Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection sharing

Options
  • 08-09-2001 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Just wondering........

Does anyone know for certain if it's possible to share any/all of the following internet connection types among several PCs?

Also....is it possible to get a static IP address assigned to your connection using any of these technologies?

- ADSL
    - Any other flavour of home user oriented DSL
    - Cable modem
    - Satellite

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

yes it is easy to share it useing them, yes you can get a static ip and yes you will pay through the noise for it,

allso you will be waiting a long long time for cable or adsl in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I don't recommened we talk about these kind of things IE connection sharing at all on this forum... as certain telco's DO WATCH this forum. As you know, if you do not buy a networking package, you can only use the basic package for 1 PC only ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by ando
    I don't recommened we talk about these kind of things IE connection sharing at all on this forum... as certain telco's DO WATCH this forum. As you know, if you do not buy a networking package, you can only use the basic package for 1 PC only ....

The only reason you shouldn't talk about connection sharing is it might be OT. Eircom are not stupid, I'm sure they have heard of NAT/ICS.

Bosco you should use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on Win 2000 Pro or Win 98, Network Address Translation (NAT) on Win 2000 Server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I'm on the Eircom DSL trial and I've managed to setup ics on my network at home.

It basically consists of a freebsd box with two network cards (one for the alcatel dsl modem + one for the hub) that establishes the connection to eircom at boot time, using pppoe. Theres one or two arguments you need to add to the configuration file to enable ics but thats about it.

Then you just tell your windows machines to use that (the internal ip of it) as the gateway.

Windows 2000 would probably be simpler to set up as a gateway, but hey, it's a trial so I want to try everything possible ;)

Theres no static ip's unfortunately but you can get around that using this: http://www.dns2go.com/index.cfm if you want to run servers and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Bosco
    Also....is it possible to get a static IP address assigned to your connection using any of these technologies?

That depends on your provider. In the US, many providers such as Earthlink allow you to host a server/will give you a static IP for an additional $10 or so per month.
    Originally posted by Bosco
    - ADSL
    - Any other flavour of home user oriented DSL
    - Cable modem
    - Satellite[/B]

In one word: Yes. Be careful to read the terms of service first however, to make sure that you are allowed to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement