Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twisted cable

Options
  • 12-09-1999 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

ppl are tellin me to connect 2 pcs directly with cat5 u need to twist some wires in the cable.... can u do it manually or do u have to buy it/ where can i get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

are you talking about peer to peer connection?
    cat5 (or catagory 5) wire is a 10 base t wire that allows 100mbps speed for lans.
    tis already twisted so all you need is the cat5 stamp on the wire. jujst make sure its not over 100 meters in length

oh, and make sure its shielded to stop signals from cables getting mixed or crosstalked!
    white(who is reading the manual then?)wash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

i think if its too long you might have to crimp it.

this is a bit of a fiddly process which involves stripping some of the cable and fitting each of the little coloured wires into their respective slots in the connector (thing that looks like a big phone jack). This is really tricky as you need to get it right first time.

Its like defusing a bomb, "cut the red wire, NO, the OTHER red wire!" smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Your going to need a crossover cable as opposed to a straight-thru (unless your cards can auto-sense (doubtful) you can make one up if you have a crimper & some r45's (wiring diagrams on the net (go search) or get one made up. Fairly cheap !.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

yep thats it, thanks Yum smile.gif

Advertisement