Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Quality Transparency on Gifs.

Options
  • 28-09-2005 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Im making some graphics for a website with Photoshop CS. I want icons to have a transparent Background but they all come out in poor quality when i try. Im saving them as Gifs but the edges of the icons look terrible.

What settings should i be using, ill post up some examples if you want. I know feck all about the file types and what wa i should be saving them. if anyone has some good links id appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Why not create the icons against a transparent background?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Why not create the icons against a transparent background?

Sorry i didnt explain it very well, The icons im drawing should be on a transparent background but the edges of the Icon look terrible.

can you post up an example please?

Here ya go.

its quite hard to see due to the white background.

Heres a example of when i use the above image on a coloured background

• Advertisement

The problem is you are using dropshadows - which require a pre-defined colour as their background AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Gif's are inherently low quality - try using transparent PNG's instead.

However, to get transparent PNG working in internet explorer you'll need this fix.

Ah right, well i shall drop the drop shadow and leave it at that. its for an internal web page so it doesnt have to look outstanding, it just needs to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement