Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned user system - slight change?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

In light of all the "Why am I banned from X because I did nothing blah blah blah" threads, I wonder if a slight change to the banned user page is in order.

If the user is unable to access the forum because they have been banned from it (as opposed to simply not having any access - is there a distinction made here?), perhaps a series of links naming the forum mods could be displayed along with the message, clicking the name of one going straight to the Post PM page, name and subject filled out.

Otherwise, or perhaps in addition, if the forum has a charter a link could be added to this to so that they will still be able to see the rules of the forum.

Comments?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Wow, an attempt to make it idiot proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Certainly worth a look IMO. Merc's idea is good, though from time to time I ban people purely to get their attention, so auto-PM would negate that, since I unban them as soon as they PM me. It's the difference between simply scolding the guy or grabbing him by the ear and saying "Here listen to me you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yeah, thats pretty good too, and simplier to write as well, I guess (really seems like an extension of post reporting).

But then, I was going by the current system, not making my own one up :p

• Advertisement

Well, or course.
    In saying that ban can be extened for annoying feed back post. lets not restrict the intent. it still does not negate a lot of it being simply automated.
    I guess. It couldn't be that hard to stick in a tickbox for "PM User to tell them they've been banned".

In reality though, that particular automation is just removing one step. As it is, we're already presented with the option to PM/email the user when we ban them. How lazy are we? :)

I fully see the intent of your suggestion, but if PMing the user to notify them of a ban is automated, then you get double the volume of bannees posting on feedback asking "why?". Their right-of-reply would be removed. :)

seamus wrote:
    if PMing the user to notify them of a ban is automated, then you get double the volume of bannees posting on feedback asking "why?". Their right-of-reply would be removed.

Not if the ban button took into account the post they were being banned because of, and who was doing the banning. The PM could be sent automagically from the banner to the bannee, citing the post. These banned people seem to like to hit buttons that let them write things, and the Reply button on the PM window would be right there :)

Of course, if the bannee had a history of muppetry on the forum, this would reduce the post they were banned on as the "post that broke the mods back", but I guess thats often the case anyway...

Would the banner still not have to type something then?

:)

No real problem, but as I said above, the banner will have to type something at some point. If a timed ban system was coded for mods, then the banner should also know the exact time of unbanning, and can type that in himself.

Ultimately, I'm just saying that it's extra work for someone to code a system that's just automating something that doesn't take very long anyway.

But if someone wanted to write it.....great. I'm all for features.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

afaik if your banned from a forum you see the no privileges page, right?
    and ive pm'd amp and no unban from TCN, im not even sure if im on a timed ban :(
    its because im stupid.

You posted in the "Post here to get banned forever" thread, right? So you'll be let back in right after the universe collapses in on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You posted in the "Post here to get banned forever" thread, right? So you'll be let back in right after the universe collapses in on itself.

yeah thats it, im waiting for the day.

Sparky, bring it up on Feedback again, and by God I'll ban you from here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That gives me an idea Seamus, cheers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sparky_S wrote:
    ive pm'd amp and no unban from TCN, im not even sure if im on a timed ban :(
    its because im stupid.
    I thought that you'd be trying to bury that story by this stage. Still gives me a laugh though :)

Advertisement