Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresher's Ball

Options
  • 28-09-2005 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

anyone going, considering going to buy a ticket toady since no classes on friday morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

what dates it on? (doubt ill go tho as im not a very "balls" kind of guy... and yes i know how that could be read ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've got my ticket even though I'm in at 9 on friday morning :)
    And its not really a ball, its just a big gig really
    And its on tomorrow night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

B-K-DzR wrote:
    what dates it on? (doubt ill go tho as im not a very "balls" kind of guy... and yes i know how that could be read ;) )

YOU MEAN YOU'VE GOT NO TESTICLES??!?!?!? :D:D:D

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Nearly every event in ucd has the word ball after it eg. screw ball, cherry ball, bunny ball... but they're all just normal nights out in a club.
    There are however black tie ones too such as the eng. ball, arts ball, straus ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

YOU MEAN YOU'VE GOT NO TESTICLES??!?!?!?

You been talking to my mom? She swore she'd never say.

And thanks for clearing that up for me regarding the "balls". Doubt i'll go as ill be knackered after pretty much a full day followed by the gym and jiu jit. Ill see what i feel like tho. I'd be the loner in the corner tho as no 1 i know is going :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

r their still tickets available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

well that was kinda pretty ****.... (opinion, may not count)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

How was it? I was there but got too fúcked and had to be brought home a bit early by my girlfriend. Bugger! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

passive wrote:
    well that was kinda pretty ****.... (opinion, may not count)
    I'm sooooo glad I didn't go now!

Never been to a Freshers Ball before, and since I'm in my final year now, I guess I'll never get to go to one. But if this is the standard, then it's no big loss I spose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

Seifer wrote:
    Nearly every event in ucd has the word ball after it eg. screw ball, cherry ball, bunny ball... but they're all just normal nights out in a club.
    There are however black tie ones too such as the eng. ball, arts ball, straus ball...

i'll just correct you there and say that the strauss ball is a white tie event.

• Advertisement

hey, yeah i was at a fresher's ball last night. To be honest, the worst thing about the night was the "stages". Every stage apart from the main stage under the tent was empty. However, the general buzz around the student centre was the best i've experienced at any ucd event. Another disapointment was the lack of full bars! Only the forum bar had anything other than miller to the best of my knowledge. Your liver does not thank you the day after for starting on vodkas, then going to fat frogs, then going to miller. No sir. In my eyes it was a success, a bit hefty at 30euro, but i suppose it meant that everybody who bought a ticket was totally commited to the event, and the place was just crazy! Spin 1038 were brill, giving out free hats and beachballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

It was ok, atmosphere outside was actually pretty good. Republic of Loose were deadly but it was like the place died after them, was so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I dunno, I guess the Ents office could possibly publicise things more, and maybe people would want to go if the hype was built up - making a loss at all these gigs won't help when it comes to the end of the year, and there have been tons of great gigs on campus that people never even knew about... I'm getting a little pissed off about it.

I heard that it wasn't bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

as far as I know the amount of people was limited due to health and safety - there was over 2500 people there last night. It was always going to happen that every other stage would be empty when GA and they were fantastic and to be honest I really don't think Anto could do anymore to let people know about events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

30 euro was way too much but there was a pretty good buzz and we raved it out severe to groove armada. there were undercover cops there and a few people got lifted. also this guy i know got his nose broken. the best part was when the security tried to get people to leave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

we were all fleeced, 30 euro for a mini-on-campus oxegen, without the tents (but with the portaloos, mind!!!)
    groove armada were ok i suppose, i just got bored, i like crowd-interaction from an artist, even a dj, and just a polite thumbs up to the crowd after an hour on stage doesnt do much for me! so i split at around 1.10, bored, tired, sober and ripped off!
    i say sober because i queued 25 minutes at the forum bar for sambuca shots, ridiculous! three bar staff for 300 people at a time is pretty shoyte, it has to be said, and 2 of them were on taps the whole time, leaving one girl to make you your fat frogs, shots, etc...
    republic of loose were fantastic, but the price they're charging for the event demands a big-name headliner, we're students after all, alot of people spent a third of their week's funds on a ticket for this before they bought a drink!
    id go again next year if they got a relatively big indie rock, britpop or hard rock act to headline, not a dj whose career was revived after 8 or so years of dormancy by a renault clio advert! groove armada's a one hit wonder, they played the phoenix park in 2003 and managed to play a megamix of "i see you baby", lasting no less than 15mins. originality my orse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Despite the short comings of the event, I had great craic. It was a great move to have it on campus, and I hope it'll be back next year. No doubt, everyone will have learned a huge amount from this year's event which will only serve to make next year better.

Fair play to Anthony Kelly btw, he appears to be making a big effort.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

as someone who likes GA, i still don't think they should have been headlining. i think they should just put their energy into the fabled UCD ball - i'll eat my hat if i see one before i leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

as a 23 year old, my class, mostly 20/21 had to man handle me down to the forum to go. even being on the guest list i felt it would be a bot fresher-y for me but had a great time. but can see how a lotta people might not have had a good time. hard to put your finger on why. tent thingy was a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I had a savage night! I didn't see anyone apart from Groove armada who I thought were absolutely amazing. Every other stage was completely empty though so that kinda ruined everywhere else. The fences were a bit of a joke, we were expected to walk all the way to carpark C even though we wanted to leave via the clonskeagh gate. The UCD security seem to have stepped up security though, three of my mates got their student cards taken for drinking on the way up to the ball!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

ucd services did all security on campus while an outside company did all security inside the fence - the fence and tunnel down the concourse were the best and safest way getting everyone off campus.

Simona1986 wrote:
    The fences were a bit of a joke, we were expected to walk all the way to carpark C even though we wanted to leave via the clonskeagh gate.QUOTE]

Aha, there is where the adventure starts! Me and 2 mates swung a left into the car park, by the veterinary building, along the dusty trail (however it was more mucky from the light rains) from there we mission impossibled our way along the deep ravine, through nettles, out by the presidents lodge, from which we were chained by actual Garda, from which we escaped by the back of some new buildings, along the rugby stadium, along the astroturf pitches, jump into a bush to escape patrolling Squad car, and out the richview gate. Easy as hell when your locked off your head. Don't try this at home, actually do, its a great laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Simona1986 wrote:
    The fences were a bit of a joke, we were expected to walk all the way to carpark C even though we wanted to leave via the clonskeagh gate.

Aha, there is where the adventure starts!
    As you can see we didn't follow the rules either. A simple hop over the wall and out the back of the science building and around the far side of the student centre and we were home free.

Advertisement