Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP Advice

Options
  • 28-09-2005 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I admit that I think both the PSP and its games are hugely overpriced, and that I once laughed at the thought of getting one.

However, two weeks of getting the train from Dublin to Sligo twice a week has hit me with the realisation that I'll be bored out of my brain for 6 hours a week for the next year or so. What better excuse could I have to go out and waste €300 or so?

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a good value PSP bundle? Or has anyone any advice on what games would be good to get in my bundle?

I've heard Metal Gear Acid is a definite no-go area and I'm not really into racing games so I doubt I'd like Need for Speed or Ridge Racer. I did like the Wipeouts on the PS2 though.

Any advice from anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't dismiss MGS Acid. Give it a try. You will either love it or hate it. Wipeout Pure is very good but if you don't like racing games then it probably isn't for you. You should probably go for Mercury and Lumines, two fantastic puzzle games. Lumines may not show off the power of the PSP but it doesn't drain batteries as much and being a tetris type game you won't get bored of it anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Get Luminies, you won't regret it. I've got about 5 PSP games incl. Virtua Tennis and Burnout Legends. Luminies is the most recent game I got over a week ago and it hasn't left my PSP since. If you need to kill time on a train then Luminies is the way to go.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I like MetalGearAcid - i don't like other metal gear games though. Lumines is great also.

I have Mercury, but I'm not completely sold on it. Very much like monkey-ball, except less fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

Get a psp.
    Use the downgrader (www.pspupdates.com) to flash the firmware and you can play any Snes/megadrive game.
    It can also be used to (ahem) 'backup' those games you bought.
    If that floats your boat of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Get a psp.
    Use the downgrader (www.pspupdates.com) to flash the firmware and you can play any Snes/megadrive game.
    It can also be used to (ahem) 'backup' those games you bought.
    If that floats your boat of course.

Would that damage the PSP at all though? I know it would affect my warranty more than likely.

Thanks for the feedback on the games. I'm not really a puzzle man though so I think I'll steer clear of Lumines and Mercury. Wipeout sounds a far better prospect. I'm into shooting and actions games mostly. Is Sipderman any good?

Btw, anyone got any details of where I can get a good value PSP bundle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There really isn't anything in the shooter/action genre worth getting at the moment. Spiderman is a load of my arse and coded arms isn't much better.

Regarding the PSP emulators, are they running at a decent speed? Last time I had a go on them the megadrive emu ran at an atrocious speed and the the SNES ran a little better but without sound.

The released games that I got off Sony's website were:

World Tour Soccer
    Wipeout Pure
    Virtua Tennis
    Spider-Man 2
    Ridge Racer
    Need For Speed
    MediEvil
    Lumines
    Fired Up
    F1 Grand Prix
    Everybody's Golf
    Mercury
    Ape Academy

Out of those, the only games I'd really be interested in are Wipeout, Virtua Tennis, Spider-Man and MediEvil. Btw, are those definitely the only games out so far?

Anyone got any opinions on those four games or prices of good bundles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Virtua Tennis is excellent and even better with multiplayer. And there's a good chance that there could be other PSP Virtua Tennis players on your Sligo train to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Regarding the PSP emulators, are they running at a decent speed? Last time I had a go on them the megadrive emu ran at an atrocious speed and the the SNES ran a little better but without sound.

They're all but perfect now, and exceptionably playable with sound - just finished Seiken Denitsu 3 for the first time. However, unless there's been a big breakthrough in the last week, you'll need 1.5 or lower firmware - the WAB downgrader was either a fake or a huge exaggeration and is no longer being worked on. So, sadly I've been avoiding most recent commercial games as they force you to update the firmware.

Don't bother with Medievil. It's a port of a PS1 game that was crap when it was released and is probably much worse now.

Edit: Thanks for the info super furry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Lemlin wrote:
    Btw, are those definitely the only games out so far?

No, there should be a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

However, unless there's been a big breakthrough in the last week, you'll need 1.5 or lower firmware - the WAB downgrader was either a fake or a huge exaggeration and is no longer being worked on. So, sadly I've been avoiding most recent commercial games as they force you to update the firmware.

..introducting the firmware downgrader! (courtesy of MPH) ..it's official..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Lemlin wrote:
    The released games that I got off Sony's website were:

World Tour Soccer
    Wipeout Pure
    Virtua Tennis
    Spider-Man 2
    Ridge Racer
    Need For Speed
    MediEvil
    Lumines
    Fired Up
    F1 Grand Prix
    Everybody's Golf
    Mercury
    Ape Academy

Out of those, the only games I'd really be interested in are Wipeout, Virtua Tennis, Spider-Man and MediEvil. Btw, are those definitely the only games out so far?

Anyone got any opinions on those four games or prices of good bundles?

between me and danilo, we have almost all of them anyway, so you can have a look on saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I stand corrected - looks like it was released last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

[nicK] wrote:
    Beautiful, now I really cant wait to go to NY so I can pick a PSP up and play my beloved SNES games on it.

Originally posted by Jammer
    between me and danilo, we have almost all of them anyway, so you can have a look on saturday!

I'm looking to get it on Friday in town though Jammer, have a day off college. What games do you have? Where'd you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Don't bother with Medievil. It's a port of a PS1 game that was crap when it was released and is probably much worse now.

Edit: Thanks for the info super furry.

Both myself and my mate have it and absolutely love it. Ok you are constantly tapping X and {} to kill zombies but it's a class game with good puzzles. I only looked at reviews now and gamespot give it a 6.5 or something and if i knew that i would not have bought it beforehand cos i usually live by review sites but it really is a fun game. I have medievil, twisted metal and nba: street and i think medievil is my favourite so far. I bought it over three weeks ago and its great...play it every night b4 bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lumines and Mercury are both great puzzle games.
    Burnout Legends is great (I mean, it has it's problems, but overall it's my fave PSP game atm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Father_Ted

Lumines would be perfect for the train, only problem is you might miss your stop while playing it.

cheesedude wrote:
    I have medievil, twisted metal and nba: street and i think medievil is my favourite so far. I bought it over three weeks ago and its great...play it every night b4 bed!

Well to be honest it's not exactly being compared to the best games on the PSP.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    I'm looking to get it on Friday in town though Jammer, have a day off college. What games do you have? Where'd you get yours?

I have Midnight Club, Toca, Lumines, Virtua Tennis and Tony Hawks. Danilo has coded arms, medieval, ridge racer and a good few more. Got mine in PC World. Will probably pick up Burnout myself on friday too.

Originally posted by Jammer
    I have Midnight Club, Toca, Lumines, Virtua Tennis and Tony Hawks. Danilo has coded arms, medieval, ridge racer and a good few more. Got mine in PC World. Will probably pick up Burnout myself on friday too.

Will you bring those into work on Saturday or tomorrow evening?

I'd say I'll probably get Wipeout Pure. It got 9.3 on IGN and I used to like it on the original PlayStation.

Planning to get a 1Gb memory card for €80 which is pretty alright. That means I should be able to put a good few MP3s on it too.

Does downloading that mean that I can pretty much download any old MegaDrive or SNES game? I'd love to be able to download the likes of Streets of Rage, Shinobi and Golden Axe.

Btw, anyone know when Pro Evolution Soccer will be out on PSP? I'll be flying when that's out.

GTA and Pro Evo will be out at the end of october!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Father_Ted wrote:
    Lumines would be perfect for the train, only problem is you might miss your stop while playing it.

Here's someone that agrees...

Make me a game that lasts a Tube journey!
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2005/09/20/make_me_a_game_that_lasts_a_tube_journey.html

Btw, what's this dead pixels issue that I have to look out for? Is there any way I can avoid it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

^^^^^

Not really its a risk you take buying anything with an lcd. Happens on lcd tellys allot but because you dont have your face up against it you never see them.

Got my PSP earlier in Gamestop (only shop in Dublin that seems to have them). Was €320 with 1 game and 1 UMD. Got Black Hawk Down and Wipeout Fusion.

Forgot to mention, got Spidey as well!

Anyone know where I can get a decent screen protector or UMD cases?

• Advertisement
Advertisement