Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BB Product Question

• 27-09-2005 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Ok as you know Esat are almost impossible to get throguh to at the moment so Im hoping you guys can help me.
    Swapping over to Esat for both Phone and BB use!coming from eircom.
    Im going for the Talk + with Broadband + package 2MB dload 128 upload.
    Esat DO NOT provide Static IP address for residential users, SOOOOOoo Im wondering what is the nxt step up from the ESAT BT package Im chosing that provides a static IP.
    I know about the dynamicIP software stuff thats out there but Im not interested in that.
    Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I recommend NTL Broadband if you're looking for a static IP. I have it and my IP hasn't changed since I got it 7 months ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Esat DO NOT provide Static IP address for residential users, SOOOOOoo Im wondering what is the nxt step up from the ESAT BT package Im chosing that provides a static IP.

But they do for Business customers for 45e per month, also 1MB/256K & uncapped.

So get that, unbundle the line so its data only and you don't pay eircom a penny and use a VoIP provider for your phone service like skytel.ie, broadtalk.ie or blueface.ie ;)
    :p

55e per month for Voice+Data not bad really...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kevpatts

I still recommend NTL. I have a 3Mb/s connection that actually runs at 3Mb/s, all the time! Also, they use some nice features that mean if you use a decent router behind the modem, (like my Linksys WRT54G), you can use port forwarding to remotely connect into your local network.

Very few ISP allow this. and no need to change your Phonewatch box or have a phone line at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kevpatts wrote:
    (like my Linksys WRT54G), you can use port forwarding to remotely connect into your local network.
    Very few ISP allow this.

All perfectly do-able without any issues on a BT Business line :)

Advertisement