Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network setup ok - but not detected?

• 28-09-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have just setup my eircom wireless router (used the CD so it was all set up for me) and the connection is working fine (i'm on my home PC now connecting thriugh a network cable and its fine) the network link light is on the router but when i boot up my laptop it does not detect any available wireless networks in range (i'm sitting beside it) have i missed a step? or what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

does you laptop accept b/g wireless connections, im not sure what the netopia router uses if its either b or g or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

My laptop will accept a/b/g wireless connections and i think the wireless router will transmit on the g network? i don't have to install anything on m,y laptop do i? it should just detect and then connect shouldn't it :confused: ?

yeah the laptop should detect a network by itself, what make is the wireless card?
    is it inbuilt into the laptop or is it a cardbus card?

its inbuilt came with my Dell Inspiron i only bought it 3-4weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Depend on what your System is.

I have a Dell 6000 and what I have to do is press (fn) button and F2 together to turn on the wireless card INSIDE the Laptop, try to see if there is a function like that on ur lappy.

Another point is what S\W are u using the Dell supplied one or the inbuilt Microsoft one, as there are conflicts with these

• Advertisement

yeah there should be a small green animated icon that goes between blue to yellow (which means it found a network) and green (which means connected), i think windows takes over the role as standard but the intel settings are better, also is your network encrypted, because id advise securing it and copying the wep key.

ok tried that rattle and i showed a pic of an mast type thing with what must represent circles of transmission coming out of it which seems to indicate that the card is switched on-its an inspiron 6000 also if thats helps any?

neacy69 wrote:
    ok tried that rattle and i showed a pic of an mast type thing with what must represent circles of transmission coming out of it which seems to indicate that the card is switched on-its an inspiron 6000 also if thats helps any?
    yeah once it shows a icon with circles its transmiting and receiving, next you should double click on the green icon in the system tray that looks like a old fashioned type fan. and tell me what happens

Ok next thing you do then is
    goto
    Start >> Control Panel >> Netowrk connections >>
    u should see wireless network connection icon, right click it and go to properties
    and u should find a let Windows mange your connection

Actually if u want to add me to messenger rattlehead_ie@hotmail.com Ill help ya

eh i dunno what software im running on it (xp)??? i haven't done anything to the wireless config on the router there is a wep already assigned to it so i guess that means it is secure. i have the bro's lappy so im gonna try that too it the same (inspiron 6000 and bought the same time)

• Advertisement

do you know the wep key? if its a 6000 its XP

Ive taken a screenshot where it shows the intel setup, just double click on the green icon right after the M icon
    laptop6ln.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

have you any digisenders aka videosenders in your house, if so switch them off and try connecting. i found that my wiefe's dell inspiron wireless card did not like our lidl digisender.

cordless phones may also interfere, but they are less likely to than digisenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You could change channel if that is the problem. Also, make sure the SSID is broadcasting (at least until you connect- then disable it again). If you(or Eircom) have disabled SSID broadcast then your network card will not pick up the AP. You can manually add it however once you find the SSID via the netopia admin page.

pauld wrote:
    have you any digisenders aka videosenders in your house, if so switch them off and try connecting. i found that my wiefe's dell inspiron wireless card did not like our lidl digisender.

cordless phones may also interfere, but they are less likely to than digisenders

Sussed!!!!
    great advice there pauld that is exactky what the problem have one one of those digisenders in my living room switched it off and bingo the lappy picked up the signal!!!
    excellent
    cheers everyone for the help especially rattle :D:D

No probs dude! Did you try the new FIRMWARE that I sent you the link to or did u stick to the old ones?

Advertisement