Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the Chances?

Options
  • 28-09-2005 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Was looking at Mars with my binoculars tonight and about 10 seconds after I started what did I see but a meteor streak through my view. What are the chances? I mean what are the chances of seeing a meteor in ones naked eye field of view at any given point in time never mind the chances of seeing one in the field of view of a pair of 12x50 binocs looking at mars?

Also saw the Andromeda Galaxy for the first time! Just a smudge really but exiting nonetheless. Really gets me exited about maybe getting the Revelation 12" Dob I mentioned in my other thread on the one hand but on the other hand tonights viewing also had me thinking it might be a bit of a waste. From the back Garden my house and my neighbours either side fill the Western Sky. I've high bushes/trees obscuring the southern view. The houses behind don't obscure as much of the Eastern Sky because they are a little further away BUT the house directly behind has a bloody great big spotlight on the back of their house which is on more often than not (Wasn't on tonight luckily). They always leave their bathroom light on all night though without a blind. Its surprising how much light polution there is from that alone. As for the north I have the spotlit spire of ChristChurch on Brays Church Road about 100m from me and all that Dublin light polution which from my point of view extended up into the sky to about 45 degrees.

Its lucky that Andromeda was almost directly overhead!

TBH with work hours/other commitments etc I can't imagine being able to vist Darksites very often if at all. Is it worth getting any Telescope in my situation never mind a 12" dob?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I've had that 'looking through the binoculars and seeing a meteor' experience myself, so it is not that unusual. Of course any time you do see a meteor, you question yourself as to whether you really did see it and then look at the sky in some hope of a confirmation that you did, which of course you never get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As to getting a telescope, yes, it is worth it!

Advertisement