Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X02 - "Adrift" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Didn't get around to posting some thoughts on "Adrift" until now.

Enjoyed the different perspective of the same events (Jack in the hatch) and the preceding new scenes with Kate and Locke. Like the 'snowman' joke - I think the same as some other posters on this. This could well be dialogue featured in a future flashback between Desmond and another castaway; he's certainly looking for the answer ('Do you smell carrots?') from "mim", but may be somewhat unsure who "he" is supposed to be. (Incidentally, the snowman joke line was hard to make out for me the first time around - probably Desmond's accent, but I didn't think it was clear at all.)

Love the shark's fin with the dharma symbol. Like the 108/dharma connection posted earlier in the thread - nice detective work.

And most of all, I like - and agree with - the dead man's switch concept. That is very likely to be what's going on with Desmond and the hatch. (I also agree there are probably more hatches scattered across the world, though maybe not the island.) The numbers countdown - and subsequent entering of the numbers - is probably a fail-safe to prove that 'station' is still functioning and manned. But who wants to know that, and why? (And who is delivering the food we saw in the storeroom? Granted, you could give someone powder rations that would be nutritious and last years, but Desmond also appeared to have fresh fruit, so his deliveries must be somewhat regular. (Though he may also be going cherry picking around the island.)

Charlie and the statue - I'm expecting some awful tragedy/row with Claire to push him over the edge in a few weeks. That scene did seem a bit disconnected from the other plots, though. When I first saw that scene - opening with Hurley asking Jack where he was going - I was sure it would open out into the deleted scene from 2x01 (which Good Morning America screened recently), but it turned out not to. (That scene, for anyone who wants to see it, is here: http://www.sparklies.org/~lisa/lost/video/otherpromo/2005_09_22-gma-del-lg.zip)

Haven't mentioned the raft or Michael's flashbacks yet, and I'm not going to go into much detail. In a word, filler.

We knew everything about Michael's custody issues before, nothing new there. The polar bear scene was the only interesting thing in there. I enjoyed the bitchy laywer, and it was good to see Saul Rubinek (Michael's lawyer) in something again (he was great in ST:TNG once upon a time as a space-faring collector), but on the whole, those scenes were dull as dishwater.

The raft scenes' only cool contribution was the shark's stamped tail. Otherwise, nothing of much substance there. I suspect the large number of raft scenes and the relatively simple nature of the flashbacks means that this episode was purposely a 'bottle' show, designed to be filmed at a lower cost than usual. This was probably because of the need to put a lot of money into the Hatch set (which I suspect will be around for a while) and the other season-opening costs.

But that said, when I think of the number of shows which have done excellent bottle shows with scenes between few characters (be it stranded in a lift like on Babylon 5, or detention in Dawson's Creek, for example), Lost did not deliver the goods it could have on this one. I just expected something more. When Locke met Sawyer and Kate in the jungle in 1x16, we learned something about him - he told the story of his sister's death and the dog arriving and his mother believing her daughter had been reincarnated. There was nothing between Michael and Sawyer that came close to revealing anything about either of them. OK, so you could say Michael was too upset and Sawyer too injured, but if they had so little to offer, I'm confused as to why the writers decided to focus on them so much.

I reckon they landed on the other side of the island completely - so are probably several days' trek away from the Cavetown inhabitants. Othersland must be near to where the tail section landed too, based on the promo.
    Winters wrote:
    PLEASE stop using spoiler tags in these threads. The title says "Spoilers" in it for a reason and having to highlight every second persons post is starting to get annoying.

I read this thread from scratch today, and there are several bits in there NOT from 2x02 which either shouldn't be in here, or should have had tags. There's mention of information I think touches on spoilers, including
    Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje appearing soon, Jolene Blalock having a guest role at some point, Michelle Rodriguez (which admittedly was obvious, but not the other two...)

Spoiler tags SHOULD continue to be used for information which is NOT yet in the public domain and it should be clearly marked that the information comes from a future episode. But then I think something as simple as an episode title can give something away I'd rather not have known. One of the fun things I like each week is waiting to find out whose episode it is. The week I saw 1x17 was "..In Translation", I knew it was Jin, and was mad! Anyway, just throwing out the idea that the spoiler tags still have a key purpose and we shouldn't stop using 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

anybody just loving the " make your own kind of music " song? i am...

anybody wonder about the choice of song used? i am....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Good
    Femmy wrote:
    anybody just loving the " make your own kind of music " song? i am...

anybody wonder about the choice of song used? i am....

lol I havn't stopped playing it on me pc, mp3 and any other device i have. It has a great Motown feel to it.

Yeah i wouldnt be surprised if there was a reason why that song was aired in the show. Or did abc get a huge endorsment to use and maybe an Album will re appear...who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Good
    the choice of music can always make a huge addition to a film or tv programme, the auld Mama Cass, is a good example as is evident from the interest in it here, if you listen to the lyrics its a good one for dessie who has been down the hatch on what we can only presume is on his tobler, my other fave at the moment is the layer cake soundtrack, great mix of older tunes and some really good lisa gerrard stuff, hopefully they will release a lost soundtrack...soon ;)

Good
    the choice of music can always make a huge addition to a film or tv programme, the auld Mama Cass, is a good example as is evident from the interest in it here, if you listen to the lyrics its a good one for dessie who has been down the hatch on what we can only presume is on his tobler,

You're gonna be knowin'
    The loneliest kind of lonely
    It may be rough goin'
    Just to do your thing, the hardest thing to do
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

yeah i can see a mama cass album being re realeased alright.

its a very good song, i like it alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Good
    Some wanted to count the scrapes on the wall to see how long desmond was down there ? - heres the screenshot - best of luck

as for the ship in the scene - heres a photo of it for those that missed it

Good
    DjTaz wrote:
    Some wanted to count the scrapes on the wall to see how long desmond was down there ? - heres the screenshot - best of luck

as for the ship in the scene - heres a photo of it for those that missed it

Incase you havn't seen the next episode.........

He's been down there 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

i liked the stuffed polar bear angle, but i think its a red herring. i also dont think that desmond is waiting for a replacement... he knows about the sickness, so i guess he was told about it by the previous hatch occupant... also in ep one he told jack he was going to race around the world.

as for pa qua... clever... but i doubt the tibetens have anything to do with this.

as for 108 minutes... the only thing i can link is that yuri gagarin took 108 minutes to orbit the earth.

... as for the others i think that they are merely other survivors living a la lord of the flies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I think the producers want you to go down the "dead mans switch" road with regard to the resetting the 108 machine...... i can see this as being a cliffhanger of sorts, either end of an episode or series.....i can just see Locke choosing not to enter the numbers and.......voila, nothing happens !! Why would somebody play with anothers mind like that ? This is more psychological then paranormal....with the exception of the black smoke that seemed to change direction, i think everything has a rational explanation, although we dont know them all yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Hi,

I was watching episode 2 of Lost, and 34.29 mins in, when the shark drifts past Sawyer in the water, there's a logo on his tailfin!
    He is part of the security system in some way?

This is my first Lost post, if I'm way behind, go easy on me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Average
    Yeh it was discussed at lenth in the 2x02 episode thread...

Merging threads for cleanliness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Thanks, I read the first page of that thread, and didn't see anything..

I'm now fascinated by the nubmer 108 though, here's Wikipedia's take on it..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_%28number%29
    Aside from the various religious significances/superstitions, nothing massively new there.

I like the theory of the deadman switch, though if he's lost contact with the world, then surely they've disabled his nuclear arsenal! They should have let the timer run out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Average
    I just remembered an episode of the 1980s anime Ulyesses 31 called "The Eternal Punishment", where a man is made push a large metal boulder into a bottomless on an hourly basis for all eternity. The only way he can escape his punishment is if he can get someone to take his place.

This is essentially the same situation with the countdown in the hatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good
    Isn't there some greek thing where a guy is pushing a bolder up a hill for eternity?

Average
    Anima wrote:
    Isn't there some greek thing where a guy is pushing a bolder up a hill for eternity?
    That could be where they got the story from as in the episode it was "Zeus" who was punishing the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Good
    Sucks to be that guy :)

Average
    More info on the Ulysses 31 episode here.

Advertisement