Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force majuere for shift workers

Options
  • 28-09-2005 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I've just been reading a thread about the entitlements of fathers to parental leave on the birth of a child (or lack thereof), and thought I would share another injustice with you all.

As a father of two boys I have needed in the past to claim FM leave from work (broken arms etc..) and I was extremely annoyed to find that as a shift worker who works 12.25 hour shifts I was only entitled to be paid for 8 hours of my day! Yes folks, if I had been a "normal" 8 hour day worker I would have been paid 100% of my daily pay, but as a shift worker I get 66% of my daily rate. Wasn't FM leave brought in to alleviate financial hardship when ones family needed them?? This is just another example of how our government is ripping us off.

Has anyone else had trouble recieving a fair whack when it comes to your children?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

'Force Majuere': the Parental Leave Act 1998 provides employees with a right to limited 'paid' leave (force majuere leave) to enable them to deal with family emergencies resulting from injury or illness of a family member. Such leave must not exceed three days in any 12 consecutive months, or 5 days in any 36 consecutive months. Absence for part of a day is counted as one day of force majeure leave.

Family members as referred to above are:

* A child or adoptive child of the employee.
    * The spouse of the employee, or a person with whom the employee is living as husband or wife.
    * A person to whom the employee is in 'loco parentis'.
    * A brother or sister of the employee.
    * A parent or grandparent of the employee.

I would quiery it with your HR dept and with your local socail welfare office.

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=85&docID=-1

or here Equality Authority.

# Call our Public Information Section on locall 1890-245545
    # Complete our online Information Enquiry Form or email us at info@equality.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe, too, you should start looking for a job where you don't have to work 12-hour days. Not a lot of lovin' time for a daddy after 12 hours of hard graft.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

presumably he's only working 3 or 4 days a week so plenty of "lovin time" left on the days off. 12 hours a day, 5 days a week would (i think) be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I presume you work 3-4 days per week, for a total of forty-something hours.

You are entitled to the 8 hours paid because that is what anyone else would be entitled to. Look at it in terms of fractions of weeks not worked rather than days not worked.

Advertisement