Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

death to directx - please give me some options!

• 28-09-2005 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey guys - ive had a rough/irritatating week with windows.

I just got myself a 3500+, and decided to take full advantage of it by installing x64(pile of poo!), that went pear shaped, so i put longhorn on, which turned out to be completely useless, so i tried win2k, ran ok but its annoying to use for me these days, so now im back to 'good auld' xp.

I play alot of CounterStrike:Source, which is a good way to test a machines performance(looking at FPS). So I installed the latest drivers for everything on my machine, tweaked it up nicely and its shooting along... I downloaded dx9c off of ms.com and installed it - grand. I went to run CS:S and i got an error saying i need the latest dx to play it - which boggled me, dx9d?

So i did the usual, start -> run -> dxdiag and DX says im running 9b... buh... what the hell? So i downloaded dx9c again, but making a strong mental note that im getting the right one. Installed it, and i got the same error... so something is up.. Not to give up on that, i DLed it from other sources on the net - same error...

Ive done a system restor to the earliest point, but no joy....

One thing that puzzled me, was that when i installed dx, i clicked 'i accept' lalala n so on, but when the last 'ok cmon lets install this i said i agreed already' button came up, and i clicked it, instantly it said dx was installed... odd.. i know my machine is quick, but my last 2600 took a min to install DX..

Is this normal?

Give me some options please! dont make me reinstall windows for a fifth time!

reD.

p.s. i have tried to find a solution and yes 'i do know what google is'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

I'm not sure, but maybe if you turn off System Restore in Properties of [My Computer] and then install dx9c, could solve your problem?
    mightn't make slightest bit of difference, but worth a try.

Also, the 3500+ is quite fast, probably more than twice as fast as the 2600..so
    that might explain why it didn't take long to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

DirectX 9.0C can be downloaded as a full install rather than a web install as well

You will need to have a valid Windows XP licence to get it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en

Its a 34Meg download..

Possibly a no go for you because it sounds like you might already have this version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

what about opengl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

You could try uninstalling DirectX completely first, then installing 9.0c

Try this: http://www.3dcenter.org/downloads/directx-dx9uninstaller.php
    Or one of these: http://www.google.com/search?q=directx+uninstaller

I've never used one of those before, so I don't know how safe it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

cheers for the help lads - i downloaded teh self installer ages ago, and it turned out to be the version of windows i used... So i had to install it again :/

Have to install again now, im raiding SATA tomorrow morning - woohoo

• Advertisement
Advertisement