Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys Wrt54g users beware

• 28-09-2005 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

If you have a Linksys WRT54G do not upgrade to the latest fimware v4.01.2. Your wireless signal strength will go down the tube v.3.03.9 is stable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Again, are you sure that this was an official firmware, and can cite other users/websites that note issue also? Please cite references!
    Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

this firmware was downloaded from the offical linksys website. by going to linksys .com and then been redirected to the irish website.

O observed this flaw after trying it on my own router and noticing the huge preformance decrease and then trying it on another wrt54g router and seeing the exact same happen

i think its far to say if messed up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

heh. RTFM.
    Your signal strength shouldnt (and isnt changed by this)
    I have a medium-range link (1 mile) working just fine with a pair of WRT54g's.
    Even after I updated the firmware. My signal strength is actually 4% better than before, but that may just be a natural fluctuation in the radio propogation pattern.
    Then again, the neighbours may have simply trimmed that hedge that was partially obscuring the LOS.

ie: you messed it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

well if u can expalin to me after trying to upgrade 2 seperate wrt54gs from multiple pcs (different os's), pc using dhcp and staic ip and different browesrs, not that any of that makes a difference, and fater trying every signal that the router is able to broadcast on, including try b/g or auto transmision rates, only to see crap signal strength still, and to downgrade on both routers to v 3.03.9 and see them boht fully functioning as normal again i'm all ears

oh and it wasn't the same. bin file i used to upgrade both routers, i downloaded it multiple times, same result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What make & model are the NIC's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I have a medium-range link (1 mile) working just fine with a pair of WRT54g's.

hi, i've a similar situation with a mate wanting to create a link between him and his neighbour who currently has one WRT54GS

was looking at suggesting they get another and two directional antennas plus the right cables (Komplett seem to do CNet outdoor antenna kit), from looking online appears the WRT54GS has detachable antennas with R-TNC connectors?

what cables and antennas did you use and can you recommend a good place to get them?

Advertisement