Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games on TV

Options
  • 28-09-2005 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Watched a new games review show on TMF last night, Game On. Far too fast and frenetic to be of any use, although the review section was okay (and the woman hosting it was fairly fine). I know there's a fairly good one on Bravo, and doesn't Dominic Diamond have a show somewhere? Apart from that, there's a dearth of good games review shows on TV, or is there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Well, Sci-Fi recently launched their own games show, except they've taken the rather odd route of displaying it in short, 2-minute chunks in between shows during the day, almost guaranteeing I'll miss it.

Dominik Diamond's show "When Games Attack" was originally shown last September on Bravo. Looks like it didn't get picked up for another series. Oh well.

Apart from these, there's hardly anything. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Bring back .tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gamer.tv was and is probably the best games show on TV. It doesn't mess about with stupid 'celebrity challenges' or the like and instead focuses solely on news, reviews and previews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I remember Thumb Bandits from a while back - pretty rubbish, they tried to liven things up by swearing irreguarly and putting it on at like one o clock at night. Not worth the effort.

Oh yeah and dont forget Gamesville ;) The 'optimistic' games show where even the worst of games never got less than 6/7 GS! That Games Guru was like so clever. And of course you cant forget those totally hip presenters. They were so bling! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Oh yeah and dont forget Gamesville The 'optimistic' games show where even the worst of games never got less than 6/7 GS! That Games Guru was like so clever. And of course you cant forget those totally hip presenters. They were so bling!

I give your review 10 g's innit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Ah yes the awful gamesville and the proof that not even a severe heroin addicition can stop someone from becoming famous: The Guru.On the good side I find Gamer TV to be watchable but its on five nights a week and the same few shows are repeated for two weeks before new stuff comes on,very annoying. After that theres nothing else games related on tv worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

There used to be a decent enough one a while back on bravo wiht two american girls, a blond and a brunette. Fairly good show so it was. Also what about that show that Voilet Berlin used to do (not game pad) years ago that was really popular. Think it was on ch4, i remember distinctly that they debut the original playstation on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

cybernet is a good games review show on utv at round 4 at night ,i record it on vcr, watch it the next day ,its the best games show on terrestial tv,the time its on changes frequently though from 3.30 onwards.its got good commentary and gameclips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is cybernet the one with the CGI tv screens and stuff? Thats a good one, simply because they don't show you the f'ing presenters, and just show in game footage! The way it should all be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

most gamers have the internet these days, so the theres no need for TV shows, considering they'd also be a few days behind

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote:
    most gamers have the internet these days, so the theres no need for TV shows, considering they'd also be a few days behind

So true. Once i have my ign and gamespot, im good. After all, its the only way to know about news as it happens (like Tokyo game show recently). I still read Gamecentral on teletext though. Many hate it, but they know their games and can write to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Bring back gamesmaster i say ! :D

"Please gamesmaster, can I have some cheats for mortal kombat on the amiga 600 ?" ..... ah memories .....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

iregk wrote:
    Fairly good show so it was. Also what about that show that Voilet Berlin used to do (not game pad) years ago that was really popular. Think it was on ch4, i remember distinctly that they debut the original playstation on it.

That one on Channel 4 was called Bits. It used to be on late at night.
    http://www.bitsonline.tv/main.htm

The production company behind it, is also behind Thumb Bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

did anyone see the one on during the day on sky one (must recent one i no of) gamesguro r something was the most chessy peice of s.hit i ever seen :D

Yeah, great the way they were games gurus and yet still had to use the net for all cheats and tips isn't it!!! Sure anyone of us could do that job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mp3guy wrote:

why not get rid of the radio and newspapers too

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Saw an ad on Bravo for Gamer TV: Next Gen yesterday. It's starting next Monday.

As far as I can tell it looks like Gamer TV but they are showing the presenter (same guy) and they have competitions and stuff.

Could be a step backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

GamesMaster was really the only good attempt at gaming television. The sets were excellent, the news and reviews were well written. They some pretty high profile celebrity guests. They had some really fun challenges like the two hip hop DJ's playing Parappa the Rapper on table sized PSOne controllers, or the guy playing two games of Virtua Cop simultaniously.

Alot of the games nowadays don't lend themselves to 2 minute summaries so I think they're kind of hard to review/preview. I remember finding the Half Life 2 previews on Gamesville very frustrating; hour long show and they'd be hyping the game up for 40 minutes. And then they show a 120 seconds of footage.

There are a couple of excellent online TV shows doing the rounds at the moment. Retrocore's presentation isn't the best in the world (just a guy talking over game footage) but he really knows his stuff, so you get some interesting anecdotes about the games and the companies involved that you'd never get in mainstream journalism. I like how he curses and growls when he's doing badly as well. :)

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=retro%20core

There's also Consolevania, which tries to do a more real TV style show. The presentation is pretty rough. And the comedy is very hit and miss. But it's absolutely classic when they get the sketches right. The reviews are really entertaining and well written as well. None of that x/10 nonsense. Just good honest opinions really funnily delivered.

You can get the latest episode here:

http://consolevania.thefraudcast.com/cvtwoTwo.avi

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does anyone remember the Irish attempt at a game show. That was laughable. The reviews were the worst. Fifa fanboys reviewing a terrible Fifa game and giving it a perfect score. All the reviews were done by 10-14 year olds that didn't have a clue. I think the Snes classic Firemen got an atrocious review while Biometal, one of the worst shmups ever (it even has a soundtrack by 2Unlimited) got a great review. The challenges were a joke. Kids saying how great they were because they beat SF2 on the hardest difficulty level. They may have been good gamers but the games they made them play were always disgracefully bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Razgriz

i dont think its possible to make a good games show anymore. gamesmaster was good, and the 3 girls from bits looked pretty good, but the rest of it is "bling bling, i dont know a god damn thing about games" kinda crap.

the simple fact is, we want a decent show, that has honest reviews by unbiased presenters, that actually know about games. which probably wont happen anytime soon. and most people who know alot about games, arent "cool" enough for tv.

i prefer the net for games news/reviews. and gamefaqs.com is way better then that drug soaked guru.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always liked the Gamesmaster reviews since they were done by real games journalists. Gamesmaster magazine was very good at the time since it had a selection of a future publishing employees working on it as well as their own staff. The show used to have the future publishing reviewers on their show. I remember one of the Sega Power reviewers getting annoyed when they edited his review to make it seem like he liked the Fifa game he was reviewing. There were loads of letters to Sega Power calling him a hypocrite because the gave the same game about 40% in Sega Power.

I remember one Irish show with that embarrasing presenter Kevin somethign or other from Tallaght a few years ago. I think he would only be mid 20's now and he was on the den and everyting else rte had back then also. If thats the one your on about it was rubbish. I remember one of the fifa's getting a 10 out of 10 rating!!!! How, why and just why again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

http://www.megaloplay.com/tvgameshows.php

Check it out guys: the entire first series of GamesMaster available for download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

http://www.megaloplay.com/tvgameshows.php

Check it out guys: the entire first series of GamesMaster available for download.
    nice find!

excellent stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Hey, hope someone can help me here,

Whats the name of the game they play on gamesville where they whack each others teeth out with shovels and bombs etc and i think there chickens or rabbits or something, it looks great :) also what was the name of the game on gamesmaster where theres 4 players and there each this coloured blob and you basically play a game of "it" where one blob is randomly infected then has to touch another blob to pass on the desease and at the end of a 30 seconds or so the person left with the desease looses :)

Both of them would be great party drunk games, thanks to anyone who knows

Advertisement