Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just read...

Options
  • 08-09-2001 4:46pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

V for Vendetta

Quality

That is all.
    (please forgive my playing with the new vBulletin tags - seemed as good a place as any)

I also got Frank Miller's Sin City: To Hell and Back.

Also excellent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

i have to disagree. "V for Vendetta" is a poor and clichéd comic by any standard. Its depiction of a fascist Britian strikes me as trite obseveration on Tharcher's politics and the nuclear holocast is itself completely unbelievable. Why would anyone want to nuke Africa and how would London survive. That said the hero V is quite intresting but can't make up for some very serious flaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Alan Moore has often said that he got the mechanics of nuclear winter wrong when he first wrote the story. The point is that the holocaust is but a backround to the story, the main focus should be on the story itself, which is fantastic. I read it first when i was 14, and was blown away by it.

Plus- you have to remember that the book was written during a period in the 80's when Thatchers government was proposing internment camps for black and homosexuals. Its not a tripe observation really, it was a tripe government..

Glad you liked V, Kharn, did you like Watchmen..

I used the word trite not tripe(one meaning frayed or worn out by use and the other meaning Something of no value; rubbish bit of a difference don't u think?)and i was simply saying that the STORY itself is well executed and highly readable but THATS IT. As a comment on the newly installed Thacter goverment it dosen't work for me. All in all I think it didn't gel properly and, in MY opinion, was a rather poor vision of a dystopian future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Not arguing with you, just disagreeing :). Sarcasm over a misunderstood word not necessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok,

I haven't read this but I would definitely be intereseted.

Without spoilers, anyone got any information on the story/genre

spy/thriller?superhero?Dark future? Cyberpunk? etc etc etc?

deco: in what way was it trite? (if you're going to give away plot stuff, put a spoiler warning). It's ok to state an opinion, but please, could you give some reason as to why you came to that conclusion?

Plastic: the correction was valid (and I don't think it was all that sarcy), however, "tripe government"... actually seems to fit quite well :)

me interested in reading this one now.

I've read watchmen, that was excellent! tell me, what is this "to hell and back" of which you speak?

• Advertisement

If your looking for some light entertainment in the sphere of dark dysutopian futures you might be intrested. It does have its moments and V the main character is well drawn out and intresting. My comments merely suggested that the book is light weight as regards the future it envisions. It ain't Orwell by a long shot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 spider45646

Watchmen is excellent, as is most of alan moore's work. Highly recommended is big numbers or marvelman/miracleman if you can find copies around. miracleman is an incredible deconstruction of the superhero mythos "what if i didn't get powers from a freak accident or asteroid and was deliberatly given it without my knowledge".

Anyone read akira? is it worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I read Akira in parts on a monthly anime mag. Not the film akira, I missed *a lot* of it as it is quite a huge story.

From what I read, it gets very militant with rebels and evil government (tetsuo doesn't turn into the blob but becomes a dictator and starts trying to create more mentalists like himself).

I never got to read the whole thing, but it's one I intend to look out for.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by LoLth
    I haven't read this but I would definitely be intereseted.
    I have it - remind me to give it to you next weekend.

Advertisement