Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downloads not completing properly

• 27-09-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

having problems with downloads. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

When i try to download large demos such as call of duty 2 demo the browser seems to give the impression that the entire program downloads but what actually arrives on the file system is only a partial file, usually less then 15% of the file. i tried to download call of duty twice today and ended up with only a 114 meg file... even though it should have been a 672 meg file and the browser indicated the full 100% was downloaded

I'm on eircom 2 meg with the netopia router and ie7 although this was happening with ie6 too however don't think this is the issue since the dslstats normally record the full amount taken off the download allowance.

Just wondering if anyone had or solved this problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you're best off using a download manager for really large files. IE jsut can't handle them.

Getright is what i've used. http://www.getright.com/

I'm sure others will recommend other progs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭DnaDog

download firefox www.getfirefox.com

its much better than ie and can handle large downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

thanks guys, i have firefox ( just not a fan ) and opera ( do like ) too so I'll try them.
    I use ie at work to download sometimes very large files ( 3-4gig ) with no issues also one of the guys in the house has ie7 too and sometimes we have to do the downloading on his machine so i dont think its exactly an ie issue. Often I've tried downloading a large file and its failed and if he trys it on his machine theres no probem...

machines due a rebuild anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

irlrobins wrote:
    you're best off using a download manager for really large files. IE jsut can't handle them.

Getright is what i've used. http://www.getright.com/

I'm sure others will recommend other progs as well.

any issues using that with fileshack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

any issues using that with fileshack?

fileshack does not support any flashget or other file downloading programmes !! its in the TAC !

Fileshack Quotes:-

"Do not use a download manager! Your download will not work! If you have any troubles getting your download to start, have a look at the download FAQ, it will solve 99% of your problems. Make sure to try a few different cities to find the location that is fastest for you. Want access to the Mercury servers? Go sign up!"

I use Firefox with it and it works fine !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Also http://www.freedownloadmanager.com

Really good and nice interface.

Download managers should generally work if you don't try to open up multiple connections. Resuming downloads however will probably fall afoul of their queueing systems.

Frankly I can't stand those file sharing companies who make a living selling other companies *promotional material* like game demos. I would search through torrents for those enterprising souls who get dirty with those services and redistribute it for normal people.

Advertisement