Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Limerick stink?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been living in Limerick for over 3 years and I have also lived in Dublin and know Cork city very well. In Cork, the River Lee has a very distinct pong which can be sensed a good distance away, while the streets of Dublin have a very smog-ridden smell. Maybe my sense of smell is weak, but Limerick doesnt seem to have its own smell, which is a good thing, does lack some uniqueness.

So, does Limerick stink?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well the river doesnt! Its too far for seaweed and ... to big for a smell (i guess), parnell street kinda smells though ... Its ok around Luigi's though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

There's an awful smell of fish on the Dock Road...

moshpit77 wrote:
    There's an awful smell of fish on the Dock Road...

Yeah there around the docks ... hmmm.... I wonder why that is ?!?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ha ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I must say your right, the Liffey stink in dublin is strong but can't really associate anything with limerick. Maybe i've just been here too long to notice. There's probably a vague smell of pee or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Before i started coming to Limerick regularly I thought it smelt awfully of fast food burgers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

--Kaiser-- wrote:
    Before i started coming to Limerick regularly I thought it smelt awfully of fast food burgers...
    ya i think i remember it smelling like that to

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

By some calamaity of Geography i go to school in Tipperary Town. The smell of the creamary there is absolutely horrendous.

I can't say Limerick has a smell, but then the Shannon isn't as slow moving as the Liffey or the Lee

Well there u go, mystery solved... theres no time to stink up the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The main drainage is 99% operational, so there's far less raw sewage in the river now. Apparently it will become possible to swim in the Shannon again, though I assume it wil take several years for the full effects to be seen. While this may sound crazy, remember that Galway's water has been cleaned hugely in recent years due to a treatment plant for sewage.
    Back up to the 1960's I think there used to be an annual swim from Corbally to one of the boathouses, the river got too dirty to continue the practice so now the annual Christmas swim is held in a different stretch of the river. It would be great to see the old route revived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Its about time, that limerick main drainage crowd destroyed the place with their un-natural amount of roadworks and their digging holes all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

smelly greasy food smells - esp. William St.
    smoke (from chimney) in some housing estates. It's just odd-as in Dublin suburbs, the vast majority use oil or gas. I miss that smell:)

Its about time, that limerick main drainage crowd destroyed the place with their un-natural amount of roadworks and their digging holes all over the place
    yeah... that was really weird... and the esb seemed to follow them! Every road that was dug up was revisited a month later for brandband

Advertisement