Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Chelsea (may contain goals if we're lucky!)

• 28-09-2005 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Or will it be a tactical 0-0 draw? Does the desire for 'revenge' by Chelsea mean we'll have a game or will this be a 90 min bore draw which suits both parties at expense of Betis and Anderlecht?

I suspect the need for Liverpool to score a goal thats seen by the cameras may be an issue myself! Whatsmore I expect Luis Garcia to do his damnedest
    to be the 'special one'. :)

My best/worst guess at the starting 11

Reina

Finnan
    Cara---Hyppia---Traore

Alonso

Cisse
    Gerrard
    Zenden (prefer Risse myself)

Garcia

Crouch

Subs Carson, Josemi, Warnock, Hamann, FSP

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i can see a boaring game meself and i wouldn't be suprised if something ridiculous happens like a change in benitez formation or somethin...u neverr know...i'll go for 2-2 though

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

2-1 to liverpool.

For some unknown reason Liverpool are really able to turn it on for the CL. Must be down to Benitez knowledge of the european game I suppose. He will have to play 4-4-2 me thinks though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Both teams will play a 4-5-1 formation and will play defensively for fear of losing the game. Liverpool have slight advanhtage with the atmosphere that anfield produces on a European occasion but they will just end up cancelling each other out. Chelseas defence has been fantastic this season where as Liverpools attack has been terrible. Maybe thatcould be the deciding factor but i honestly think a 0-0 draw is the most likely result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Like I said before I dont care if we win or draw this game as long as we win in the premiership on sunday. I can see Rafa playing a formation something similar to that of chelsea, in that it can quickly turn defense to attack(if the midfielders actually get up and suport crouch)

my starting line up would be

Reina

Finnan
    Carradona----Hyypia----Warnock

Hamann
    Alonso

Pongolle/Cisse
    Gerrard
    Riise

Crouch

For me this formation has a strong defense but has the ability to make very quick attacks. It leaves Gerrard in his best position(bursting through from deep) and should also allow for good support for Crouch from Pongolle/Cisse and Riise aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Think Chelsea will be out ot avenge 'the goal that never was', so they'll be out to prove a point
    1-0 to Chelsea. possible low scoring match.

will Finnan start he was on the bench for Birghmingham? Also when will Crouch do anything for Liverpool to justify his signing. Interesting match, will the Anfield factor have an effect or will the Chelsea steamroller roll on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

possible low scoring match

Nah, I reckon it'll be 3-3 with Chelsea scoring all theirs in the first half and then Liverpool come out in the second half firing on all cylinders and score 3 in quick succession......actually, hang on a sec.... that could never happen......

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i dont think both teams will be pushing themselves too hard tbh. the result in this one is not as important really as the premiership match on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

0-0 or else 1-0 to Chelski. Drogba to score the winner, a header. 0-0 is my favoured choice though.

And I predict that the match will be the bore of the century!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭madjack

back Chelsea. They are a different class to pool and although Liverpool have turned it on occasionally in the champs league I believe they will be no match for the blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Hoping for a thriller, but it'll be highly unlikely. I think chelsea will win it, comfortably and if chelsea do win, i highly think it would end up a borefest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Prediction: 0-0 r 1-1
    dont think they'll go hell for leather,i expect both teams to get through that group , we might see a better match in the league at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

as a pool fan there is only one result that i would hope for and of course that is a liverpool win... even if the ball doesn't cross the line :D 1-0 would do it grand but with chelsea playing the way they are and liverpool playing the way that they are it doesn't look likely that liverpool can grab a point here. did anyone see tv3 after the united game last night and see the chelsea squad they made into two teams. either one would be title contenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am hoping for a Chelsea win. If you are not a liverpool fan you will understand and admit liverpools win in turkey was a total fluke and they wont get anywhere near it again, you can quote this here and we can come back after the final.

I am a firm believer that Ac Milan through away the game rather then liverpool winning it.

But about tonight. Chelsea beating everyone and arnt near any good form. I can smell a victory for the blues. And contrare to belief I think we might get a good spectacle today. But I do think its a blues win. Hoepfully we cna get a really good game tonight. There is too much attacking wuality on show for it to be a defensive crappy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A draw, it suits both teams, as I'm sure Chelsea would fancy their chances of winning it at Stamford Bridge to top the group.

0-0.

It will be a different game at the weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

odds of 5-1 for a 0-0 draw. Might be worth a bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I would say it will be a draw, although would perfer to see Liverpool win! 0-0 which a lot of people are predicting does not necessarily mean that the game will be boring, there was only one goal over the 2 legs last year and I found the games more exciting than the Bayer Leverkusen v Liverpool games for example, although admitedly there is not as much at stake in tonights game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im thinking 1-0 win to pool tonight, and then chelsea to win by the same score in the prem. Hope to god he gives crouch a partner, think he looks decent when he has players around him, but when he's up there on his own he looks far too slow to chase the ball, and for stuff that comes straight to him he has great flick ons, but theres noone there to take advantage of them! either cisse or pongolle working close up with him would be fine with me. preferably cisse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭The Gecko

Hoping for a thriller, but it'll be highly unlikely. I think chelsea will win it, comfortably and if chelsea do win, i highly think it would end up a borefest...

There needs to be an earlier goal in this one!!!!!!!!!!! The oldest saying in the book but true. The other thing that could get things going is the gerard v lampard story the papers will run the next day. Although English team mates there will be real competition at a personal level which will hopefully kick things off...

Praying for a lively game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reina
    -Finnan-Hyypia-Carragher-Traore
    Hamann
    Cisse
    Alonso----Garcia
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Subs - Carson, Warnock, Josemi, Pongolle, Riise, Zenden, Potter.

Well thats my formation guess.

here's uefa take

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Hopefully Cisse wont be on the wing, hes wasted there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Worst tip-off in the history of football.

If I had paid whatever ridiculous amount of money for that game I would be asking for a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What is Gerrard at? he has wasted 3 or 4 set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Anyone laugh when hyypia was booted in the back of the leg and the ref gave a corner? Talk about blatant. Very cagey so far and our set pieces have been rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

very poor half. Bad passing, one or two shots of decent effort. Drogba acting the "Drama Queen".

Hope it improves. Robben has gotten very little ball to feeet they better not take him off for joe muck or shawn writghly overpriced.

It has been absolutely terrible so far.

Drogba is AWFUL.

An absolutely rubbish game of football which tbh is exactly what I expected t to be. So far my 0-0 bet is looking fairly solid. I dont think I can watch this muck for another 45 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool on top and denied a blatant penalty. Chelsea playing their usual cagey game and hoping to hit on the break.

Chelsea are so negative - exactly like Liverpool under Houllier when they were at their most defensive. They've been playing for a 0-0 from the start and are hoping to nick something, if there's any justice Liverpool will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Last nites game was a lot better IMO :confused:

• Advertisement

Both of them were, but when there's only one team trying to win the game it was always going to be that way. "Boring, boring Chelsea" is ringing out around Anfield and they're spot on.

Well the boring Blues got the result they came for a 0-0. Drogba was a disgrace too with his diving and play acting - they'll never win the Champions League playing like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We wuz robbed!

That handball aside it was quite obvious a 0-0 was the result both were happy with. Roll on Sunday, we may see a game of football.

Mike.

PLEASE tell me someone else was listening to the RTE lads at the end.

Liam Brady: "Some people are touting Frank Lampard as the best player in Europe"
    Bill O'Herlihy [Deadly Serious]: "His son, you mean?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

liverpool were by far the better team, at least they attacked. chelsea were brutal, champions league you're having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Awful game.
    Ref was attrocious but helped both sides - blatant penalty and Alonso on 3 occasions in the 2nd half was lucky to not get a 2nd yellow. LAte tackle where the ref played advantage - kicking the ball at Essien to try and get him booked and kicking at Lampard after he was robbed.

I think Mourinho is delibrately antoginising everyone - he has been critiised for being boring so what does he do - played even more boring. Bringing on Huth was a big "up-yours" and that he will do what he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Giles was in a bad old humour :) Very negative :-D

Gallas should be lining out for tyrone ;)

The referee was an absolute disgrace tonight too, all round. Liverpool should have had at least one penalty, and Robbens booking was just incredible.

Alonso should have walked. As could Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If ever a game had 0-0 written all over it....before the game I actually fancied one of the sides to win it by the odd goal but the longer the game went on, the more you could see it ending goaless.
    I think Liverpool were the better side on the balance of play. They passed it better than Chelsea, Chelsea never looked at their fluint best at any point during the game. Neither side had enough quality at either end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

chelsea were awefull tonight, liverpool should have won firstof. Crouch played really well and at least we are still top of the group. Brady and dunphy were well pissed of after the match. Chelsea came for a draw tonight!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Liverpool should have and deserved to win tbh.
    Crouch was fantastic - shame they couldnt get enough service to him.
    To many frees and corners squandered.
    Riise should have come on - Liverpool were lacking on the left and Riise could have provided better service to Crouch.
    Chelsea were awful to watch - they wont win the Champions League playing the way they did tonight.

• Advertisement

Well my prediction came through and it ended up as a boring 0-0 draw. Chelsea were simply awful tonight, especially in the second half and they offered absolutely nothing throughout the game. Credit to Liverpool who actually gave it a go and were denied a stonewall penalty. I cant believe how much money Chelsea paid for Essien. I have seen him play a few times now and he does nothing. He is basically a battering ram to win the ball back but he has so little technical ability he struggles to pay a ten yard pass. terrible stuff and Drogba was not far behind. I have never been a fan of Drogba and people said he just needed a season to settle in at Chelsea. He has had his season and is still an average player at best.

Liverpool werent great themselves but they did give it a go. I have to say this though Garcia really is a bad player. He never does anything except constantly give the ball away. People are conned into thinking he is a good plyer by the fact that he scored a few goals in last seasons competition. he is awful, especially in PL matches and tonight was no exception. Cisse is not far behind although he did have an excuse tonight in playing out of position. I thought Peter Crouch had an excellent game. He won everything that came to hi and his control and touch is very good. Liverpool really need to supply hi better and he will be a top player for them.

All in all a terrible game with a lack of quality but if anyone deserved it then Liverpool did.

Looking forward to hearing Jose. Hopefully the interviewer will give him some sort of tough questions.

Its up after the break on Sky.

Gallas should be lining out for tyrone ;)

yeah and essien.

[QUOTE=MrJoeSoap
    ]PLEASE tell me someone else was listening to the RTE lads at the end.

Liam Brady: "Some people are touting Frank Lampard as the best player in Europe"
    Bill O'Herlihy [Deadly Serious]: "His son, you mean?"[/QUOTE]

what year is that man living in??? is he getting a touch of alzheimers???

yeah like Duh Bill!!!!!

frank sr hasnt played since the 80's and he played for west ham ffs!!! WAKEY WAKEY Mr Herlihy!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Guess what? I won €6133.00 on this game.

I rock.

I ROCK!!!!!

Actually couldn't watch the game I was ****ting it so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

dublindude wrote:

I rock.

I ROCK!!!!!

Wow :eek:

What for?

dublindude wrote:

I rock.

I ROCK!!!!!

well done!
    Your also the only one who'll remember that game with great fondness

dublindude wrote:

Nice work man. What was the bet?

dublindude wrote:

I rock.

I ROCK!!!!!

Holy fungus! Fair play to ye! At least it wasn't a chances-at-each-end game, you mightn't have lasted the pace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dublindude wrote:

!

what was the bet and how much had you on? if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I put €4000 on under 2.5 goals. Odds were 8/15.

I was tempted to put 2k on the 0 - 0 (a very obvious result) but my nerves said no.

New clothes for me tomorrow!!! :D WOOO!!!!

I was seriously ****tin' it though...

(note: the winnings are actually only €2133.00)

• Advertisement
Advertisement