Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Impreza WRX as daily driver ?

Options
  • 28-09-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭

I'm considering my options for 06 and was wondering what the Subaru Impreza WRX(225) is like for doing the mundane things like trips to shops/church on Sunday/general family taxi :) I'm talking in terms of comfort,convienience and general reliability etc

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

What else is on your shopping list? The Impreza is a fairly practical car for daily use with good passenger space and a useable boot. The ride is awfully choppy at low speed and you will struggle to get 20mpg on Super Unleaded (or €10 per tank of octane booster). Reliability isn't an issue with them - they rarely give trouble if looked after and with four doors are ideal for carrying kids. For good prices and service on a second-hand one give Phil Kirwan in Duncormick a shout (051 563151)

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

one of my mates had WRX's (3 of them) over the past 5 years. He has 2 young kids and a wife that loves shopping and never once before had any issues with it as a daily driver/family car.

he's now moved onto a different marque (purely to move up a rank) and bought the wife a jeep.

only downsides is the rob-ability, unwanted attention in your garden, the MPG (for a family car), and I've got to say the horrible thin, plasticy feeling as soon as you sit into it - and his were all fitted with the leather option extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Considering the intended use, you could do worse than drop the WRX (or Turbo altogether, for that matter). I... well, the Missus, uses our 2.0 Sport daily, 1 baby. MPG oscillates between 25 (city) and 35 (M'way). All the looks, not quite the punch (but enough, if you know what I mean ;) ) and definitely not the running costs.

Boot is actually huge for the car class (tested an IS200 a while back, boot in that looked to be half the volume of the Impreza's :eek: ), it will fit in a 'large' 3-wheeled push-chair and food shopping for the week, with room to spare for the trip to Dundrum or Liffey ;)

Conceded, they're don't have the most refined interior and ride can be a bit too 'firm' (read: bumpy) on Dublin roads, especially as I'd imagine the WRX shocks to be a lot firmer than mine, but reliability-wise and safety-wise it's way up there - not many permanent AWD of that size/car class about, or to choose from for that matter.

... and as for trading up in "image", I'd never consider German Metal, I'd just go Legacy (RSK Twin-Turbs) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks for the replies so far lads.

I'll have to get a close look at one,I would be concerned about a poor interior even with the leather,OK OK I know this is NOT what you buy it for but its still at 45K it would want to be reasonable.

MPG doesn't sound too promising but I do very small milage so could live with it.My insurance would go from 600 to 1000...am dunno....but would be nice to have a drivers cars for a couple of years

Ahem....the alternatives I'm considering are Audi A4 2.0 TDI(have an A4 atm) BMW 320D or might stretch to a 325i,might even look at a Golf GTI..Flame on... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Doesn't answer any of your questions, but I hate the stupid flat spoiler that comes as standard on the WRX:

WRX%20Exterior.jpg

Will the dealer provide an STi-like spoiler as an extra, or would you have to go aftermarket?

WRX%20STi%20Exterior.jpg

Of course you could stump up the small matter of 16k more for the STi....

• Advertisement

I'll have to get a close look at one,I would be concerned about a poor interior even with the leather,OK OK I know this is NOT what you buy it for but its still at 45K it would want to be reasonable.

Hang a sec' - at the price you quote, you're evidently buying new, right? If so, recent Impreza interiors are fine. Not quite Merc' or Beemer, but not quite Skoda or Toyota either. Personally, I was referring to pre-02 (-ish) models.
    MPG doesn't sound too promising but I do very small milage so could live with it.My insurance would go from 600 to 1000...am dunno....but would be nice to have a drivers cars for a couple of years

MPG will depend totally on (i) how you drive it (ii) where you drive it (iii) whether there's a turbo in it and (iv) don't forget you're driving 4 wheels, not 2 (that in itself always adds that little extra compared to same-size 2WD).
    Ahem....the alternatives I'm considering are Audi A4 2.0 TDI(have an A4 atm) BMW 320D or might stretch to a 325i,might even look at a Golf GTI..Flame on... :)
    [flame] How typically nouveau riche and boring of you, Sir :D;) [/flame]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well I have an 02 Wrx myself and it's grand for mundane things like shopping etc. Boot space is more than adequate. Comfort is good as well (The ride on the sti is very harsh), comfortable bucket seats in the front, 3 proper seats belts in the back. It's heavy on juice but that doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

It is of course super fast, not many people can laugh at 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. The handling is extraordinary because of the AWD; I really have to be careful when driving in other cars (found New Honda Accord, and new BMW 5 Series slide a bit recently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

might even look at a Golf GTI..Flame on... :)

Flame suit? Eh why?

The GTI comes in at 35k, has a much better interior, better fuel economy and a small amount of only 25bhp less - but has a fair chunk of torque.

It also handles well, has a sporty but decent ride and to be honest I can't fault it.

It's also quicker than a 325 but as a daily driver is fine and can be used for shopping as much as it can be used for having a blast around twisties in.

Big Balls wrote:
    Flame suit? Eh why?

LOL ..don't get me wrong,thought the Scooby lads would slag me for mentioning Germans after asking about WRX.

Will definitely look at the GTI,would expect(hope!) to get a good deal where I bought my A4,would prob be the best 'value'.

Only thing is I think it looks better in the 3 door but I'd have to get a 5.

A mate has one in black with 5drs as he has kids and it actually looks ok.

Here's mine though and yeh I think the 3rd does look the best.

RIMG2035.jpg
    RIMG2036.jpg

Sure bring one for a test drive, I went from an Audi to a GTI but I had a MKIV GTI too. No comparison between old and new.

• Advertisement

Looks great in black ok,all the best with her.Saw a red one at the stealers a while back,think it would be me.

Just one question BB- any sqeaks or rattles appear in it,this is a big no no with me.The A4 has been flawless in that regard- very well put together.

I had a 2004 A3 and it was rattle free too.

None as of yet, small bit of trim does not fit into place under centre console which is hard to see and I will get it into place when have time to look at it but not the point.

Apart from that it's fantastic. The plastics used are not to Audi standard but it's all about the drive with this car and that it does very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would be concerned about a poor interior even with the leather,OK OK I know this is NOT what you buy it for but its still at 45K it would want to be reasonable

You'll get a very fast and capable car :)

Lots of money though for a Jap tinbox. Depreciation will be huge and its skanger looks don't help :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you can wait for the new Skoda Octavia vRS, it arrives in January and should cost from about €30k. It will use the same 2.0 FSi turbo engine, DSG gear box and chassey from the Golf GTi but may about 220bhp. Talk has it that it will also be available with the 2.0 TDi engine tuned to 170/180bhp for those who want economy. :D

The only thing that will probably put alot pf people off though is the Skoda badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Big Balls wrote:
    A mate has one in black with 5drs as he has kids and it actually looks ok.

Here's mine though and yeh I think the 3rd does look the best.

RIMG2035.jpg
    RIMG2036.jpg

Sure bring one for a test drive, I went from an Audi to a GTI but I had a MKIV GTI too. No comparison between old and new.

They the 18 inches?

I think the GTI also looks savage in white, really shows off the black grill with the red line around it

Squirrel wrote:
    They the 18 inches?

Yip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I'm considering my options for 06 and was wondering what the Subaru Impreza WRX(225) is like for doing the mundane things like trips to shops/church on Sunday/general family taxi :) I'm talking in terms of comfort,convienience and general reliability etc

Consider the thieveability factor too - look at Paddy Fagin posts on his Octavia vRS - do yu want similar hassle?

Which is another reason to go for 2.0 n/a ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

those GTI's are a jem but do they come in any colour other than black

Tis the best colour Ando ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Big Balls wrote:
    Tis the best colour Ando ;)

That, silver and white are the only colours I'd buy. The red soesn't show the trim around the grill as well as these. Also the 18 inch wheels look sweet, well done Big Balls

Advertisement