are available by adding channels?

Advertisement