Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card for Battlefield 2?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Battlefield looks great and ive decided i cant be without it any longer so im gonna spring for a new graphics card. Question is, which one?

i dont really wanna spend much more than 250 euros and if i could get one for around 200 that would be ideal.

My spec at the moment is P4 2.53Ghz, 1gig ram, 2x 120gb hard drives, and an AGP geforce ti 4200 (I dont have a PCI-E slot). I think my mother board is only agp 4x.

i was lookin at this one: Club3D Radeon X800Pro 256MB
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=310395&cks=PRL
    will it do the trick?
    do i need to spend more in order to play the game with a decent frame rate and half decent graphics?

also im runnin win2k at the moment, does the game play at all on win2k or must I upgrade to XP? I assume i can set up a dual boot so i can keep Win2k?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That x800pro can run the game with all options on.

Believe it or not, with a certain patch, you can also play on the Ti4200..... ;)

You'll also need WinXP to play unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

ok cool, thanks for the quick reply.

if i was to go seriously down in budget would it still be playable?
    say a Sapphire Radeon X700 256MB for 127euros?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308794&cks=PRL

I would like to minimise my spending on it because i dont really play games much on the pc much anymore. ive had to wean myself off it because i get badly hooked, ive been a complete command and conquer/quake/doom/unreal tournament junkie in the past.

Yeah it would still do the job grand, might not be as future proof, but if looking for a decent card that'll do the job with current games that'll do nicely.

I have a 128mb x800, and it runs battlefield 2 with full options on bar maybe 2x instead of 4x AA.

If you are looking for something to play games decently with and aren't really bothered, its a good option.

I also suggest you browse the FS forum here, you might pick up a 9800Pro for less then €100 and it will still run BF2 pretty damn well.

Although if you have the money that x800 is a fantastic card.....wish I had the money to afford it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

9800 pro?!!!

I actually have that card but my brother borrowed (robbed) it on me and left me with his piece of crap 4200 so he could play Doom III. I think I'll have to rob it back....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I play this game for about 6 hours every weekend on my 9600 and it plays fine on medium graphics. I picked it up for 70 quid a good few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I run in 1024x768 on a 9700 Pro, everything medium and no AA, at 35+ FPS, which is plenty for online play. CPU is AMD64 3000+.

At this stage, and much to mirror points made by FuzzyLogic with his 9600/512 system, Ping/Lag will affect gameplay more than resolution/eye candy.

I was running on 512 RAM until recently, just added another 512 and the only difference of note is load times.

So get that 9800 Pro back and don't spend a penny ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've just bought a Radeon X800XT Pro so hopefully that will do.

Considering that was not the one I wanted but 'they' didn't have the one I wanted so I had to go with this one, it better be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Pongo

I think my mother board is only agp 4x.

Think that might be a problem right there with a high end card... I'm not sure, but maybe pop over to the Computers forum and ask for advice there before you splash out on a new card. Not sure what effect running a card designed for AGP 8x would have on performance...

Advertisement