Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Magic Mushrooms Legal?' thread locked & users banned

Options
  • 27-09-2005 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I just noticed that the 'Magic Mushrooms Legal?' thread has been locked and one or two members banned as a result, and I was wondering why.

The mushrooms are legal to buy, they're sold in shops, they grow in the ground we walk on... Yet a member was banned for asking (or telling, not sure) where to buy some. Why was he banned? The moderator (Giblet, I think) asked not to talk about purchasing the mushrooms, but as far as I can see he has no grounds for that. They're legal, what's the big problem? If the user was banned for "disobeying" a moderator or something, then that is ridiculous and total abuse of power.

There would be no talk of this if it were alcohol or cigarettes, so it seems hypocritical to me. The law is flawed and left a loop-hole -- that is the fact, and hence why shops can sell fresh mushrooms legally. So as far as I'm concerned, fresh mushrooms are as legal as daisies.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, and the thread be reopened, with the users unbanned.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No it's not a total abuse of power. Check EVERY mushrooms thread to see this rules being enforced. I wasn't aware that the sale of mushrooms was taxed by the government. Are they in the 13.5% bracket or the 21%

I suggest you read up on the laws before making assumptions.

http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&con=321

They are not classified by the law yet so they are not legal or illegal (although you can be done for them if your intent is made clear), but feel free to discuss the laws on the discussions of shrooms on boards.ie with the admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

"As far as I'm concerned" doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hi,

I just noticed that the 'Magic Mushrooms Legal?' thread has been locked and one or two members banned as a result, and I was wondering why.

The mushrooms are legal to buy, they're sold in shops, they grow in the ground we walk on... Yet a member was banned for asking (or telling, not sure) where to buy some. Why was he banned? The moderator (Giblet, I think) asked not to talk about purchasing the mushrooms, but as far as I can see he has no grounds for that. They're legal, what's the big problem? If the user was banned for "disobeying" a moderator or something, then that is ridiculous and total abuse of power.

There would be no talk of this if it were alcohol or cigarettes, so it seems hypocritical to me. The law is flawed and left a loop-hole -- that is the fact, and hence why shops can sell fresh mushrooms legally. So as far as I'm concerned, fresh mushrooms are as legal as daisies.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, and the thread be reopened, with the users unbanned.

Thanks.

the light is shed on a nother thread.
    perhaps you should read it first.

thanks for the insight, the input and the observations, but your opinion does not dictate what this site does and does not allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

will this topic ever go away, bloodbath got banned for asking where to acquire said drugs and zieghail who is bloodbath got banned for being bloodbath. oh and chucky the tree aswell, but they are week bans afaik except zieghail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Giblet wrote:
    No it's not a total abuse of power. Check EVERY mushrooms thread to see this rules being enforced. I wasn't aware that the sale of mushrooms was taxed by the government. Are they in the 13.5% bracket or the 21%
    0% VAT on vegetables http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/info19_01.pdf
    They are not classified by the law yet so they are not legal or illegal.
    How can something be neither legal nor illegal?

The Misuse of Drugs Act, 1977 lists psilocin as a controlled drug. Psilocin is a constituent of magic mushrooms. The act outlaws the substance itself and products and preparations derived from the substance, but doesn't mention what happens if the substance occurs naturally in a plant.

The act and its later amendments specify that possession of certain plants such as opium poppy, cannabis and coca plant is illegal. No reference is made to mushrooms.

The law does not outlaw all psychoactive substances other than alcohol and fags. This simpler approach would mean you couldn't sell petrol or glue or- my drug of choice - Glade (Tropical Mist).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Zaph0d wrote:
    How can something be neither legal nor illegal?
    Like this, tbh ::
    The Misuse of Drugs Act, 1977 lists psilocin as a controlled drug. Psilocin is a constituent of magic mushrooms. The act outlaws the substance itself and products and preparations derived from the substance, but doesn't mention what happens if the substance occurs naturally in a plant.
    I'd absolutely love for a free and open discussion of magic mushrooms, but even aside from the posible legal implications it has been stated again and again what the rules of this (non democratic) forum are in relation to the subject. Fair warning was given and the thread was allowed to continue so long as the rules were adheared to - but they weren't. Stop whining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's been debated before. If you want to buy/find these things there are plenty of other places to find out. As Goodshape outlines, the law is beautifully subtle shade of grey on the area. In this case, boards.ie isn't interested in being a crusader on the issue, and so would prefer to avoid any kind of legal case against it.*

*At some point soon, if they're not made illegal, someone will bring a test case against a supplier for selling to their kids. If boards.ie was making the information available, it's possible it could be dragged into a test case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Exactly its just bitch bitch bitch lately by noobs , if your banned right your banned for a bloody good reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

this site is owned by a group of lads, it belongs to them.
    If they wish to close threads such as this, they can.
    end of discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement