Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help?

• 28-09-2005 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

It's probably been cover somewhere in this forum but as the search function is currently disabled I'm just goning to have to ask.

I'm not totally au fait with the workings of broadband and I was hoping someone could recommend a provider.

I'm based in Dublin 12 so most providers are available. I would say I'd would be a moderate user, but that's probably more to do with the fact that I'm currently using dial-up (I know don't laugh!),

Using the few bits of info I've picked up it seems that ntl: could give me the best deal (taking contention ratios and allowances into consideration). I've been looking at their broadband starter package.

It's been a while since I checked the figures but the ones I have say €25 per month, Download speed of 1000kbps, Upload Speed of 100kbps, 16gb Download allowance, Contention Ratio of 17:1.

Is this a good deal or is there something better out there.

Also has anyone had problems with the service provided.

Can anyone tell me what a 16gb allowance would give me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I dont know much about other providers but i assume you have you add line rental onto that which would increase it dramatically. Again i have limited experience but smart do a good deal for 35 so look into that too. Plus you have garfield on here (high up in smart and hell fix any prob) as a member of boards to give u excellent help. I know my advice is one sided but just thought id throw it in, might revive the thread at least.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭wandererz

I've been on NTL's service for close to a year now & have had no probs at all. TV service goes a bit flaky every now & again but not the broadband.

Contention seems to be one of the best around. When i signed up i got free install, 3 months free, & basic TV free for a year.

Since i use my mobile all the time rather than a landline, it suits me perfectly not having to pay for a telephone line.

What will 16GB get you:
    -About 22 CD's of data or 4DVDs.

That's much more than you will ever use if you're only on dial-up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Cozpyro wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what a 16gb allowance would give me?

er....16gb perhaps! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

ntl's offer is pretty good. however (but then, if ur on eircom u need a phone line, and the broadband rental, so it comes to close to 44 euros a month anyway.) ntl's is pretty fast. im in dublin 1 and have a 1mb line. im on wifi and i average 120kb/s downloads.(g).

however, the service is sometimes weird. had downtime friday evening, was ok saturday morning and down again the afternoon and working again night.

called them, they first thought my modem was a goner so the only day they could send a technician would have been next saturday (i was appalled). but then turned out it was a whole area fault. (stupid.)

their customer service isnt the easiest to get hold of, but they try their best when uve waited LONG enough to talk to them

id recommend them in the long run id say based on their package.

no other providers are very attractive to me....

i used to have clicksilver, but it wasnt that fast (1mb line)...and i find it kind of expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're planning to keep the phone line, then ADSL with BT Ireland or Smart is cheaper. Smart has very limited availability. Otherwise, go with NTL if you can get their broadband.

• Advertisement
Advertisement