Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Complicated Haunting

• 24-09-2005 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Well I had always believed in hauntings, ghosts, life after death etc.. But recently after starting college, I've had near first hand experience in this sort of thing. Let me explain...

Well my girlfriend also started college, and moved into a 6 bedroom house with 5 more female friends of hers (it's amazing for a student house, has a sauna, two lounges, massive kitchen) This house is quite close to my house, so naturally I frequent between the two.
    Anyway the first night they spent in the house (three weeks ago now) they all noticed a clearly formed cloud hovering over one of the girls beds. My girlfriend then used her high definition mobile phone to record a video of the cloud over the bed. So from day one they noticed very very strange things happening in house..
    My girlfriend had mentioned that she had seen a couple of strange shapes around the house as well, but never in much detail until yesterday on the bus home. She said that while looking in the mirror yesterday morning she saw a glimpse of a figure. The same figure she then admitted to seeing atleast once or twice a week since they moved into the house; well built man, all dressed in white with a black thing around his neck (not a collar or shirt, just a black thing, she isn't sure what it is). She then mentioned this to one of her housemates, and that housemate also admitted to catching the exact same figure in the corner of her eye a number of times also.
    Now here is the part that gets confusing, NONE of the girls will talk about the cloud they saw on the first night, they are in complete denial about it - to the point where they deleted the video. In fact, 3 out of the 5 housemates do not know about the other two seeing the same figure around the house. My girlfriend won't even talk to the other girl who saw the figure about it anymore, for fear that she'll get upset since she sleeps on the bottom floor on her own.
    Hence my girlfriend is trying to normalise the whole situation, saying that she feels comforted by the presence of the ghost around the house (this girl freaks out at watching the trailer of the ring) She's really just afraid of telling her housemates in case they get upset. And she's afraid of telling her mother in case she laughs at her...

Now to finish up (very sorry about the length of this..) but I've a close friend who's a priest and he is also very good friends with all the girls in the house..should I ask him what he believes we should do? I mean, where do I go from here? This surely isn't a normal situation, like the girls are pretending it is..?..

Any advice would be so welcome, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Its hard to say. The fact that she is not trying to get freaked out about it might come down to thinking along the lines of "that which we fear etc".
    After having considerable experiences with the energy in the house maybe the girls have just become familiar with it and it becomes "normal.
    I read another post here in this fourm by mysteria who claims to be a "ghostbuster" of sorts, these folk just love telling spirits to go home and can give a history of the haunting.
    Maybe if we all sing the ghostbuster song, she will magically appear here in the forum and offer her services.

Now me personally..I would just get the priest in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

solas wrote:
    Its hard to say. The fact that she is not trying to get freaked out about it might come down to thinking along the lines of "that which we fear etc".
    After having considerable experiences with the energy in the house maybe the girls have just become familiar with it and it becomes "normal.

Well see they're not familiar with it, hell 3 of the girls don't even know the other 2 have seen the same guy.. I mean the other 3 could have had easily seen something strange, and shrugged it off for obvious reasons.. (saying this, EVERYONE in the house saw the cloud above the bed the very first day, but have *completely* "forgotten" about it now..)

I mean so far he's been nothing but curious from what the my girlfriend says, just has been watching them..
    Oh by the way, don't know if this is an urban myth, but does the presence of the ghost means he is an ex-occupant of the house? And further more, that he could/definitely have died in tragic circumstances? (From past stories, even from my mother, I have been lead to believe that one who commits suicide/murdered tragically is usually trapped in a ghost like state to walk the earth..)..

As you may have noticed, neither the girls nor I, have much experience with this sort of thing..

you would have to wonder what causes something to just stick around and observe.
    anyway..
    typically it is thought that suicide/murder prevents spirit from moving on, but I don't think it is exclusive to just that category.

Talking in terms of earthbound spirit is a lot for many to take in or even consider.
    I had a dream a couple of years ago which helped me understand it better in terms of energy, thought it might help others understand it too.

[dream]I was sharing a house with three other people, they had the front room of the house and I had the back room. In the middle was a common room which we all shared,to watch tv etc.
    Their room seemed much warmer, comfortable and modern while my room was cold distant and old fashioned, typically it felt haunted. I could feel a presense in the house, yet the others couldn't. I knew something had happened there and the place was haunted but I couldn't get the others to pick up on it.
    In the common room there was a spot on the ground and I couldn't walk over it, I felt something had happened there but my flatmates didn't recognise it and could enjoy themselves watching tv or whatever.
    So one night I'm in my back room laying in bed trying to go asleep but I couldn't because I was afraid. Then my eyesight changed and it was as if I were wearing night vision goggles except everything was blue. Once I had these goggles on I could see the energy in the room and what happened next revelead the story behind the presence.

I saw two men enter the room (common room) they were fighting, I think one was the previous owner and the other someone who he knew but there was a dispute. In the proceeding tussle, one man pulled a knife and stabbed the other, who immediately fell to the ground in a pool of blood, on the same spot coincidently which I could not walk over.
    The other man fled, through my room and out the back window (which was a door originally).

So I sat there and watched all this as an observer. I was aware that what I was watching had happened in the past but the energy had been imprinted and everynight the situation would repeat over and over, like a record replaying old memories. They (spirit) weren't interactive, they weren't aware so to speak..they were just like memories caught on video.
    I figured there had to be someway to stop te memories from playing over and over and thought to call in some psychics who could clear it. The signature energies appeared like mercury (when not looking through night vision goggles) in the sense that if you were to woosh your hands through it to break it up, it would instantly reform and pool itself together and unfortunately thats what the psychics were doing. They would woosh their hands/wands around in teh air saying some words in an effort to clear and after it had been cleared they would walk away all content that the job was done, but once they were out the door it would just reform like mercury and the pattern would begin to repeat itself again.

So after several psychics had come and gone I got the priest in. His presence alone was enough to release the pattern, instead of wooshing a magic wand through it, the energy reacted differently and changed in form, from mercury to something like golden dust and it twinkled and sparkled and floated upwards until there was nothing left.[/dream]

so..the moral of the story is, earthbound spirit are just like residual energies, memories or an imprint of the past. Those who are sensitive enough can be influenced by this energy, like walking through a cobweb and may get a chance to experience those memories, but once you are aware that is all they are you can either avoid them (ignore them as your girlfriend is doing) or have them erased. (get the ghostbusters/priest in)

I have come across several instances of earthbound energies, some have been suicide or murder, others have been memories from abusive situations. It could be many things.

I'm hoping mysteria will have something to add, you could also try contacing her through PM, she might be able to assist.

[apologies for making it so long]

just wanted to add, the description of the energy doesn't sound particularly malignant, the property could have been built on ground where a monastery or hospital once stood, or maybe it was the former parish priests place of residence. That might account for the description of the "spirit" and its actions.
    Y'know how priests like to watch over their flock..

*take that any way you like

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

hada wrote:
    I
    Oh by the way, don't know if this is an urban myth, but does the presence of the ghost means he is an ex-occupant of the house? And further more, that he could/definitely have died in tragic circumstances? (From past stories, even from my mother, I have been lead to believe that one who commits suicide/murdered tragically is usually trapped in a ghost like state to walk the earth..)..
    Im not a ghostbuster :p or a priest, but heres my 2c...
    He could be an ex occupant, that can be very likely, but ghosts can link to people too. There may not have been tragic circumstances with his death, he may have been unhappy in life, and be unable to let go, or you might have a spirit who just liked living there and is content to stay around. Suicides dont necessarily get trapped as ghosts, (what an awful thought for their families) my opinion is whether you go on or not has more to do with whether you 'want' to leave your earthly life behind, or whether you feel theres unfinished stuff here for you.

This kind of thing has a funny effect on rational people. None of us want to be thought of as cracked, and that could be why the girls are ignoring the whole situation. Theres also the possibility that talking about it will just make them more scared, by making it more 'real'. If it helps, have the house blessed, it will provide reassurance at least. And after that if your gf isnt bothered about it, just look on it as one more benign occupant of the house. Ive found most houses with any kind of past carry a residue of some kind anyway, and we all live with it without noticing :)

I just had to mention your initial description of the house makes it sound like the one in the carlsberg add - full of girls and a sauna :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

hada wrote:
    Hence my girlfriend is trying to normalise the whole situation, saying that she feels comforted by the presence of the ghost around the house (this girl freaks out at watching the trailer of the ring) She's really just afraid of telling her housemates in case they get upset.
    Is it possible that maybe she actually is ok with the presence now that she has got used to it and realises that it has no malice towards them ? There have been a couple of mentions on the board before of people living in a house with 'someone else' and not really minding it. If she does want to do something about it she should really try talking about it with the other house mates, it's possible they've all seen things and are all too afraid/embarrassed to mention it. It should be fairly easy to bring the topic up in an innocous kind of way and then gauging the results of the others. Or I suppose she could just arrange for a priest to visit sometime when all the others will be away at lectures or gone home for the weekend or something.
    solas wrote:
    I would like to discuss the topic in more detail if anyone is up for it. (earthbound, spirit, soul etc)
    Good idea, new thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Am with you on the name echos KittyKat, its one I use myself, earthbound would be a name I would put on conscious spirits who are for reasons are unable to move on, unfinished business etc or they just like the place they are in. I know I wont be in too much of a rush to move on, I enjoy people watching too much.

And Steven, have to agree with you too, maybe they are aware of the pressence and are just comfortable with it, if he is a previous tenant and is not causing any problems why shouldn’t he be welcome to stay.

I'd like to know more about this but I understand details cant be put on here, but if you want to pm me we can chat and I may have some advice, I'd even be open to having a look and seeing what I pick up or chatting with you and your girlfriend.

Anyway, either way I hope it all works out and that everyone (living and past) can get on and not cause any unpleasantries.

6th

Good idea, new thread ?
    yep..I split the thread up to open the conversation up, hope thats ok with ervyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

hey the last two bits of my post were directed towards Hada, but i just copied and pasted them back .... grrrrr!

Hada, I'd like to know more about this but I understand details cant be put on here, but if you want to pm me we can chat and I may have some advice, I'd even be open to having a look and seeing what I pick up or chatting with you and your girlfriend.

Anyway, either way I hope it all works out and that everyone (living and past) can get on and not cause any unpleasantries.

6th

dub wrote:
    hey the last two bits of my post were directed towards Hada, but i just copied and pasted them back .... grrrrr!
    oops..I can put them back for you if you want. :)

*sorry bout that..boards as a bit slow earlier, made splitting a painful process. I'll fix it up now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ask your friend to bless the house while the other girls are out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

Just wondering where the location of the house is? In terms of county city etc? Its sometimes possible that people that have passed over dont know that they are dead and need to be realised of that fact, I think something should be done in this regard, although if the other occupants of the house are in denial this may prove difficult:rolleyes:

Advertisement