Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using REGEXP in MySQL

Options
  • 27-09-2005 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭

I am trying to use REGEXP in MySql to select specific rows in a table.

My table contains a list of Dublin Bus timetables (for my BusSched app) with the route number as a unique column.
    I've read the Selecting Particular Rows page of the MySql docs and experimented.

I have something working but it incorrectly matches more rows than it should.
    SELECT route,tbl.from,tbl.to FROM tbl WHERE route REGEXP '^237|37|84$'
    This matches 237, 37, 37X and 84. The 37X route is not wanted.

If I change the regexp to '^37|84|237$' it matches 237, 37, 37X, 84 and 84X. The 'X' routes are not wanted.

How to I exclude the routes that I don't want?
    My SELECT statement will list the routes I want to match, and only them.

I realise that I could expand the statement e.g. "route='37' OR route='84' OR route='237'" but REGEXP is nice and concise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not familiar with SQL regexp, but is it possible to change it to
    '^[237|37|84]$'
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

seamus wrote:
    I'm not familiar with SQL regexp, but is it possible to change it to
    '^[237|37|84]$'
    ?
    That is what I first tried but got the empty set returned. I didn't try using round brackets i.e. '^(237|37|84)$', and can't right now as the db is on my home computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quick test with a dummy DB and sample data says that yes, round brackets as you've said will do the trick. Only returned the three routes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

seamus wrote:
    Quick test with a dummy DB and sample data says that yes, round brackets as you've said will do the trick. Only returned the three routes for me.
    Cool, thanks.
    A few mins ago I found the MySQL page with regex examples and it shows round brackets.

Advertisement