Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemptions from Irish

Options
  • 27-09-2005 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me or link me to a publication on the reasons you can get exempted from the Irish Exams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Can anyone tell me or link me to a publication on the reasons you can get exempted from the Irish Exams.

It's been a few years, but the only people who got out of doing Irish in my school were the kids who had moved to Ireland from abroad and didn't know any Irish, and a guy who was dyslexic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I don't have a link, but in my school, it was foreigners and dyslexics.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

im pretty sure that if u dont have an irish passport you dont have to take irish for the leaving cert but you have to do it in school. and if u come over to ireland before ur 10 u have to do irish.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fiendish Freddy

I think as long as you are Irish you should have to do Irish, the language is very slowly dying out, give it a go you will feel better for it. Take foundation if you have to.
    Up until left school my Irish was okay, i could hold a conversation, nowadays i would be lucky to be able to ready a full passage and it does irritate me in a a way, i think especially being an island nation we should still be using Irish as our first language and still have our booming celtic penguin but thats just idealistic.

Anyways, go n'eiri an ta libh...
    and er... keep it old skool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Irish is officialy our first language, but they tried so hard for it to actually be our first language its had the opposite effect. Damn Anglicisation. However, I fully believe there's some sort of resurrection going on with the language

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think the problem with Irish is it's taught completely the wrong way. I mean, I'd done Irish for 14 years and I still had problems being able to talk fluently in my oral last year. And I was in higher level! They need more emphasis on speaking it and enjoying the language. Also, while it's officially our first language, I doubt there is anyone in Ireland who can speak Irish but not English. It is a shame, because it is a beautiful language

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

My teacher was telling me up until the 70's there were people coming to Dublin or going to London who hadn't a word of English. That seems unimaginable today, no-one is brought up without English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

yah i got the exception from irish cus i have a learning difficulty i go resource teachers instead of irish! i did irish for the junior cert but i got sick of it in 5th year and had to drop and also if i still did i wud have to go to resource teachers after skool and did wud be ****

Advertisement